HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Chipchura

Old
01-16-2009, 12:22 AM
NewHabsEra*

vCash: 500
Chipchura

Is it just me or Chipchura is clearly not NHL level yet? I thought we would get an improved Chipchura when called up but its rather the opposite, I thought he regressed from the camp, I remember him having a pretty strong game against Detroit and hoped he would build on that but right now his lack of speed hurt him, he doesnt even win his battles for the puck, has difficulties to contain his man down low and I see nothing exceptional defensively, look lost at time..

Im at the point where Im starting to doubt about his future with the Habs..

Last edited by NewHabsEra*: 01-16-2009 at 12:41 AM.
NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2009, 12:27 AM
Rushin Joo

Send a message via MSN to Rushin Joo
He was pretty good against NJ, but has looked flat since then. I don't know what it is...

Rushin Joo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2009, 12:29 AM
Jeffrey

Send a message via MSN to Jeffrey
I didnt like the pick at the time and still question it but IMO he would need more than 8 games to adust to the NHL.

IMO he could play as our 4th line center next year but I wouldn't ask for much. One thing is for sure he's a good leader to have in the locker room !

Jeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2009, 12:30 AM
LastRide

Watching the last few games our 4th line has been kind of crappy of late. They play a lot of minutes it seems, and they play in their own end on their heels. No offense of any kind what so ever. Just strugling trying to keep the puck out of the net.

LastRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2009, 12:31 AM
Joey

Send a message via MSN to Joey
Give him 15-20 more games. He'll round out, trust me

Joey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2009, 12:33 AM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey View Post
Give him 15-20 more games. He'll round out, trust me
The problem on the 4th line isn't Chipchura IMO... its been Dago... he's the first guy to go down when the injured parties get back.

Chips is a fourth line defensive centre... I don't know what more you expect out of the guy... I think he is playing decent for his role. Hes definetely NHL calibre, but there is no room for him when we are all healthy.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2009, 12:38 AM
mlandry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacioretty67 View Post
The problem on the 4th line isn't Chipchura IMO... its been Dago... he's the first guy to go down when the injured parties get back.

Chips is a fourth line defensive centre... I don't know what more you expect out of the guy... I think he is playing decent for his role. Hes definetely NHL calibre, but there is no room for him when we are all healthy.
I agree about D'Agostini. It's kind of a dissapointment, but he needs to play on the top lines to be effective and our healthy team has better top 6 players. When Koivu comes back, I hope Carbo puts D'Agostini back with him for a few matches at least and gives him another chance.

I guess anyone can look good when they play with a good playmaker like Koivu.

mlandry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2009, 12:49 AM
hogtownhabsfan*

He doesn't look like the same player we saw last year at times. I can't recall a good play he's made since his callup, and he's turned the puck over a bunch, which is not his what I remember of him.

hogtownhabsfan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2009, 12:54 AM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlandry View Post
I agree about D'Agostini. It's kind of a dissapointment, but he needs to play on the top lines to be effective and our healthy team has better top 6 players. When Koivu comes back, I hope Carbo puts D'Agostini back with him for a few matches at least and gives him another chance.

Richard Zednik, Jan Bulis, Brian Savage, and numerous others who have been on Koivu's wing over the years agree.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2009, 01:46 AM
Lone Rogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlandry View Post
Sadly, its taken until 2009 for people to realize this.

Lone Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2009, 02:02 AM
Habsfan2992
One of the 1st

IMO he's just a plugger and will amount to nothing more. I sure as hell hope that if there is anything truly happening trade wise that he is apart of it before all of his value ..if he even has any...dissipates

Habsfan2992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2009, 02:21 AM
Arctic_Hab_Fan

4 games...throw him into the gutter??? I'm sure glad non of you are scouts.

Arctic_Hab_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2009, 02:40 AM
Habsfan2992
One of the 1st

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic_Hab_Fan View Post
4 games...throw him into the gutter??? I'm sure glad non of you are scouts.
Seriously I'm not that type that if a player doesn't score 4 goals a game we need to throw him to the dogs so to speak but honestly take your glasses off for a moment is he any better than anyone currently on our 3rd or 4th line? IMO I don't think so ...so why do we need another plugger?

Habsfan2992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2009, 03:10 AM
kalessin

If this forum ran the team we would amount to nothing because when rookies failed to produce within a handful of games they would be released, only to be replaced with - ironically - even younger players.

