HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What is your ideal 4th line?

View Poll Results: Your ideal 4th line combination
Fredrik Sjostrom - Blair Betts - Colton Orr 24 46.15%
Aaron Voros - Blair Betts - Colton Orr 1 1.92%
Dan Fritsche - Blair Betts - Colton Orr 2 3.85%
Dan Fritsche - Blair Betts - Aaron Voros 3 5.77%
Fredrik Sjostrom - Blair Betts - Dan Fritsche 13 25.00%
Fredrik Sjostrom - Blair Betts - Aaron Voros 9 17.31%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Old
01-16-2009, 10:40 AM
Garfinkel1

vCash: 500
What is your ideal 4th line?

Dan Fritsche| |Aaron Voros| |Fredrik Sjostrom| |Blair Betts| |Colton Orr

Out of these players, What combo would you like to see for our 4th line on a regular basis.

My opinion
Fritsche-Betts-Sjostrom
(Throw in Orr against big teams)

I like that lines Speed and offensive capabilities that the other combo's just don't have.

Garfinkel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2009, 10:43 AM
Fletch

depends on the game. Betts at center, at all times. Sometimes I wouldn't mind seeing Voros-Betts-Orr. I wouldn't mind seeing Sjo-Betts-Fritsche. I don't mind Sjo-Betts-Orr. There are ways to work all those guys into the lineup and get them in 50-60 games per season. Depends on who's the opponent and what kind of game you want to bring.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2009, 10:46 AM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
depends on the game. Betts at center, at all times. Sometimes I wouldn't mind seeing Voros-Betts-Orr. I wouldn't mind seeing Sjo-Betts-Fritsche. I don't mind Sjo-Betts-Orr. There are ways to work all those guys into the lineup and get them in 50-60 games per season. Depends on who's the opponent and what kind of game you want to bring.
I agree with this 100%.

Tonight against the 'Hawks I think it would be nice to not have Orr in the lineup, seeing as I feel like we could use a little more speed....

we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2009, 10:52 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

The current fourth line has done nothing wrong really so i would leave it the same, but as Fletch pointed out, and we've talked about this before- i would like to see Fritsche or Voros sprinkled in there for Orr, because its not necessary for him to be in every single game.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2009, 10:56 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

Sjostrom - Betts - Fritsche would be a very fast, very effective forechecking line. But it's hard to say the current line needs to be adjusted.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2009, 11:12 AM
Fletch

trx...

if that speed adds to one more goal every ten games, and no more goals against, then it would've been worthwhile. Could be the difference in a few games a year, and if your fourth line makes a difference in a few extra games a year, that's about all you're going to ask of them.

Old
01-16-2009, 11:24 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Of those listed:

Sjostrom - Betts - Fritsche.

I find Orr useless most of the time.

I would like to have as much speed and skill in the lineup as possible, at all times.

I believe Sjostrom, Betts, and Fritsche have more skill then they are given credit for. That's not to say they are anything other then 4th line players, but they are EXCELLENT 4th line players.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2009, 11:26 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
if that speed adds to one more goal every ten games, and no more goals against, then it would've been worthwhile. Could be the difference in a few games a year, and if your fourth line makes a difference in a few extra games a year, that's about all you're going to ask of them.
I agree.

A couple of extra wins is 4 or more points.

That could mean the difference between home ice or not.

That could be the difference between 8th seed and 9th.

I don't think Orr or Voros really contribute anything important, however.

Orr's purpose is to deter other teams' enforcers... which he rarely does.

If you have a team full of speedy, gritty, skilled players, the enforcers won't be much of an issue anyway.

Old
01-16-2009, 11:30 AM
Dagoon44

Send a message via AIM to Dagoon44 Send a message via Yahoo to Dagoon44
Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
Of those listed:

Sjostrom - Betts - Fritsche.

I find Orr useless most of the time.

I would like to have as much speed and skill in the lineup as possible, at all times.

