HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Nashville - Toronto

Old
01-14-2009, 04:22 PM
Thefalkon

vCash: 500
Nashville - Toronto

To Nashville:
-Alexei Ponikarovsky

To Toronto:
-Ryan Jones
-2009 2nd/3rd?

Thefalkon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 04:28 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Jones has been awesome for us. No thanks

Counter:
To Nashville: Ponikarovsky
To Toronto: Koistinen + 3rd

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 04:29 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRhockey16 View Post
To Nashville:
-Alexei Ponikarovsky

To Toronto:
-Ryan Jones
-2009 2nd/3rd?
Preds don't have the depth on offense to be able to trade forwards away. Go for a defenseman instead that isn't named Weber, Suter, or Hamhuis.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 04:43 PM
mcphllp
Dion @ 6.5=Discount

I like Koistinen, but Leafs are kinda full on the blue line. I think I would rather keep Poni.

mcphllp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 04:46 PM
IBLeaf*

No thanks from Toronto.

IBLeaf* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 04:58 PM
AddMan3001
Don't poke the bear!

There are a bunch of Preds that I'd love to see in a Leaf's Jersey, but I just don't see these two teams making a deal. They're both fairly deep on the D and although Nashville is not rebuilding they don't seem too keen on taking on huge payroll.

AddMan3001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 05:32 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRhockey16 View Post
To Nashville:
-Alexei Ponikarovsky

To Toronto:
-Ryan Jones
-2009 2nd/3rd?
Ohhhhhh, that's tempting. I've been wanting to add Poni since last season... but I'm not totally sure I want to do it at the expense of Jones considering the current state of the franchise. If we were trying to contend, I would do it in a heartbeat.

If Toronto is looking for young wingers, about the best we could offer is Pihlström (who the coaches like), Hörnqvist (who I like very much), and Andreas Thuresson (still a bit of a project, but has some degree of upside). I think we'd also like to move Cal O'Reilly, who probably won't get a shot at the NHL with this organization unless they give Colin Wilson the shaft next fall. All four of them need some work, but if the Leafs are truly committing to a rebuild, then that shouldn't be much of an issue.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 05:53 PM
pwallll

Ponikarovsky is good but the Predators need more than just him if they want to make the playoffs. If Preds fans don't want to trade Jones i would be happy with Hornqvist or Koistinen but like i said the preds need to add more than just Poni if they are serious about the playoffs this season.

pwallll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 06:50 PM
Predsrule

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortez View Post
Ponikarovsky is good but the Predators need more than just him if they want to make the playoffs. If Preds fans don't want to trade Jones i would be happy with Hornqvist or Koistinen but like i said the preds need to add more than just Poni if they are serious about the playoffs this season.

yes bc its not like were only 3 points out of 8th or anything oh wait..... and we just got a big bost in sully... and IF he can stay healthy i think we surprise everyone AGAIN and sneak in.. that being said we can use poni

i offer Kevin Klein just bc poni is a ok LW

Predsrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 06:52 PM
re5piration
'67 til

Wilson instead!

re5piration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 06:56 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

Quote:
Agreed, we're still three players away: a winger, a center, and a defenseman. We may have the winger in Sullivan, but I'd still like to add Poni to turn what was once our ultimate weakness into one of our biggest strengths.

Imagine those lines (assuming we DON'T trade Jones):

Legwand-Arnott-Erat
Jones-Santorelli-Sullivan
Ponikarovsky-Bonk-Dumont
Smithson-Fiddler-Ward
Some combination of Tootoo ,Nichol, and Belak

I like that set-up... a lot.

Old
01-14-2009, 07:05 PM
Predsrule

Quote:
Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever View Post
Agreed, we're still three players away: a winger, a center, and a defenseman. We may have the winger in Sullivan, but I'd still like to add Poni to turn what was once our ultimate weakness into one of our biggest strengths.

Imagine those lines (assuming we DON'T trade Jones):

Legwand-Arnott-Erat
Ponikarovsky-Bonk-Dumont
Smithson-Fiddler-Ward
Some combination of Tootoo ,Nichol, and Belak

I like that set-up... a lot.
your a Nashville fan? ok
1) we DON'T need another d
2) WHY IS Dumont on the 3rd line!!?
3) we dont need another center i think bonk is a good 3rd line center for his price
4)lets say we get pony with out giving up roster players we have lines something like this

Erat-Arnott-Dumont
Poni-Legwand-Sully
Jones-Bonk-Santorelli
Smithson-Fiddler-Tootoo

Ryan Suter- Shea Weber
Dan Hamhuis- Greg Zanon
Ville Koistinen- Greg de Vries

Old
01-14-2009, 08:06 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predsrule View Post
1) we DON'T need another d
Yes, we do. De Vries has been adequate, but if he goes down, we have to put Koistinen out there with Klein, and while I like Klein, he's still learning the game and is prone to mistakes. Putting VK out there with him, who isn't very fast, takes positional risks that he often can't recover from, and is also weak in front of the net, magnifies Klein's mistakes a good five- or ten-fold. Adding another defenseman who is either faster and/or more sound positionally than VK would be an enormous help to Klein. This defenseman could prove to be Sulzer (we'll find out tomorrow, I guess), and that would be a huge improvement by giving us three defense pairings that we can roll.