Get real, development doesn't happen overnight.

kalessin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2009, 07:55 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Either he's injured or either he has regressed. But he's clearly not at an NHL level, his hockey sense right now is just not up to part with the speed of the NHL....but he's untouchable....

I'm really underwhelmed by him right now.

Or it's just a question of confidence. We'll see how the games goes from now on. But seeing him live for the first time this year with the big boys, I was dissapointed to say the least.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2009, 08:01 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Either he's injured or either he has regressed.
Agreed. Last year I was pleasantly surprised with his play before he got sent down, so I had high expectations when he was called up this year...but he doesn't look like the same player at all.

Last edited by Habs10Habs: 01-16-2009 at 08:33 AM. Reason: Removed the personal comments.
hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2009, 08:52 AM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 50
He hasn't impressed me, but he's not getting top line minutes so there's no concern. Whether not he's NHL caliber right now or ever, he's the next best center we have in the system. I don't see him as a 4th line guy, he's not the same mold as a lapierre, he's more like a checking line defensive center rather than energy player, and for me, that may be a reason to his lack of success. You wonder if a guy needs several minutes, or to play with certain linemates to get in a groove, maybe Chipchura is one of those guys. If so, it's obviously not worth keeping him if he has exclusive playing ability or something.

Either way, if management doesn't like his progression by trade deadline, he might be the one packaged for a player.

By the way, I think Chipchura will play in the NHL, but as every game goes by you wonder if it's with us, I get a feeling he'd do wonders on a west coast team for some reason.

LyricalLyricist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2009, 09:19 AM
Iwishihadacup

D'ago is clearly not fit for a grinding role... And Chip need more time

Iwishihadacup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2009, 09:28 AM
gillyguzzler

Agreed that Chipchura has contributed next to nothing. He doesn't look hungry and intense enough. He does nothing offensively, is not strong on the puck and is a liability defensively. It's his 3rd year pro and he hasn't improved much it seems. Maybe he'll be packaged as part of a bigger trade.

I'd prefer to see Bégin play center and Stewart be added to the 4th line. At least he'll show energy and can win a fight or two so that Bégin doesn't get the crap beaten out of him again.

gillyguzzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2009, 09:33 AM
MTL-rules

He seems to be too good for the AHL and not good enough for the NHL...

It's clear that he needs time in the NHL to develop into a solid NHLer, but the problem is that the habs are a great team who wants to win now. They have better player than him to play now and not much time and room to take time to develop him...

I wouldn't be suprised if he's traded...

I think he'll develop into a very good 3rd liner... but it doesn't look like it's going to be MTL... or will he be ready next year for a full-time job?

Maybe, but right now... I can't wait for Koivu to come back.

MTL-rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2009, 09:48 AM
guapo23

(waiting for Erika Kostitsyn to show up & bash Chpichura)

guapo23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2009, 09:51 AM
Miller Time

some of you guys are really too much for me...

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2009, 10:01 AM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by NhlGuy View Post
Seriously I'm not that type that if a player doesn't score 4 goals a game we need to throw him to the dogs so to speak but honestly take your glasses off for a moment is he any better than anyone currently on our 3rd or 4th line? IMO I don't think so ...so why do we need another plugger?
First off all, it can take quite a number of games for a player to get comfortable. It took Halak quite some time as well, but he's coming around.
Second of all, there's a reason why we call them 1st-2nd-3rd-4th lines. 3rd lines are better than 4th, just like 1st are usually better than 2nd, 3rd..etc..
But do not forget our 3rd line as been our most consistent and best line for the past month.
Thirdly, D'Ago has been a ghost since Koivu went down, and well Begin..what did you expect out of that line?..

I think he still needs some time to find his rhythm, and needs to be matched up with the right players.
That being said, he's probably out once Koivu's back.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2009, 10:06 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsEra View Post
Is it just me or Chipchura is clearly not NHL level yet? I thought we would get an improved Chipchura when called up but its rather the opposite, I thought he regressed from the camp, I remember him having a pretty strong game against Detroit and hoped he would build on that but right now his lack of speed hurt him, he doesnt even win his battles for the puck, has difficulties to contain his man down low and I see nothing exceptional defensively, look lost at time..

Im at the point where Im starting to doubt about his future with the Habs..
He seemed a lot more comfortable on the wing his last time here, maybe he thinks too much at center instead of just being strong along the boards and going North-South.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2009, 10:20 AM
CanadienErrant*

Chipchura = Jason Ward

Good guys with some leadership qualities, but with marginal NHL talent.

CanadienErrant* is offline   Reply With Quote