HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

What would it take to get Kyle Wilson

Old
01-13-2009, 03:36 PM
Jaysfanatic*
BJ Elitist/Hipster

vCash: 500
What would it take to get Kyle Wilson

30 points in 40 games for Hershey, +8 on the year. Is he going anywhere or just a career AHLer?

Jaysfanatic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 03:37 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

AHLer

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 03:42 PM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

It's tough to say actually whether he's got any real upside. It's an uphill battle for him, that's for sure. I'm a bit surprised he didn't get any shots as a callup this season so far but I guess that tells you much of what you might want to know about his position on our depth chart.

Why are you interested, does Lowell need scoring help or are you thinking of him more as a prospect?

EDIT: He's an impending RFA, and it wouldn't surprise me *too* much if he weren't qualified simply because we'll have a decent number of guys looking to turn pro next season (Taylor for sure, probably Broda, possibly Kugryshev, etc.) but you never know I guess.

brs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 03:50 PM
Jaysfanatic*
BJ Elitist/Hipster

I just like the kid. Think he's a hard worker and could be good on the penalty kill if given a chance? Sometimes it takes a while for these guys to develop but he's big and highlights make it look like he's got a bit of a knack of getting open when need be. He also had 61 points last year which isn't too bad. Thought he might get a shot as a 4th liner or something.

Old
01-13-2009, 06:13 PM
stanleycaps98
I cheer for laundry

I'll trade you Wilson and Nylander for a 3rd rounder.

stanleycaps98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 07:25 PM
Jaysfanatic*
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanleycaps98 View Post
I'll trade you Wilson and Nylander for a 3rd rounder.
No thanks. I'll trade you Wilson for a 3rd, you keep Nylander.

Old
01-13-2009, 10:04 PM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

Probably, he could be had for a minimal cost. Maybe a 6th tops?

He probably will become available on the UFA market sooner rather than later, as he isn't in line to be a Cap soon.

Chimaera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 08:10 PM
sk84fun_dc

If Wilson, who turned 24yo in December, is going to make it to the next level he needs to add strength and get better in the faceoff circle, which will contribute to improvement in his defensive and all-around play, too. And now the jinxes, Wilson doesn't take many penalties and he doesn't miss many, if any, games (he played all 80 games last season; all the playoff games the Bears played the last 2 seasons; and is one of 2 Bears not to miss a game this season to date.)

08-09 stats

As noted, he's RFA (his QO is somewhere around 630,000) this summer so the Caps have a decision to make.

It's early, but I drafted a list recently trying to start to make guesses about what happens with contracts for the 2009-2010 season. In terms of centers that are RFA, I had question marks next to Joudrey and Wilson depending on the trade deadline for the Capitals organization, the centers performance/role the rest of the season, what happens with some of the NHL roster UFAs and RFAs, etc. It's possible Wilson could be moved at the trade deadline if it improves the organization, an AHL player of positional need coming back or a draft pick?, in particular if they don't plan to offer him a QO; IMO, too early to know.

In terms of centers currently playing in Hershey that are signed for next season, the Caps have Aucoin, Perreault and Beagle. The Caps started the season with extra centers on the NHL roster and for the most part that position hasn’t been the one that has seen players recalled. The only player called up by the Caps to play center has been Aucoin, IIRC. For the most part, Woods has kept the rookie line intact with Perreault at center (note Bouchard didn't play a couple of games recently).

Beagle was high on the depth chart during the preseason but while both are centers, Wilson and Beagle play different roles with Beagle in more of the checking and PK role. Of note, Beagle has been out with a concussion and is playing his first game (on Wilson's wing) in a long time tonight.

OT: The lack of center recalls has also impacted ECHL call-ups with Morin being in SC all season while wingers have been called up (along with I assume whatever Morin did in his limited call-ups and play last season with Hershey given they haven‘t given him another look despite his all around play and success for SC. I assume Morin is not extended a QO, but I do think he will get an AHL contract from another org. for next season (I guess it’s also possible he could go over to Europe.))

Last edited by sk84fun_dc: 01-14-2009 at 08:22 PM.
sk84fun_dc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2009, 01:11 AM
Jaysfanatic*
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk84fun_dc View Post
If Wilson, who turned 24yo in December, is going to make it to the next level he needs to add strength and get better in the faceoff circle, which will contribute to improvement in his defensive and all-around play, too. And now the jinxes, Wilson doesn't take many penalties and he doesn't miss many, if any, games (he played all 80 games last season; all the playoff games the Bears played the last 2 seasons; and is one of 2 Bears not to miss a game this season to date.)

08-09 stats

As noted, he's RFA (his QO is somewhere around 630,000) this summer so the Caps have a decision to make.

It's early, but I drafted a list recently trying to start to make guesses about what happens with contracts for the 2009-2010 season. In terms of centers that are RFA, I had question marks next to Joudrey and Wilson depending on the trade deadline for the Capitals organization, the centers performance/role the rest of the season, what happens with some of the NHL roster UFAs and RFAs, etc. It's possible Wilson could be moved at the trade deadline if it improves the organization, an AHL player of positional need coming back or a draft pick?, in particular if they don't plan to offer him a QO; IMO, too early to know.

In terms of centers currently playing in Hershey that are signed for next season, the Caps have Aucoin, Perreault and Beagle. The Caps started the season with extra centers on the NHL roster and for the most part that position hasnít been the one that has seen players recalled. The only player called up by the Caps to play center has been Aucoin, IIRC. For the most part, Woods has kept the rookie line intact with Perreault at center (note Bouchard didn't play a couple of games recently).

Beagle was high on the depth chart during the preseason but while both are centers, Wilson and Beagle play different roles with Beagle in more of the checking and PK role. Of note, Beagle has been out with a concussion and is playing his first game (on Wilson's wing) in a long time tonight.

OT: The lack of center recalls has also impacted ECHL call-ups with Morin being in SC all season while wingers have been called up (along with I assume whatever Morin did in his limited call-ups and play last season with Hershey given they havenĎt given him another look despite his all around play and success for SC. I assume Morin is not extended a QO, but I do think he will get an AHL contract from another org. for next season (I guess itís also possible he could go over to Europe.))
Isn't Ky better than Keith Aucoin?

Old
01-15-2009, 08:17 AM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilsfanatic View Post
Isn't Ky better than Keith Aucoin?
Not in the AHL, who knows what it'd be like at the NHL level. Tough to say as neither are really important in any meaningful way to the Capitals at the NHL level, they're both there for the Bears only (Aucoin's callup notwithstanding).

brs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2009, 09:44 AM
Foy

Vrana.

Foy is offline   Reply With Quote