Quote:
2) WHY IS Dumont on the 3rd line!!?
Because he's struggling, first of all, and it's critical to get the most ice time for the most effective players, and if he can score a couple of goals on that line and get things going, then that line gets more TOI. Second of all, to spread out the opposing defense. That's the beauty of having so many forwards that can score on you. You force the defense to play Whack-A-Mole: when one line is shut down, one or, in the case of very good offensive teams, two lines can score on you and still beat you, now matter how well one line is contained.

Quote:
3) we dont need another center i think bonk is a good 3rd line center for his price
I would agree that Bonk is an adequate #3 center if we go with a split-line system (2 scoring, 2 checking), but with a pair of scoring wingers on that line (regardless of which two), I think he may be a bit out-of-place and we should explore an upgrade. Someone like Reinprecht or Comrie, a rental player that could give that line some extra offensive spark. Cal O'Reilly may or may not do the job, but the odds of him getting a shot with the current state of the organization up the middle are slim.

Quote:
4)lets say we get pony with out giving up roster players we have lines something like this

Erat-Arnott-Dumont
Poni-Legwand-Sully
Jones-Bonk-Santorelli
Smithson-Fiddler-Tootoo

Ryan Suter- Shea Weber
Dan Hamhuis- Greg Zanon
Ville Koistinen- Greg de Vries
Awful. Positively awful. Erat-Arnott-Dumont didn't work before, it's not going to now. Moving Legwand back to center after he's come alive on the left side is a huge mistake, as is separating him from Erat. Santorelli has also played center in all four games and should stay there. You also completely omitted Klein from the lineup when he's a better overall player than Koistinen. Plus Sulzer, who could stick and force VK out the middle.

A lineup like this:

Legwand-Arnott-Erat
Ponikarovsky-Reinprecht-Dumont
Smithson-Bonk-Ward
Belak, Ward/Nichol/Tootoo/Fiddler

Weber-Suter
Hamhuis-Sulzer/Zanon
Klein-Sulzer/Zanon
De Vries

Rinne
Ellis

That's a playoff team. Three lines that can score and a shut-down line, a solid defense corps, and one of the best goalie tandems in the NHL.

Of course, it's all moot because ownership aren't willing to spend even that kind of money. Although, if we can put ourselves in a position to make the playoffs, we might make a couple of moves to solidify our roster and give us a leg up on the competition.

Old
01-14-2009, 08:18 PM
grabo84

Preds looked pretty good last night against the leafs. So far as Poni goes, he's signed for next year, so the leafs aren't really under any pressure to deal him. I think they'll probably keep him for next year. Hard to say what he's worth, especially with the extra year on his contract.

By the way, you guys have a great prospect in Wilson... I was really impressed by him at the world juniors. It looked to me like he had better speed than people give him credit for, just a smart, strong player.

grabo84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 08:30 PM
pwallll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predsrule View Post
yes bc its not like were only 3 points out of 8th or anything oh wait..... and we just got a big bost in sully... and IF he can stay healthy i think we surprise everyone AGAIN and sneak in.. that being said we can use poni

i offer Kevin Klein just bc poni is a ok LW
You sure you want to just sneak in? or do you want to compete for the cup? You need a few more players if you want to compete against San Jose and Detroit.

pwallll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 08:33 PM
Dark Knight
#TheStroShow

Alexei Ponikarovsky
5th '10

Patrick Hornqvist
O'Reilly

Dark Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 08:45 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

Quote:
You sure you want to just sneak in? or do you want to compete for the cup? You need a few more players if you want to compete against San Jose and Detroit.
We don't quite have the team to compete for the Cup just yet, and we don't have the financial resources of some of the more established clubs. This year, we want to give our younger players some ice time and add whatever we can to get to the playoffs in a very competitive West, because we need the money for ownership to be able to justify continuing to spend significantly over the cap floor like they have this season.

Poni is almost an ideal addition because he's also signed for next year, which means we have one less piece we have to add to make ourselves more competitive. He's also a consistent 20 goal scorer signed at <$3M. You can't beat that with a stick.

Old
01-14-2009, 08:45 PM
Predsrule

Quote:
at least 2 home games in the playoffs really help us with the money... and to truly compete we need to spend more then the cap floor and we cant afford to do that

Old
01-14-2009, 09:11 PM
bleuetbio

Both teams are defencemen sellers, you're not trade partner at all

bleuetbio is offline   Reply With Quote