HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

The salary game

Closed Thread

Old
07-27-2004, 03:50 PM
crossxcheck

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to crossxcheck Send a message via MSN to crossxcheck Send a message via Yahoo to crossxcheck
The salary game

Out of curiousity today on my lunch break I was looking at what the payroll for the preds for 04/05 is right now.

Not counting those who haven't been re-signed, but likely will (i.e. vokoun, zidlicky, orszagh, sullivan, erat, and hall. Also, not counting fahl/fringe players such as hutchinson, finley, etc. the payroll thus far is around $17-18m. Let's assume that sully gets $3.5m, vokoun $2.5m, zidlicky $750k, orszagh $750k, hall $700k, and erat $750k then our total would be around the $26-27m mark. Does anyone see this plus a couple more signings as feasible?? I think I do.

Old
07-27-2004, 04:33 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Quote:
Originally Posted by crossxcheck
Out of curiousity today on my lunch break I was looking at what the payroll for the preds for 04/05 is right now.

Not counting those who haven't been re-signed, but likely will (i.e. vokoun, zidlicky, orszagh, sullivan, erat, and hall. Also, not counting fahl/fringe players such as hutchinson, finley, etc. the payroll thus far is around $17-18m. Let's assume that sully gets $3.5m, vokoun $2.5m, zidlicky $750k, orszagh $750k, hall $700k, and erat $750k then our total would be around the $26-27m mark. Does anyone see this plus a couple more signings as feasible?? I think I do.
Lets plan a slightly worse case scenario:

Sullivan 4 million
Vokoun 3 million
Zidlicky 1.25 million
Orszagh 1.4 million
Hall 750k
Erat 1.2 million

Thats about 11.6 million more added, coming into the 28 - 30 million.

07-27-2004, 06:01 PM
misfit

vCash: 50
With Cloutier getting 3 million, I wouldn't count on Vokoun signing for less than that. Sullivan will probably want closer to 4, and Zidlicky, Hall, and Erat will probably be hovering around the 1 million mark. All together, I would expect the team salary to be in the 30 million range.

Old
07-27-2004, 07:21 PM
SmokeyClause

Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
Our payroll sits at around $16,605,750 according to the NHLPA. Erat, Hall, Sullivan, Orszagh, Zidlicky, and Vokoun have yet to be resigned. If it goes like this...

900k for Erat
750k for Hall
900k for Zidlicky
4 mil for Sullivan
3 mil for Vokoun
1 mil for Vlad

It will put us right at 27 million in roster. Of course, that roster would only includes 3 centers (Arkhi, Legwand, Johnson), 9 wingers (Erat, Hartnell, McKenzie, Hall, Walker, Stevenson, Sullivan, Orszagh, Tootoo), 7 defenseman (Hamhuis, Zidlicky, Eaton, Lilja, Allison, Hnidy and Timonen) and 2 goalies (Mason, Vokoun). Our NHL roster will likely include 1 more center (Smithson?) and one more winger (Severson or Pivko?). That would increase our payroll to around $28,200,000. Don't be suprised to see Orszagh let go and both Severson (in a 4th line role) and Pivko (in a 3rd line role). Pivko makes probably $800,000 less than what a 1 mil plus Orszagh would make.

Old
07-27-2004, 07:22 PM
crossxcheck

Send a message via AIM to crossxcheck Send a message via MSN to crossxcheck Send a message via Yahoo to crossxcheck
I won't be surprised to see vladdy let go, I half way expect it.

Old
07-27-2004, 07:56 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

I would be surprised. Orszagh will not get above 1.5 million awarded to him, especially with the recent UFA signings being lower (like Barnaby....who has had perenially better stats...). At that salary, he is very attractive to other contending teams, with more money or even to other teams who aren't cash-strapped.....as he is a great 3rd liner that can fill in a second line roll, is young, gritty, and a leader. I'd say we at least take the awarding, and if needed, deal him for some picks/players/center/whatever.

Old
07-27-2004, 08:07 PM
SmokeyClause

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch
I would be surprised. Orszagh will not get above 1.5 million awarded to him, especially with the recent UFA signings being lower (like Barnaby....who has had perenially better stats...). At that salary, he is very attractive to other contending teams, with more money or even to other teams who aren't cash-strapped.....as he is a great 3rd liner that can fill in a second line roll, is young, gritty, and a leader. I'd say we at least take the awarding, and if needed, deal him for some picks/players/center/whatever.
I'd like to see us get something for him. It all depends on how cash strapped we are because there is always that risk that we won't be able to get rid of him for an adequate value.