I believe Sjostrom, Betts, and Fritsche have more skill then they are given credit for. That's not to say they are anything other then 4th line players, but they are EXCELLENT 4th line players.
Dude please watch the games more often . Orr brings a side to the Rangers they lack big time without him. Remember the last time he didn't play a game the owner stepped in and slapped Renney in the ass. Orr protects and fights for his teammates. A fact you ignore cause Freddie the shoe can skate fast in circles

Dagoon44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2009, 11:33 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

I prefer Orr for now, Fritsche if this were playoff time.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2009, 11:41 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagoon44 View Post
Dude please watch the games more often . Orr brings a side to the Rangers they lack big time without him. Remember the last time he didn't play a game the owner stepped in and slapped Renney in the ass. Orr protects and fights for his teammates. A fact you ignore cause Freddie the shoe can skate fast in circles
Dagoon...

Please stop with these baseless insults to get your point across. It doesn't make your point valid.

Also, we all know you are a proponent of the skill-less goon.

However, the fact still remains that he has no skill. He can't skate. And he rarely fights anymore.

2 fights in his last 13 games...

A team that struggles to put the puck in the net should be utilizing as much skill as possible, from top to bottom.

The Rangers won't win home ice advantage in the playoffs because Orr fights every once in a while.

They will win home ice advantage because they score more goals then their opponent as often as possible.

Old
01-16-2009, 11:46 AM
Fletch

Dagoon...

I think Orr has come a long way and I do like him in the lineup, but in no way do I think he's a deterrent. This was evidenced recently when Chris Neil was hitting (I believe Staal) recently and ran free over everyone. It seems to happen every game. he's not a deterrent at all, unless he's actually on the ice against the aggressor.

Old
01-16-2009, 11:52 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
I think Orr has come a long way and I do like him in the lineup, but in no way do I think he's a deterrent. This was evidenced recently when Chris Neil was hitting (I believe Staal) recently and ran free over everyone. It seems to happen every game. he's not a deterrent at all, unless he's actually on the ice against the aggressor.
Exactly.

What did he do when, i believe it was Comeau, ran Rozsival and injured him and then on his next shift did the same to Staal...

He really doesn't do anything.

I believe the team needs more sandpaper upfront. I've said it numerous times in separate threads... but sandpaper doesn't come at the cost of hockey skill.

Tuomo Ruutu, Sean Avery, someone like that... who can aggravate the other team.... but they still have skill, and can skate, and keep up with the play.

Old
01-16-2009, 11:52 AM
Larry Melnyk

Quote:
Spot on. None of these players other then Betts deserves to play every game..The 4th line, as is, is probably the worst offensive 4th line in the NHL....Sjostrom is a black hole on offense (his lack of production no matter the linemates is laughable)..Orr is perhpas one of the three worst skaters in the game and his goon vs goon fights serve no purpose....However, it's good to have Orr's presence at times as well as his ability to throw and receive a punch in there now and then, as it is to have Sjostrom's good PK ability and Rico-Fata like skating (results in little)..But neither have earned every-game status and why players like Fritsche and Voros deserve a shot..Competion can do wonders sometimes...

Larry Melnyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2009, 11:55 AM
Fletch

to be fair, Monkey, it's not really him. When he went out on Neil's next shift, Neil was a church mouse, for the most part. But on Neil's next and subsequent shifts, he was the same old Neil. I've always thought that the best way to deter was to have guys who can handle themselves. Seems as though the Rangers always lacked those rugged wingers and defensemen, and other teams felt they can take liberties at their players. I can't blame Renney much for this, and I can't blame Orr either - it is what it is. If Voros could fight, he should be out there, matched against the Neils of the world.

Old
01-16-2009, 11:58 AM
DontStepanMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Melnyk View Post
Spot on. None of these players other then Betts deserves to play every game..The 4th line, as is, is probably the worst offensive 4th line in the NHL....Sjostrom is a black hole on offense (his lack of production no matter the linemates is laughable)..Orr is perhpas one of the three worst skaters in the game and his goon vs goon fights serve no purpose....However, it's good to have Orr's presence at times as well as his ability to throw and receive a punch in there now and then, as it is to have Sjostrom's good PK ability and Rico-Fata like skating (results in little)..But neither have earned every-game status and why players like Fritsche and Voros deserve a shot..Competion can do wonders sometimes...
Voros had his shot and adequetly proved that he cannot fight, has no real offensive skill, is not the soundest defensively, is slow, and really adds absolutely nothing to this team. Sjo at least can PK effectively, and plays good defense. He has done more to stay in the lineup than Voros (save that short period 3 months ago).

DontStepanMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2009, 12:01 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
to be fair, Monkey, it's not really him. When he went out on Neil's next shift, Neil was a church mouse, for the most part. But on Neil's next and subsequent shifts, he was the same old Neil. I've always thought that the best way to deter was to have guys who can handle themselves. Seems as though the Rangers always lacked those rugged wingers and defensemen, and other teams felt they can take liberties at their players. I can't blame Renney much for this, and I can't blame Orr either - it is what it is. If Voros could fight, he should be out there, matched against the Neils of the world.
I was referring to the Islander game.

But Niel is another pain in the neck.

Old
01-16-2009, 12:07 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rags225 View Post
Voros had his shot and adequetly proved that he cannot fight, has no real offensive skill, is not the soundest defensively, is slow, and really adds absolutely nothing to this team. Sjo at least can PK effectively, and plays good defense. He has done more to stay in the lineup than Voros (save that short period 3 months ago).
I agree.

People act as if having a great penalty kill is not important...

I'll tell you this much, it will matter in the playoffs.

Old
01-16-2009, 12:19 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Sjo-Betts-Orr. I considered Fritsche on the RW, but no line centered by Betts will ever be producing offense. That being the case, I'd rather have Orr's presence and physicality.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2009, 12:50 PM
Larry Melnyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rags225 View Post
For all his skating/running around, Sjopstrom's defensive positioning at ES is questionable at times...and his offense has been an absolute zero for over a year...That being said, his PK ability is valuable...The point is, all of these guys are flawed and NONE of them deserve to play every night..I'm not championing any of these guys but Renney needs to find a way to encoproarate his black aces and rotate these guys in (based on Opponents) for optimum results....Getting 1 point every 20 games from Sjostrom (even when he averaged 13-14 minutes a night) and letting him skate no matter what (ditto for Orr) is not optimum results..

Old
01-16-2009, 12:51 PM
Larry Melnyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Sjo-Betts-Orr. I considered Fritsche on the RW, but no line centered by Betts will ever be producing offense. That being the case, I'd rather have Orr's presence and physicality.
Actually, it's no line with Sjostrom on wing will ever be producing offense..(as was shown when he was moved up top the 3rd line)...OK, bith are true..

Old
01-16-2009, 01:01 PM
Blueshirt Special
HFBoards Sponsor

The real answer is to keep sjo betts & orr together, but double-shift guys like Zherdev, Korpikoski, Prucha, in place of Orr in order to surprise opposing coaches. You keep Orr in the lineup when needed for the usual reasons depending on opponent.

Blueshirt Special is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2009, 01:02 PM
DontStepanMe

Quote:
For all his skating/running around, Sjopstrom's defensive positioning at ES is questionable at times...and his offense has been an absolute zero for over a year...That being said, his PK ability is valuable...The point is, all of these guys are flawed and NONE of them deserve to play every night..I'm not championing any of these guys but Renney needs to find a way to encoproarate his black aces and rotate these guys in (based on Opponents) for optimum results....Getting 1 point every 20 games from Sjostrom (even when he averaged 13-14 minutes a night) and letting him skate no matter what (ditto for Orr) is not optimum results..
I agree about the rotation but I think the rotation should be Fritsche and Orr depending on the opponent, and that Voros should never touch the ice again.

DontStepanMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2009, 01:02 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Of the players we're talking about, Sjostrom and Betts should always be there. The RW slot should be a platoon of Fritsche and Orr, depending on the opponent. I really never want to see Voros again. If he doesn't realize that the only way he will ever be in the NHL is to be a physical force, which he isn't most of the time he plays, then he doesn't deserve to be on the team.

In general though, there needs to be more talent than any of the aforementioned can provide. I'm fine with Betts because he is such a great defensive player, but Sjostrom is not a permanent answer.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2009, 01:04 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Actually, it's no line with Sjostrom on wing will ever be producing offense..(as was shown when he was moved up top the 3rd line)...OK, bith are true..
Agreed.

nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote