HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Where is the offensive effort?

Old
01-15-2009, 09:14 PM
chaosof99*

vCash: 500
Where is the offensive effort?

I think something terrible is happening since the christmas break. We only have 20 goals in 10 games played since then. The GAA for opposing goaltenders is 1.95 against the Flyers in that period.

Yes, we had a ton of injuries, but the key offensive weapons we have, Richards and Carter missed not a single game in that time. But overall, the offensive effort has been lacking which is probably the main reason we lost the games against Pittsburgh and now Tampa.

And the problem is not that we lack in secondary scoring, but our primary scoring is nowhere to be found. Gags hasn't scored a goal in almost a month and has only two assists since the christmas break. Richards only two goals and four assists in the 10 games since christmas. Carter also only two goals and five assists since Christmas.

I also noticed that no matter whether were taking the lead or are playing behind, not even necessarily tying the game with it, but the team steps off the gas when it scored a goal.

I really hope Brière will change something about that when he is back. Giroux looked great in the first period against Tampa and I'd really like to keep him on Richards wing.

Line Combos after Brière's return that I'd put on the ice (note that none of them are designated 1, 2 or 3. Only the fourth line is the fourth line):
Hartnell - Carter - Lupul
Gagné - Brière - Knuble
Upshall - Richards - Giroux
Cote - Metropolit - Asham

chaosof99* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2009, 09:15 PM
mm6492

Those lines seem fine. The main problem with all lines is there is only 1 Gagne to go between Briere and Richards

mm6492 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2009, 09:20 PM
Raffl House

vCash: 513
Brought it up several times in several times. They skate in on a horizontal line, if they make it in the zone at all. There is no 3rd man high. Any type of disruption to the play means:

ZERO sustained offensive pressure

AND

Most likely...a rush coming back our way

Raffl House is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2009, 09:21 PM
TheDrizzle81

Send a message via AIM to TheDrizzle81
Id hate to break up the olde city line, but Richards needs a sniper, and Lupul is a sniper. Unless Briere flys on the wing with Gags and Richie.Girioux with Carts and Harts has my ears perked.

Gags Richie Lupul
Harts Carts Claude
Upshall Briere Knuble
Cote Metro Asham

TheDrizzle81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2009, 10:18 PM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

What the heck does Richards need a sniper for when he's lollygagging around half the time and turning the puck over half the time?

Very few players go full tilt for the whole season. Guys lose their mental edge and physical sharpness as well from time to time. Even veterans.

All three of 12-18-22 are off track. 17 and 15 look okay, but they are saddled with that dunce 19. Beyond that there is no punch.

Some teams defend through such slumps but the Flyers have neither the blue line nor the keeper to do that.

So we suffer until the edge comes back.

JXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2009, 10:19 PM
Miss Mess

thank god danny is almost back

Miss Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2009, 10:22 PM
TheKingPin

dont have time to read and respond but im sure the reason we arnt scoring is because we dont work down low anymore. Everyone kept calling us a offensive dynamo team, so we started playing like that. Trying the pretty plays, trying the nice passes. There is a reason why the 4th line has been our best for the past 3 games or so. They work hard down low and get their chances. That is also the reason we have gotten like 1 PP a game recently. NOT WORKING HARD ENOUGH!!!!!

TheKingPin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2009, 10:26 PM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
dont have time to read and respond but im sure the reason we arnt scoring is because we dont work down low anymore. Everyone kept calling us a offensive dynamo team, so we started playing like that.
Wow, that's a great point - the grit, the ire, the sweat - it's gone.

JXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2009, 10:48 PM
flyersjamminontheone
In Claude we trust

last two posts sum it up nicely. we are way too easy to play against. Does anybody else get sick of other teams star/slumping players lighting us up? Maybe we need a designated shut down guy (ahem-richie-cough) like Primeau. its not like he wouldn't get scoring chances.

flyersjamminontheone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2009, 10:50 PM
PhillyFan4Ever

The goal in hockey is to score a lot of goals
Soccer, is played on a field, where you score goals
Field Goals are what you score in basketball when you go on a run.
Runs are what you score in baseball, which is played on a field
Field Goals are also scored in football when you can't score a touchdown which is the main goal
So, If you score a lot of goals in hockey you've achieved your goal of scoring a lot goals and THAT'S your main goal.

PhillyFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2009, 03:21 AM
chaosof99*

I thought the goal in hockey was those rectangular red pipes with a net attached to it on one side

chaosof99* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2009, 09:38 AM
turkinaa

I'm still liking the production from Harts, Carter, and Lupul, however, I think that Hartnell is not looking where hes passing the puck and turning it a lot more now (like Richards has been doing). Lupul has 2 goals in 2 games and Knuble has 1. This is going to become a problem because it affects our PP and even strength ability to score goals. Hopefully Danny Phantom Briere will give the PP a kick start (you know, once our cap allows for him to come back).

