Go Back   HFBoards > Hockey Talk by Country > Germany

jerome flaake

Old
12-29-2008, 07:48 AM
zecke26

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLeastOfTheBunch View Post
Why do you think he will never make to the NHL? Just wondering.
he's german!

seriously, i don't like his skating. and the other problem will be cologne. it's pretty much the same with gogulla. instead of going to the AHL, adapting the rink size, some grit and learn to skate better, he stays in the DEL, the slowest league in europe (!!!).

the DEL is far from being a good league to develop young players. not only that it's hard to get ice-time, especially on special teams, it's simply the wrong style. i can understand that the teams want to keep their talents as long as possible, but a lot has to change first.

berlin and lately krefeld try to play faster, but that has to be just the start.

so if flaake wants to become a NHLer, he needs to cross the pond soon. very soon.

zecke26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2008, 04:23 PM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
Originally Posted by zecke26 View Post
he's german!

seriously, i don't like his skating. and the other problem will be cologne. it's pretty much the same with gogulla. instead of going to the AHL, adapting the rink size, some grit and learn to skate better, he stays in the DEL, the slowest league in europe (!!!).

the DEL is far from being a good league to develop young players. not only that it's hard to get ice-time, especially on special teams, it's simply the wrong style. i can understand that the teams want to keep their talents as long as possible, but a lot has to change first.

berlin and lately krefeld try to play faster, but that has to be just the start.

so if flaake wants to become a NHLer, he needs to cross the pond soon. very soon.
He wanted to, reportedly, but Cologne wouldn't release him from his contract which I think has another year on it.

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 03:39 AM
PIMking

He could play in the AHL since he is not a product of the CHL.

PIMking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2009, 05:23 AM
Bobeez

Right now he plays 1st Line and #1 PP Unit for Cologne

Bobeez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2009, 05:38 AM
zecke26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobeez View Post
Right now he plays 1st Line and #1 PP Unit for Cologne
and failed to score a lot yesterday. his playmaking skills are pretty good, but his finishing...oh dear...

zecke26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2009, 07:55 AM
Bobeez

And hit the post once as he finally had beaten Pelletier. But it is hard to beat Pelle nowadays He and Gogulla really impressed me yesterday!

But Cologne has a very good corps of good prospects in their system

Last edited by Bobeez: 01-10-2009 at 04:23 PM. Reason: spending to much time with corpses in the anatomy
Old
01-10-2009, 12:05 PM
Sanderson

Yeah, Pelletier is having an amazing season, though he was sound asleep on Gogulla's shot from behind the blueline that hit the post.

I certainly hope that Cologne doesn't have any corpses in their system (sorry, couldn't resist )

Sanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2009, 12:14 PM
FrancoRussianAlaskan
Liter-a-cola

I'd rather have one decent living prospect than the corpse of a good prospect. lol

FrancoRussianAlaskan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2009, 04:14 PM
Bobeez

Good one

I see, I'm spending too much time in the anatomy atm

Old
01-12-2009, 12:27 AM
Stripes

Latest news out of Prince George is that Flaake wants to join the Cougars, but as mentioned, contract issues will likely prevent that from happening this season. The Cougars sounded confident that he would be in the WHL next season.

Stripes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2009, 04:46 PM
Salzig
I am laudable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zecke26 View Post
he's german!

seriously, i don't like his skating. and the other problem will be cologne. it's pretty much the same with gogulla. instead of going to the AHL, adapting the rink size, some grit and learn to skate better, he stays in the DEL, the slowest league in europe (!!!)
?

Gogulla wanted to stay in Cologne! He doesn't want to play AHL... He makes more money playing in Cologne, gets lots of icetime and feels more comfortable here. It was Gogulla's choice to stay in Cologne.

I think that Flaake will head into the WHL next year. He said that he doesn't want to stay in Cologne because he wants to get into the North American style of hockey while playing WHL.

Salzig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 09:25 PM
Madic

What's stopping Flaake from simply leaving next year if Cologne refuses to release him from his last contract year...? Is it simply not wanting to piss off the team he may one day return to (should his NHL aspirations not be achieved), or would they prevent him from playing internationally...? Just seems odd to me. If he wants to go, next year, just go. The Cougars won't care what Cologne wants.

Madic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 11:58 PM
Sanderson

Flaake is under contract, if you have a contract, you fullfil it. It's one thing to have an out-clause for the NHL, it's something totally different to simply leave, this is neither the NHL nor Russia...
Breach of contract is a rather expensive matter, not to mention not exactly helpful for your career.

Besides, aren't the CHL-leagues part of Hockey Canada and thus part of the IIHF?
If yes, it's not even possible. As long as Cologne doesn't want him to leave, Flaake would never be allowed to suit up.

If he really wants to leave, Cologne might think about it. Quite a few players weren't supposed to leave for juniors but the teams let them go in the end. Last summer simply was a bad time for Cologne to lose yet another player, with Ciernik gone, the uncertainty about Gogulla and Robert Müller's health issues. This summer may be different.
Other way around that matter, Toronto could sign him and assign him to juniors.

Sanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2009, 02:45 AM
Stripes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanderson View Post
Besides, aren't the CHL-leagues part of Hockey Canada and thus part of the IIHF?
No.

Each of the three CHL leagues (WHL, OHL and LHJMQ) operate on their own. They even write their own rulebooks. They are more of an association than a national league, even though it is called the Canadian Hockey League and they play the Memorial Cup annually.

Although the CHL supports Hockey Canada and vice versa, Hockey Canada does not govern the CHL.

The IIHF also does not govern Hockey Canada. They are two separate bodies. The IIHF cannot tell Hockey Canada what to do.

Stripes is offline   Reply With Quote