HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Why do we need Kovalev when we have Andrei Kostsitsyn.

Closed Thread

Old
08-03-2004, 11:48 PM
Skylab

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean Beliveau
Andrei Kostsitsyn is younger, cheaper and would most likely score as many goals as Kovalev would this year if Julien provides him the icetime.

Kostsitsyn is probably the most talented player in the organization right now so why not give him the opportunity to play with Koivu and Zednik on the 1st line and PP.

Ilya Kovalchuk was given the chance to prove himself at the age of 18 and look at the results since.
You might let him play in North America, let alone the NHL, before you start suggesting that he will come anywhere near potting as many goals as Kovalev. 14 last year in an off year, but 37, 32 and 44 goal years prior to that. You are being beyond optimistic to claim that Kostitsyn would score that many goals in his debut.

I think you are also stretching when you suggest that he should be successful because Kovalchuk was as an 18 year old.

He is a great prospect, but he has a lot to prove before he warrants any comparisons to Kovalev or Kovalchuk!

Last edited by Skylab: 08-04-2004 at 01:48 PM.
Old
08-04-2004, 12:20 AM
db23

Kostitsyn has 0 goals and 1 point in 17 RSL games so far. Kovalev had played 50 games at the same age and had 17 goals already. The RSL was a lot more competitive 10 years ago as well, since there were far fewer defections to North America.

Old
08-04-2004, 08:19 AM
mcphee

You don't pen a guy's name into the lineup until he earns a job. If he has a great pre season, BG and staff will have a decision to make. He won't get a job until he earns one. As for his talent level and whether he is or isn't an elite prospect, let's let him show us. If he makes the team and puts up 30 alongside Saku, I'm sure DB will apologize with a smile on his face. There is no reason to hand him a job or not to pursue an experienced scoring winger at this point though.

Old
08-04-2004, 08:32 AM
jacklours

Quote:
Originally Posted by db23
Kostitsyn has 0 goals and 1 point in 17 RSL games so far. Kovalev had played 50 games at the same age and had 17 goals already. The RSL was a lot more competitive 10 years ago as well, since there were far fewer defections to North America.
There you go, back with your stats again. When will you understand you can make stats say anything. I could turn them around and day : Well Kovalev scored all he could when he was younger while Kastytsyn is yet to. So we should bring him on the first line so he can explode and score a bunch of goal. Geez stop backing up your opinion with stats!

Also if you want to talk about stats, give the whole picture, 10 years ago, there were probably a whole bunch of goals scored like there was in the NHL. Who were Kovalev's teammates? Who are Kost. teammates? I heard Kost had problem with the coach, well maybe Kovalev didn't and he played on PP all the time. Also, maybe the year after Kovalev scored 17 goals, maybe he scored none. What would've happened if kost did play 50 games. Maybe them 17 games Kost ''played'' means he was on the line-up, but wasn't dressed.

Listen, I respect your opinion, you have the right to believe that someone won't make it t the NHL and that he ain't as gifted as people seem to think he is. But If you feel like using stats only, at least show the big picture don't only use the little tiny part that you need in order to support your point. Cause in many cases I can use your stats and find a way to prove a point that says a completely different ting than yours.

I have a yellow paper beside me, it's easy to only look at this paper and assume that the only color thast exists is yellow, and from what I can see that's what you do all the time with your stats.

Listen, I respect your opinion, you have the right to believe that someone won't make it t the NHL and that he ain't as gifted as people seem to think he is.

Last edited by jacklours: 08-04-2004 at 08:36 AM.
Old
08-04-2004, 08:35 AM
eddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by db23
If they don't sign Kovalev they will sign someone else to fill thie role.
Yes i'm pretty positive that if BG can't get Kovy he will go for another winger capable of playing the 1st line wing with Koivu and Zed.