Maybe everything is just mental to them. I looked over the scores in Jan so far and our best production was against the Ducks and the Leafs followed by the Wild. In those 3 games we scored 11 goals and won a shootout. In the other 4 games we scored 5 goals and lost 2 shootouts. Some games have been close while others haven't. Now if we continue to slide after the all-star break, we'll be in trouble.

turkinaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2009, 02:12 PM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosof99 View Post
I think something terrible is happening since the christmas break. We only have 20 goals in 10 games played since then. The GAA for opposing goaltenders is 1.95 against the Flyers in that period.

Yes, we had a ton of injuries, but the key offensive weapons we have, Richards and Carter missed not a single game in that time. But overall, the offensive effort has been lacking which is probably the main reason we lost the games against Pittsburgh and now Tampa.

And the problem is not that we lack in secondary scoring, but our primary scoring is nowhere to be found. Gags hasn't scored a goal in almost a month and has only two assists since the christmas break. Richards only two goals and four assists in the 10 games since christmas. Carter also only two goals and five assists since Christmas.

I also noticed that no matter whether were taking the lead or are playing behind, not even necessarily tying the game with it, but the team steps off the gas when it scored a goal.

I really hope Brière will change something about that when he is back. Giroux looked great in the first period against Tampa and I'd really like to keep him on Richards wing.

Line Combos after Brière's return that I'd put on the ice (note that none of them are designated 1, 2 or 3. Only the fourth line is the fourth line):
Hartnell - Carter - Lupul
Gagné - Brière - Knuble
Upshall - Richards - Giroux
Cote - Metropolit - Asham
Havent read through this thread yet, but it is basically the same issue as last year....This team is typically feast or famine.....One or two lines get super hot and they win like 10 straight, those lines cool off and we cant win a game.

This team needs to figure out how to win games without getting 3 pp goals, or without some line going nuts.....Its called consistent even strength production, something we havent seen from this team this season or last season.....

mikedifr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2009, 02:16 PM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

vCash: 955
I would say the effort in the last two games has been pretty offensive, actually.....

CanadianFlyer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2009, 02:18 PM
LEIFey
Context Matters!

Send a message via AIM to LEIFey
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedifr View Post
Havent read through this thread yet, but it is basically the same issue as last year....This team is typically feast or famine.....One or two lines get super hot and they win like 10 straight, those lines cool off and we cant win a game.

This team needs to figure out how to win games without getting 3 pp goals, or without some line going nuts.....Its called consistent even strength production, something we havent seen from this team this season or last season.....
gah, your avvie looks like...a normal person!

i've liked what i've seen of upshall in the past few games. he hasn't really lit things up, but the effort is definitely there. maybe reward his hardwork and set an example?

LEIFey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2009, 02:20 PM
Opus

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFlyer88 View Post
I would say the effort in the last two games has been pretty offensive, actually.....
Well played Sir.

Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2009, 02:28 PM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEIFey View Post
gah, your avvie looks like...a normal person!

i've liked what i've seen of upshall in the past few games. he hasn't really lit things up, but the effort is definitely there. maybe reward his hardwork and set an example?
That is cause the picture is terrible....I need to find a good one, but it is hard to find one of her with clothes on that I can post here

And I dont think she is normal at all.....she might be #1 for me now....smokin hot!!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 8438.jpg‎ (33.7 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg 8389.jpg‎ (30.3 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg 8443.jpg‎ (30.4 KB, 13 views)

Old
01-16-2009, 02:37 PM
mm6492

Powe has looked good ou there, I want to see him on the 4th line if he keeps putting in effort like that. Even if that means cote isn't playing

And I am a huge Cote fan

mm6492 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2009, 03:09 PM
LEIFey
Context Matters!

Quote:
That is cause the picture is terrible....I need to find a good one, but it is hard to find one of her with clothes on that I can post here

And I dont think she is normal at all.....she might be #1 for me now....smokin hot!!!!
well, she is certainly...well endowed. what's her name?

Old
01-16-2009, 03:17 PM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEIFey View Post
well, she is certainly...well endowed. what's her name?
Sunny Leone.....adult film star

Some great pictures on prestonandsteve.com, you have to scroll down on their main page to find the link

She is going to be a Club Risque tonight on Delaware Ave......I am so mad I cant go, I have to have dinner with the wife

Old
01-16-2009, 04:04 PM
LEIFey
Context Matters!

Quote:
Sunny Leone.....adult film star

Some great pictures on prestonandsteve.com, you have to scroll down on their main page to find the link

She is going to be a Club Risque tonight on Delaware Ave......I am so mad I cant go, I have to have dinner with the wife
oh that name does sound familiar. you could always ditch the wife. or just take her to dinner at the club