HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

When Can I Fight?

Old
01-10-2009, 03:46 PM
Terror91
Lets Do It.

vCash: 500
When Can I Fight?

How high do I have to go to be able to fight and NOT get kicked out? Balance is probably the biggest thing I have going for me. I'm pretty strong as well. I don't have great hands. I'm better defensively but I feel the only way I can go anywhere in hockey is in fighting. I've been kicked out of games, many games, before for fighting as to. Just wondering.

Terror91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2009, 03:49 PM
Dgill

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oshniak View Post
How high do I have to go to be able to fight and NOT get kicked out? Balance is probably the biggest thing I have going for me. I'm pretty strong as well. I don't have great hands. I'm better defensively but I feel the only way I can go anywhere in hockey is in fighting. I've been kicked out of games, many games, before for fighting as to. Just wondering.
Junoir/Major Junoirs leagues is what it is in Canada, excluding CIS.

Dgill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2009, 03:54 PM
zakhawk91

join a junior league dude. im 17 and was thinking about my nearby jr team but didnt because i wanted to add some size before i went up against 20 year olds. i would hold my own playing wise, but when it would come down to the physicality, im only 145 pounds so i want to get stronger first. i live in dallas and if u join a jr league u can fight so yea take a look at jr hockey. good luck

zakhawk91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2009, 01:23 AM
vivianmb

Quote:

come up to winnipeg. i'll fight ya.
juniors or pros. that's it.

vivianmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2009, 09:18 AM
Brunomics

Quote:
there is no place in hockey for fighting

i fought a lot in my day, if you want to be bale to hold your own I suggest taking some boxing classes in your free time. It really does help and it's great being able to snap the jab when someone doesn't expect it.

Brunomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2009, 08:25 AM
stick9

The only way you are going to anywhere in hockey will be based on your game. You won't be out there in leagues where fighting is allowed if you can't play at that level. Playing at that level will be based on your game, not your fighting. Fighting is something players can add to their game later on.

Instead of spending time honing your fighting skills, use that time to work on your game. Two hours in the gym hitting a heavy bag or two hours working on shooting, stick handling, and foot work...

stick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 10:02 AM
Terror91
Lets Do It.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stick9 View Post
The only way you are going to anywhere in hockey will be based on your game. You won't be out there in leagues where fighting is allowed if you can't play at that level. Playing at that level will be based on your game, not your fighting. Fighting is something players can add to their game later on.

Instead of spending time honing your fighting skills, use that time to work on your game. Two hours in the gym hitting a heavy bag or two hours working on shooting, stick handling, and foot work...
I do work on my game as well. But fighting is something I really want to add to my game to help me along in the future.

Terror91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 11:10 AM
qwertysac

Most likely when you don't have to wear a cage anymnore, you can start fighting

qwertysac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 05:18 PM
funktasticblues93

Send a message via Yahoo to funktasticblues93
The only way you can fight, is if you make a Junior team, there are a few low level junior C and B teams in the St.Louis area. There are teams that call themselfs "Junior B" but basically it's kinda good kids who have money and still want to play hockey.

funktasticblues93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 05:23 PM
funktasticblues93

Send a message via Yahoo to funktasticblues93
check out this team. They play out of US Ice Sportsplex In Fairview Heghts Il.

http://www.hometeamsonline.com/teams...s&s=hockey&t=c

funktasticblues93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 05:34 PM
shattuck13

you can fight whenever, but if your league declares it a game suspension, than you will be thrown out of that game and possibly another one.

ncaa throws players out, so does most HS leagues that i know of. juniors and pros wont throw you out of the game though (most dont, although im sure there are some that do).

shattuck13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 11:41 PM
Leroux 66

In my HS league fighting is a mandatory one game suspension, sometimes more depending on what team you play for, what type of mood the board of directors is in, who you fight, and how much damage you do. Two years ago, (my sophomore year) our leading goal scorer, about 6'2 185lbs. guy got ambushed by 2 guys from the other team in like our 3rd to last regular season game. He dispatched of the two chumps quite easily, even though everyone still had gloves and cages on, jab to one kids cage and haymaker to the side of the others head, he then tried to skate away and was pursued by the other teams goalie, who he actually judo flipped over his shoulder and onto the ice, ending the supposed fight. Our player received a 3 game suspension, while the opposing players received nothing, but hey, it was hilarious to watch such a feutile attempt at an ambush.

Leroux 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 11:43 PM
noobman

Quote:
Consider taking up MMA.

If you *really* want to be a heavyweight fighter in high level hockey you're going to have to become a very good skater. There will always be a roster spot in the NHL for a big guy that skates well.

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2009, 11:26 AM
slamigo
Skate or Die!

fighting is trending out of hockey, so you'd be better off picking a hockey skill that suits your natural talents. If you are tough, well balanced, you'd probably be a good hitter, maybe good at working the boards, tying guys up a bit.

Until you are the best skater on the ice, I wouldn't consider working on anything else. Keep working on your skating. Skating is what separates hockey players at pretty much every level. If you have good balance and are strong, keep working on your skating.

In Canada, starting today (Thursday, Jan. 15, 2008) it is against the OHL rules to remove your chin strap, visor, helmet, whatever (or that of another skater) to engage in a fight. It won't be long until that is a rule in the AHL as well. EVERYBODY in the AHL wears a visor now. That rule is somewhat new also. So where does that leave fighting? You want to break your knuckles and wrist joints pounding on some dude's helmet and visor? Fighting is on the way out. Only a matter of time.

slamigo is offline   Reply With Quote