HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

"Don't Believe The Hype" Official Vincent Lecavalier Thread- Part IV

Closed Thread

Old
01-15-2009, 03:09 PM
LastRide

vCash: 500
Eklund has something new up but its more mumble jumble.

Old
01-15-2009, 03:09 PM
Fido22

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjbhab View Post
LOL at the grin on Lawton's face when he says lecavalier is going nowhere..
The grin is because he is lying through his teeth and knows everybody in the room knows he is when he says he never shopped Vinny.

Old
01-15-2009, 03:11 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Bolts asking for Markov = automatic dealbreaker.

Every time Markov misses a game our team looks like garbage...can you imagine having to do without him, permanently?

Old
01-15-2009, 03:12 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastRide View Post
TFP is reporting Markov has to be in the deal from what Tampa wants. Plus Subban and draft picks. http://www.thefourthperiod.com/news/mtl090115.html
Sorry Vinny, no deal.

Richards was traded for Mike Smith and Jusi Jokinen, I hope Gainey is not nuts enough to include Markov in any negotiation. Even Higgins Plekanec Subban plus 1st is too much IMHO.

Old
01-15-2009, 03:14 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

I think they realise that if they keep him at some point their team will be bankrupt as they can't trade him after July 1st.

Old
01-15-2009, 03:14 PM
Naoned
HFBoards Sponsor

I'd love to have Lecavalier, but not for Markov. We are a top 6 teams in the league without Vinny, and I'm far from being sure we would be without Markov.

Old
01-15-2009, 03:18 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Another reason why Eklund should be called the most stupid hockey blogger on the planet :

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Eklun...roblem/1/18892

""""""I keep hearing many of you Habs fans out there saying that there is "no way we trade Markov or Komisarek." Really? Ok, now this is no slight on either of those two great players in any way, shape or form. Both All-stars. Both legit top line D. However, some perspective may be needed. I talked to an older (sorry aging) retired GM about this and he put it perfectly.

You need to be comfortable that ten years from now when someone asks you why you didn't trade for Vinny LeCavalier, you can look them straight in the eye with confidence and say, 'Because I didn't want to give up Markov or Komisarek.'"

I think that sums it up perfectly. Opportunities like this one call for a much greater perspective."""""

Yeah, who was that retired GM you were talking to Ek? His name wouldn't be Mike, now wouldn't it? And his initials are the same, right?

What the shortsided Ek doesn't understand is that defense wins championships.

Eklund should stop his self-gratification and chest pomping and instead wonder what it has brought Tampa to trade Boyle.

Only someone with limited hockey knowledge would trade our best Dmen to someone who is shackeled by a dire situation.

What Ek should realize is that BG knows better and has shown he knows better.

For what its worth, I'd be pretty happy if Ek would become the GM of the Flyers (another team without great Ds and look how they are doing with so much firepower)... or better yet, don't do it in your hometown, do it in Detroit so they won't be competitive anymore.

Last edited by Habs10Habs: 01-15-2009 at 04:04 PM. Reason: Added link.
Old
01-15-2009, 03:19 PM
LastRide

Once Tampa said Markov has to be included. Right there I would say Bob said no way and talks shut down right on the spot. Now Tampa's organization is trying to save face with Vinny and the fans saying he wasn't being shopped.

Old
01-15-2009, 03:20 PM
Belso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fido22 View Post
My take, ownership decided, in the end and after having reviewed the offers, not to trade him. I don't think he will be traded after that Lawton press conference, that was too much of a door slammed shut.....not til after the season at least.

What a joke of an organization. I have never seen this level of stupidity.

The thing is, Vinny may not be on board anymore. That we'll have to see.
I agree with you that it is possible after having foretasted their options and decided to stick with Vinny, it was easy to do this press conference and to calm Vinny. It was reported 2 days ago that nothing would happen for at least 48 hours. There you go. They have thought about it and chose to stick with Vinny.

But I agree what there's no way the Media in Montreal didn't call him. We know our crazy media here and if he says he didn't get one phone call then I call BS..

But where it stands, chances are they won't be trading him anytime soon so I'm off this thread until Bob or Brian changes their minds and start to talk trades. I've spent too much time here hoping for a trade and I need to get back to more important things (At least for now)...

Old
01-15-2009, 03:20 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
I think they realise that if they keep him at some point their team will be bankrupt as they can't trade him after July 1st.
That's why its not over. Lawton and the owners think they can manage this trade talk like some player's agent talk for contract negociation, its not the case.

Lawton will be back, and next time, he'll lower his demands. he won't have a choice. Altho he might take a lesser deal from another team, pissed that BG didn't take his offer.

Old
01-15-2009, 03:22 PM
Jee
@DeuxiemeJumeau

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
That's why its not over. Lawton and the owners think they can manage this trade talk like some player's agent talk for contract negociation, its not the case.

Lawton will be back, and next time, he'll lower his demands. he won't have a choice. Altho he might take a lesser deal from another team, pissed that BG didn't take his offer.
Lecavalier would have to agree, though

except if Lawton is really the biggest d**khead ever.

Old
01-15-2009, 03:23 PM
m00ks

They prolly asked for Markov + Subban + pick so they can flip Markov for more prospects and more picks. A bit counter productive to take on a near 6 million dollar contract when your trying to shed salary.

Old
01-15-2009, 03:24 PM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastRide View Post
Once Tampa said Markov has to be included. Right there I would say Bob said no way and talks shut down right on the spot. Now Tampa's organization is trying to save face with Vinny and the fans saying he wasn't being shopped.
My thought exactly.. They will wait till they make sure to have the best offer on the table for Vinny.. I wouldnt be surprised to see it last till the draft.. But one thing seems pretty clear to me, Vinny will be traded.

Old
01-15-2009, 03:25 PM
GoneAway

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsEra View Post
My thought exactly.. They will wait till they make sure to have the best offer on the table for Vinny.. I wouldnt be surprised to see it last till draft.. But one thing seems pretty clear to me, Vinny will be traded.
Congrats on the name change and the new avatar/

Old
01-15-2009, 03:26 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffonfire View Post
Lecavalier would have to agree, though

except if Lawton is really the biggest d**khead ever.
Well Vinny has no NTC till July 1st.... and Boyle was threatened and had a NTC already. There's already a precendence for them acting this way.

Old
01-15-2009, 03:27 PM
Jee
@DeuxiemeJumeau

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
Well Vinny has no NTC till July 1st.... and Boyle was threatened and had a NTC already. There's already a precendence for them acting this way.
sure. But Boyle is no Lecavalier.

Lecavalier IS the Lightning.

if they do that to him, then be sure this team will fold sooner than expected.

Old
01-15-2009, 03:27 PM
LePoche69

There is so much noise about all this "Lecavalier with Habs" thing that I can't see it happening. Did you guys ever saw a trade being discussed so much weeks before it actualy happens? It won't happen.

If I absolutly have to bet on an eventual destination for Lecavalier, it would be Chicago. They have plenty of interesting young and talented d-men to give, and they could add a guy like Toews, which habs don't have.

Old
01-15-2009, 03:30 PM
Jee
@DeuxiemeJumeau

Quote:
Originally Posted by LePoche69 View Post
There is so much noise about all this "Lecavalier with Habs" thing that I can't see it happening. Did you guys ever saw a trade being discussed so much weeks before it actualy happens? It won't happen.
yeah but things have never gotten so far... I mean, when Lecavalier does an interview with another city's journalist to tell he's hurt... you have to wonder.

Old
01-15-2009, 03:30 PM
lou4gehrig

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsEra View Post
My thought exactly.. They will wait till they make sure to have the best offer on the table for Vinny.. I wouldnt be surprised to see it last till the draft.. But one thing seems pretty clear to me, Vinny will be traded.
It never lasts that long. When they say "he won't be traded soon", they mean there is no trade imminent. It's just a matter of finding the rights pieces on both sides.

Even in this article: http://www.tampabays10.com/news/loca...=98207&catid=8

Lawton says no trade today or tomorrow or anytime soon.

Yet, Vinny says "seems to have more legs" than in the past.

If Vinny is psychologically ready to be traded, there's no going back IMHO. I mean Vinny could come out today and demand a trade.

All I know is Lawton and the owners and alot of people could be alot more definitive in their desire to keep him. All you see from them is the minimum amount of saying they want to keep him.

The article also says Lawton talked to Vinny a few days ago. Really? What the hell? They're not talking everyday? Sounds like some animosity between the two.

Old
01-15-2009, 03:31 PM
jcpenny

Quote:

If I absolutly have to bet on an eventual destination for Lecavalier, it would be Chicago. They have plenty of interesting young and talented d-men to give, and they could add a guy like Toews, which habs don't have.
Giving a guy like Toews for Lecavalier would be a very bad idea...

Old
01-15-2009, 03:32 PM
Habs_Apostle

Quote:
Originally Posted by fufonzo View Post
To be fair, it was a different management team that traded Boyle.

I don't understand why people are so surprised. We go through this every few months.
I would think most posters here are level-headed enough that they're not surprised in the least. In fact, despite hoping for Vinny in the right deal, I think most of us would be in shock if it actually happend. Most of us have been through this way too many times to get too excited. While I do think we need someone of this caliber (a great center and/or D-man) to really make a serious run at the cup (and the fact that Bob keeps trying so hard tells me he realizes it too), I'm still overjoyed with the team we have (present and future). Anyways, I hope it doesn't affect those (Pleks and Higgy) rumoured to have been going the other way.

Old
01-15-2009, 03:33 PM
Fido22

Quote:
Originally Posted by lou4gehrig View Post
All you see from them is the minimum amount of saying they want to keep him.
VERY good point.

Old
01-15-2009, 03:36 PM
Phil Parent
Is Watching The D

We cannot give up the following in a trade, unless it is for Crosby, Ovechkin or Malkin.

Price
Komisarek
Markov
Pacioretty
Andrei Kostitsyn (And by ricochet, Sergei)

Any of those is a non-starter for me. Unless it is for the three mentionned above.

This potential trade is a non-factor for me. With him we win within 3 years, without him we win within 3 years.

Old
01-15-2009, 03:37 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:

Chicago doesn't have as much free space from pending UFAs. And the contracts they will have to dish out in the near future are much bigger than what the Habs will have to dish out, especially with the bad signing (in terms of total $ given) to Sharp. It created a precedent on their team where you'll see young stars like Toews and Kane wanting more than Sharp.

They are way better off keeping Toews.

Old
01-15-2009, 03:37 PM
Chomsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fido22 View Post
My take, ownership decided, in the end and after having reviewed the offers, not to trade him. I don't think he will be traded after that Lawton press conference, that was too much of a door slammed shut.....not til after the season at least.

What a joke of an organization. I have never seen this level of stupidity.

The thing is, Vinny may not be on board anymore. That we'll have to see.
I said it from the beginning, it smelled like a leak that took Lawton by surprised, then a huge overreaction by the Media to sell papers and create a huge hype.

Apparently I was right.

People need to understand that names are exchanged everyday, and like Lawton said, he received calls to inquire about his availability. Lawton probably taunted them by asking what they were ready to offer, but then there was a leak who ****ed him up big time. Then I'm guessing Vinny and the head-office met to sort things out and Vinny was pissed that they were even thinking about trading him, breaking his trust.

A true soap opera ladies and gents.

Feel free to give your version of what you think happened.

Closed Thread