HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Specific question about less exspensive blades.

Old
01-14-2009, 02:56 PM
tobyandmisty

vCash: 500
Specific question about less exspensive blades.

I see there is a lot of talk about how much to spend on a skate. I know when I first tried rollerblading, I had the cheap ones ($50.00), tried a better pair ($150) and it made all the difference in the world of how I enjoyed the game. I could definately see how on rollerblades it would be a big difference due to the set up of the skate.

I have a pair of Bauers in the $65.00 range because I went out and bought everything (about $400) at once and could not rationalize spending that much on ice hockey skates. Now I have been playing and enjoying a lot. If I were to spend more for a better pair of ice hockey skates, am I going to see improvements in my skating like I did in the rollerblades?

For instance, I can stop pretty decent. I can not kick up alot of ice as I would like. If I were to go to a more exspensive skate would I possibly be able to do this due to the better blade or will I have basically the same results and need to keep on practicing. My skates have been sharpened.

tobyandmisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 03:44 PM
Synergy27

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobyandmisty View Post
For instance, I can stop pretty decent. I can not kick up alot of ice as I would like. If I were to go to a more exspensive skate would I possibly be able to do this due to the better blade or will I have basically the same results and need to keep on practicing. My skates have been sharpened.
Why, exactly, do you want to kick up a lot of ice? This has little to do with the blades, by the way, and everything to do with how fast you're going. You're probably thinking about watching an NHL Dman go back for an icing touch-up and wishing that you could spray the glass that way. The only thing he's doing differently than you are (most likely) is skating very, very fast. It's hard to comprehend how fast these guys are actually moving.

Synergy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2009, 05:39 AM
tobyandmisty

That is what I kind of figured.

I will run these skates into the ground.

tobyandmisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2009, 07:41 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I bought some $75 Bauers when I first started, and they lasted about three months. Cheap skates simply are not made to hold up well. They are very flimsy and soft. When you try to turn quickly or stop, they may bend or twist.

You will see improvement with better skates. Stiffer materials mean your movement and energy will transfer to the ice, not be lost by shifting and twisting the material. The blades also stay sharper longer and often the holders will feel a bit more springy.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote