HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > The AHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The AHL Discuss the American Hockey League; its players, teams, and games.

The suffering of AHL fans

Old
01-10-2009, 11:30 PM
SP

vCash: 500
The suffering of AHL fans

Binghamton Senators fans have not had a very good time recently. The last few years, the team has been godawful, mostly due to lousy asset management and drafting.

When Murray took over, he made an effort to improve Binigo. He signed a new coach, a GM, made a few free agent signings, signed some of our draft picks, and made some minor trades to improve the team. This year was the first year in a while (minus the lockout year), when they had a good playoff calibre team.

Unfortunately, Ottawa also went into the toilet, resulting in Bingp's top 3 forwards, top 2 defensemen and starting goalie, among others, being called up for extended periods. Brenden Bell seems to be sticking with Ottawa, and according to Pierre LeBrun, Elliott is going to be our starting goalie for the foreseeable future.

It's gotta be hard to cheer for this team, and I know a number of Bingo fans resent Ottawa for it. I guess that's the downside of European leagues feel.

Is this pretty typical of AHL fans? Is there always a love-hate relationship with their NHL affiliate?

SP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2009, 11:50 PM
Majik1987
I know kung fu...

The plight of following an AHL team. I'd say most fans get mad at the parent at some point.

A few years ago, the Chicago fanbase was ready for a change. Injuries to Atlanta's goalies resulting in call-ups made the Wolves real thin in goal. They had a different guy starting every night. On top of that, the players sent assigned to the team through picks or signings were not that great. The Wolves wound up missing the playoffs for the first time.

Things have gotten better since then. I think everyone is satisfied right now with Atlanta.

01-11-2009, 01:57 AM
PIMking

QC is kinda the same way. Calgary is only interested in getting the guys ready for the nhl. They dont care if QC losses all 80 games and they dont care about the fans.

PIMking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2009, 01:47 PM
Rumblick

Quote:
Originally Posted by PIMking View Post
QC is kinda the same way. Calgary is only interested in getting the guys ready for the nhl. They dont care if QC losses all 80 games and they dont care about the fans.
Ditto with the Devils.

The AHL - NHL relationship is always about what the team has done lately. You mention Colorado to a Hershey fan, and many of them point to the lockout season when they didn't help us the way they could have. They seem to forget that we had a Calder Cup team, a Conference Finalist and a slew of good prospects in the first 5 years of the agreement. The talent pool dries up eventually and you have the downslide, which is generally when the screaming starts in the AHL city. The current setup with the Bears is so beloved only because (A) the Caps are more flexible about the use of veterans, and (B) the Caps were SO bad for SO long that the prospect pool is pretty deep.

It all somes down to the level of prospects (and some teams are better at that end of it), and how much freedom the parent club gives the affiliate.

Rumblick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2009, 01:58 PM
sabrefan27

The Amerks have had a real rough time with parent clubs lately. Buffalo's decision to switch to a dual affiliation was a killer and started the decline. Now we're with Florida, and Amerks fans want to kick them out before the first year is up. Although, things have been much better the last month with a winning record since the end of November.

sabrefan27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2009, 03:32 PM
Kashew*

Send a message via AIM to Kashew* Send a message via MSN to Kashew*
Well I hate the Canes. They ravaged a great AHL team to make a god awful NHL team.

Kashew* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 11:27 PM
Bananafan

I think that kinda makes the players play harder though....knowing that your play on a day to day basis plays a role in whether you see the NHL or not.

And realistically , I think most of the AHL players want to play in the NHL... so its kind of bittersweet.

The AHL is a great league. I love watching their games... but in the end, they are there for the NHL teams to build players... aren't they?

Bananafan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 11:36 PM
sabrefan27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bananafan View Post
I think that kinda makes the players play harder though....knowing that your play on a day to day basis plays a role in whether you see the NHL or not.

And realistically , I think most of the AHL players want to play in the NHL... so its kind of bittersweet.

The AHL is a great league. I love watching their games... but in the end, they are there for the NHL teams to build players... aren't they?
Yes. Although some teams (most notably Chicago, Hershey, Rochester, Manitoba) place more of an emphasis on winning.

sabrefan27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2009, 07:06 AM
kdfsjljklgjfg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Explosm View Post
Well I hate the Canes. They ravaged a great AHL team to make a god awful NHL team.
As an Albany STH, I really don't mind them. They had a horrific prospect pool when you factor in AHL eligibility (negating Boychuk, Sutter, Bowman, Murphy for this year, among others), other than defense, which is fairly decent, so it's not like we were bound to rocket past everyone else anyway.

But in the 2 years they've been affiliated with Albany, they'ved signed for them: Ryan, Leighton (ended up paying off for them too), and Helminen, all of whom have or are making a significant impact with the team.

kdfsjljklgjfg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2009, 07:23 AM
wjhl2009fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Tooth Grin View Post
Binghamton Senators fans have not had a very good time recently. The last few years, the team has been godawful, mostly due to lousy asset management and drafting.

When Murray took over, he made an effort to improve Binigo. He signed a new coach, a GM, made a few free agent signings, signed some of our draft picks, and made some minor trades to improve the team. This year was the first year in a while (minus the lockout year), when they had a good playoff calibre team.

Unfortunately, Ottawa also went into the toilet, resulting in Bingp's top 3 forwards, top 2 defensemen and starting goalie, among others, being called up for extended periods. Brenden Bell seems to be sticking with Ottawa, and according to Pierre LeBrun, Elliott is going to be our starting goalie for the foreseeable future.

It's gotta be hard to cheer for this team, and I know a number of Bingo fans resent Ottawa for it. I guess that's the downside of European leagues feel.

Is this pretty typical of AHL fans? Is there always a love-hate relationship with their NHL affiliate?
People have to understand ahl teams for the most part are there for the nhl teams.Is it fair no but thats how it is.

wjhl2009fan is offline   Reply With Quote