HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > The KHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The KHL Discuss the Continental Hockey League (Kontinentalnaya Hokkeynaya Liga).

Great article on KHL in Toronto Star...

Old
12-17-2008, 01:13 PM
Siberian

vCash: 500
Now Ushakov, Kabanov's agent says basically that nothing was said about the corruption. To summarize his and Kabanov's father comment it seems that The Toronto Star's reporter was very biased and all his questions were asked in a manner to present the KHL in a negative way.

Siberian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2008, 02:20 PM
Metallian*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Den View Post
Here we go again.

"I never said that. He changed my words". Blah, blah. Not even funny anymore. Although, honetsly, I don't think Kabanov knows such words as "immitation"
exactly. classic PR coverup. of course the agent is going to deny these things after the fact. the kid just started in the KHL and already he's spitting in their faces, calling it a corrupt imitation hockey league....

Metallian* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2008, 02:20 PM
Siberian

Russians accuse Toronto Star in anti-KHL agenda

http://sport.gazeta.ru/sport/2008/12/a_2912880.shtml

Gazeta.ru interviewed Ushakov and Kabanov's father regarding this article in Toronto Star http://www.thestar.com/sports/article/554295

According to these people the reporter had a very clear agenda to paint the KHL black. He was asking all kind of questions to try to lead the conversation to the corruption in the KHL etc. Ushakov, Kabanov's agent (JP Barry's Russian assistant) says that the reporter basically framed Kabanov, who now is in Switzerland crying about this article.

Old
12-17-2008, 02:24 PM
Zine

Normally I'd say the Kabanov's are doing damage control; but it's hard not to believe them when these artcles are nothing but negativity.

Seriously, what kind of journaist goes on and on and on about cheerleaders in the stands.

Zine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2008, 02:39 PM
Den

Lysenkov/Strizhenov/whoever gotta write a masterpiece about opera singer/firemen band/beasty boys whaling the anthem for hours. Or "alcholol selling NHL" with beer in the stands, or something along those lines. Just find something to dirty the paper with...

Den is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2008, 03:22 PM
Metallian*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zine View Post
Normally I'd say the Kabanov's are doing damage control; but it's hard not to believe them when these artcles are nothing but negativity.

Seriously, what kind of journaist goes on and on and on about cheerleaders in the stands.
this was a direct quote, though

Old
12-17-2008, 03:28 PM
Metallian*

what i didnt get was the part about the food being bad, "vegetables being like dessert"

what the hell? theres no good restaurants in russia? BS

Old
12-22-2008, 12:37 AM
Canadian_Kiddo

Kabanov: KHL is an "imitation league" and "full of corruption"

Quote:
Kabanov: KHL is an "imitation league" and "full of corruption"

The KHL has received a stunning rebuke from a 16-year-old budding Russian superstar Kirill Kabanov - who some believe may knock Taylor Hall from the first overall pick of the 2010 NHL Entry Draft when all is said and done.

Kabanov who plays for Spartak Moscow’s in the KHL and at the junior level made his feelings clear when interviewed in the presence of his father, Sergei Kabanov and Russian agent, Gennadi Ushakov.

“It doesn’t matter how much money they offer me here,” Kabanov said. “Even with more money, life is more exciting in North America. In Canada, if you play like a star, you’re treated that way. The NHL is a league with 100 years of history. The KHL has a bad name. It’s an imitation league. And it’s full of corruption.”

Kabanov’s father leaned over to Ushakov to ask his advice, “Should he say that?” Continue reading here...
Looks like no KHL for this youngstar. Score one for the NHL.

Canadian_Kiddo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2008, 01:32 AM
Siberian

Also, Kabanov's father wrote a letter to the KHL basically saying that the reporter lied, twisted some words.

Last edited by Siberian: 12-22-2008 at 01:40 AM.
Old
12-22-2008, 01:50 AM
Garl

All the "explanation letter" is bs. Don't think that the journalist really lied about Kabanov's words. Agent and father are just trying to make journalist an anti-russian mofo to not make young Kabanov a public scapegoat.

Kabanov must be more careful speaking in public. Even if he knows what's he is speaking about and is right.

P.S. RT is a pathetic channel really.

Garl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2008, 01:52 AM
Garl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattlehead View Post
what i didnt get was the part about the food being bad, "vegetables being like dessert"

what the hell? theres no good restaurants in russia? BS
There are but maybe he prefers a "home food". Or maybe he doesn't have enough money to eat in this restaurants.

Garl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2008, 08:12 AM
v-man

Being someone who's had lies printed about him in the Toronto Star before, I wouldn't put it past the journalist to make things up, however, in this case it looks like the kid's family is simply regretting that what was actually said. It's never a good idea calling the people giving your son 20,000 bucks a month to play in a junior league corrupt, and then announcing you're going to jump ship ASAP. The tone of the article is clearly biased towards being anti KHL/Russia, and it seems to be poorly researched to begin with by someone not familiar with the culture, and obviously someone who's never seen an ice girl in the NHL, of which there are lots. All he had to do was stop off in Riga on his way back to see another side to the league, without the hostility between fans, corruption in the front office and poor food (by his standards) in the concourse.

Last edited by v-man: 12-22-2008 at 08:18 AM.
v-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2009, 09:48 AM
dybbuk

Are people really surprised that the star screwed something up? It's a pretty terrible read usually.

dybbuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2009, 09:44 PM
MRocketR

Kirill Kabanov and KHL Standards (article)

If you guys haven't heard of this kid yet, you probably will soon. I thought it would be interesting to share for those who are not aware of him yet.

I found it interesting that this 16 year old Russian who makes $20,000 (USD) a month has been putting up numbers that are at least on par or even better than Ovechkin & Malkin when they we're at that age. Kirill Kabanov has actually received great reviews from North American scouts and is so far projected to be an early #1 pick in the 2010 draft ahead of Taylor Hall (OHL) and Mikael Granlund (Finland).

This was an interesting article in how this 16 year old criticized the KHL and plans on fleeing once his contract is over. There's also a video segment about the leagues low quality and standards and a photo of the kid.

It talks about how the KHL is going to set up a junior league and a draft (for N.A. players included believe it or not).

Quote:
"It doesn't matter how much money they offer me here," Kabanov said. "Even with more money, life is more exciting in North America. In Canada, if you play like a star, you're treated that way. The NHL is a league with 100 years of history. The KHL has a bad name. It's an imitation league. And it's full of corruption."

As Kabanov criticized the fledgling KHL, his father Sergei, who was a boxing champion in the military, leaned toward Gennadi Ushakov, a player agent trying to sign Kabanov.

"Should he say that?" Kabanov's barrel-chested father asked.

"He's right," Ushakov shrugged.
This was a really interesting article (though it's 2 weeks old) by the Toronto Star. I hope you enjoy:

http://www.thestar.com/sports/article/554295

MRocketR is offline   Reply With Quote