Old
07-27-2004, 08:51 PM
Basher
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via AIM to Basher Send a message via MSN to Basher Send a message via Skype™ to Basher
At 1 mil I wouldn't be so opposed to letting him go, depending on what we get for him. I might just want to go with a good pick, rather than a fringe/role player, and just let Pivko/Segal/Shish/etc. take that spot.

Old
07-27-2004, 08:57 PM
SmokeyClause

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basher
At 1 mil I wouldn't be so opposed to letting him go, depending on what we get for him. I might just want to go with a good pick, rather than a fringe/role player, and just let Pivko/Segal/Shish/etc. take that spot.
Not meaning to bash you basher, but why does everyone seem to think that Segal is going to get a roster spot? I think he could certainly use another year in the A. He was good, but not NHL worthy, IMO. Did Poile say that he was likely NHL bound (like he did with Pivko)?

Old
07-28-2004, 09:03 AM
crossxcheck

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyClause
Not meaning to bash you basher, but why does everyone seem to think that Segal is going to get a roster spot? I think he could certainly use another year in the A. He was good, but not NHL worthy, IMO. Did Poile say that he was likely NHL bound (like he did with Pivko)?
I'm high on segal myself and wouldn't mind seeing him take on a 4th line role in nashville, but I do think one more season in the A would do him good. After that he is going to be totally NHL-ready. I do, however, think he might get a few call ups this up-coming season.

Old
07-28-2004, 10:53 AM
Basher
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via AIM to Basher Send a message via MSN to Basher Send a message via Skype™ to Basher
I thought Shish was in the same boat as Segal though. I'm not necessarily saying he will get that spot, and I agree that Pivko is probably next in line for that spot, according to Poile's praise. But, being that Orszagh would be gone means someone is going to have to fill it, and with injuries on this team, sooner or later the guys I mentioned may get to see some time. I just thought of those three as the first either call-ups or making the squad early on. But yes, I see Pivko and maybe even Upshall making being called up before Segal and/or Shish.

Old
07-28-2004, 12:59 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

BY JOHN GLENNON Brandon Segal may not have finished among the top scorers for the Milwaukee Admirals last season. But the play of the 6-3, 215-pound right wing has drawn the interest of the Predators nonetheless. A fourth-round draft choice in 2002, Segal was signed and promoted from juniors to the American Hockey League about halfway through the season. He contributed 21 points in 44 games. When one considers the Predators are trying to develop more size, it's easy to see why

Old
07-28-2004, 01:02 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman
BY JOHN GLENNON Brandon Segal may not have finished among the top scorers for the Milwaukee Admirals last season. But the play of the 6-3, 215-pound right wing has drawn the interest of the Predators nonetheless. A fourth-round draft choice in 2002, Segal was signed and promoted from juniors to the American Hockey League about halfway through the season. He contributed 21 points in 44 games. When one considers the Predators are trying to develop more size, it's easy to see why

This article was full of praise on Segal, as much as we've heard on Pivko.

Old
07-28-2004, 01:07 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
That article got me thinking that if Orszagh was given a million dollars in arbitration, he may be 86 out the door, with Arkhipov + a pick for an upgrade at the Centerman position.

Old
07-28-2004, 01:49 PM
SmokeyClause

Quote:
This article was full of praise on Segal, as much as we've heard on Pivko.
They may praised Segal more, but at what point did Poile say anything about Segal in Nashville?

Here's what he had to say about Pivko...

He hadn't played in North America, so we didn't know too much about him before this year. But he's probably made the most progress and is probably the closest to playing (for the Predators) next season.

http://tennessean.com/sports/predato...nt_ID=51415222

Old
07-28-2004, 01:58 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Poile wasn't quoted in the article just Noel, but he did mention Segal playing in Nashville.

Old
08-04-2004, 07:11 PM
SmokeyClause

Well, assuming Orszagh makes around 1, Zids makes around 900k, Erat makes 900k, and Hall makes 750k, the Preds payroll for a 23 man roster is around 27.4 million.

Old
08-04-2004, 08:44 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyClause
Well, assuming Orszagh makes around 1, Zids makes around 900k, Erat makes 900k, and Hall makes 750k, the Preds payroll for a 23 man roster is around 27.4 million.
And again a negative look:

Orszagh - 1.5 million
Zidlicky - 1.75 million (Skrastins money)
Hall - 900k
Erat - 1.25 million

1.825 million more, which would put us up to 29.225......still extremely reasonable

Closed Thread