Old
08-04-2004, 08:55 AM
Stefan_Latulippe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakermania
1) He has to learn how to play defensive hockey before he can make this team. We are a playoff team that doesn't need a liability on the ice going -30 for us. And what better teacher is there for him than Doug Jarvis??
If he is so gifted offensively, I don't see him going MINUS 30 playing with Saku. Pierre Dagenais was PLUS 15 last year and according to 90% of posters here, can't play defense....

Old
08-04-2004, 08:58 AM
Bileur

Old
08-04-2004, 09:34 AM
HABitude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan_Latulippe
If he is so gifted offensively, I don't see him going MINUS 30 playing with Saku. Pierre Dagenais was PLUS 15 last year and according to 90% of posters here, can't play defense....
Saying Kosts playing with Koivu will end up the season with minus 30 is a bit extreme. Koivu is too good at both ends to have such a bad stats. If Kosts really sucks defense play, playing with Koivu it would end the season with minus 15.
The way I see it, if Kost is playing with Koivu and it doesn't work as expected, let's say this line is minus 8 after 20 games, Koivu will ask to remove Kost from his line because Koivu is in the last year of his contract. Koivu would be in a bad position to have a salary raise if his stats shows a minus 15 this season.

Old
08-04-2004, 09:36 AM
jacklours

Quote:
Originally Posted by HABitude
Saying Kosts playing with Koivu will end up the season with minus 30 is a bit extreme. Koivu is too good at both ends to have such a bad stats. If Kosts really sucks defense play, playing with Koivu it would end the season with minus 15.
The way I see it, if Kost is playing with Koivu and it doesn't work as expected, let's say this line is minus 8 after 20 games, Koivu will ask to remove Kost from his line because Koivu is in the last year of his contract. Koivu would be in a bad position to have a salary raise if his stats shows a minus 15 this season.
Well, that's what dude was saying, even though he may sucks defensively, if he's so gifted, his +- won't be so bad cause he'll get so many points

Old
08-04-2004, 09:45 AM
HABitude

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacklours
Well, that's what dude was saying, even though he may sucks defensively, if he's so gifted, his +- won't be so bad cause he'll get so many points
I'm all with Kosts supporters, I do beleive in Kosts myself. Even if his stas shows a minus, it wont be as bad as minus 30. I could be wrong. It will all depends on how Kosts will perform in regular training camp and NHL pre-games. Then his skills will be confronted with real NHL level.

I think he will be scratched (one of the last) and be sendt to Hamilton. Just the time to learn the basic of english, learn the basics of physical play and NA style, he will come back after Xmas with the big team.

Old
08-04-2004, 12:23 PM
jacklours

Quote:
Originally Posted by HABitude
I'm all with Kosts supporters, I do beleive in Kosts myself. Even if his stas shows a minus, it wont be as bad as minus 30. I could be wrong. It will all depends on how Kosts will perform in regular training camp and NHL pre-games. Then his skills will be confronted with real NHL level.

I think he will be scratched (one of the last) and be sendt to Hamilton. Just the time to learn the basic of english, learn the basics of physical play and NA style, he will come back after Xmas with the big team.
I don't think he's ready either (not that i've seen him play, but I do believe he needs NA adaptation). But I was just summarizing buddy's post cause you answered him the same thing he told you. So I just thought you missed on his points. I wasn't debating anything or whatsoever.

Old
08-04-2004, 01:16 PM
Duster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean Beliveau
When was the last time Montreal had a rookie with the talent level of Andrei Kostsitsyn. If the kid has got the skillset to play in the NHL right away then I say just do it. He might not be able to play defense as well as he should in the beginning but he was not drafted to play defense he was drafted to score goals.
I really believe that he can bypass the AHL this year and play in the NHL.

Fortune favors the bold.
There are old people and there are bold people. There are no old bold people. Why rush him? A year with Jarvis certainly won't do him any harm. He is still a kid and he's moving to an entirely new culture and way of life. It takes time to absorb all this. Last thing he needs is the boo birds at the Bell Centre and the media getting on his case because he's not an immediate superhero.

I doubt Kovalev is coming back so he may yet get an opportunity if he shines in the AHL.

Closed Thread