HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Options B, and C?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-16-2009, 04:06 PM
  #26
Thinkbig
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,368
vCash: 500
WTF... another useless thread.

We need a d-man.

Thinkbig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2009, 04:06 PM
  #27
LeafErikson*
Ice to meet you
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Victoria B.C.
Country: Canada
Posts: 27,222
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotHabsFan View Post
OMG no thank you, that is one of the worst contracts presently in the NHL.

Pavel Kubina Signed four-year, $20 million deal $5 million a year in 2006/2007
In comparison to the other contracts present in the NHL, it's really not that bad. If Kubina was free this summer, he'd command that, if not more, IMO.

LeafErikson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2009, 04:07 PM
  #28
Jigger77
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,016
vCash: 500
What worries me about Bowmeester is that he's going to cost a lot and is a UFA next season. Remember the hype over Hossa at the trade deadline last year? Bowmeester is the type of player that can put a team over the top and he could stimulate the same type of interest. What was it Pittsburgh have up for him again? 3 roster players if I'm not mistaken. 2 anyway, and look at where they are now. No Hossa and short those depth players. (and out of playoff contention at the moment)

That scenario scares me.

That's why I like the Kaberle idea. Although he could be worth quite a bit too in terms of return but at least you have him under contract at a decent 4.25mil until 2010-11.

He also has playoff experience.

Either way, it's going to be tough to land one of these guys because some teams are going to pull a Pittsburgh and overpay imho. Gainey seems to shy away from these bidding wars historically.

Jigger77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2009, 04:14 PM
  #29
AD
Registered User
 
AD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Bigassofficetower
Country: Lebanon
Posts: 14,576
vCash: 500
I'd trade for Kaberle or Van Ryn

AD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2009, 04:18 PM
  #30
HotHabsFan*
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Bell Center Vagabond
Posts: 2,192
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafErikson View Post
In comparison to the other contracts present in the NHL, it's really not that bad. If Kubina was free this summer, he'd command that, if not more, IMO.
fine if TO and its fans find that he and his contract are fine and dandy (no pun intended)..then you can keep him, because i know i don't want him in Montreal with that contract, he will be making only 750,000$ a year less than Markov..

HotHabsFan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2009, 04:18 PM
  #31
LeafErikson*
Ice to meet you
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Victoria B.C.
Country: Canada
Posts: 27,222
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigger77 View Post
What worries me about Bowmeester is that he's going to cost a lot and is a UFA next season. Remember the hype over Hossa at the trade deadline last year? Bowmeester is the type of player that can put a team over the top and he could stimulate the same type of interest. What was it Pittsburgh have up for him again? 3 roster players if I'm not mistaken. 2 anyway, and look at where they are now. No Hossa and short those depth players. (and out of playoff contention at the moment)

That scenario scares me.

That's why I like the Kaberle idea. Although he could be worth quite a bit too in terms of return but at least you have him under contract at a decent 4.25mil until 2010-11.

He also has playoff experience.

Either way, it's going to be tough to land one of these guys because some teams are going to pull a Pittsburgh and overpay imho. Gainey seems to shy away from these bidding wars historically.
I guess it depends how close Gainey thinks you guys are. You certainly have the depth to make a deal happen.

I would be happy with a deal that included Chris Higgins, PK Suban, and a 1st. Higgins seems to have fallen out of favour with Montreal. Or am I mistaken there?

LeafErikson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2009, 04:19 PM
  #32
Mad Habber
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,714
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafErikson View Post
Welcome!

Just to be the devils advocate, Bouwmeester has never seen playoff action. To suggest that he'd put you over the top, might be asking a lot. I'm sure there's a good chance he could work out fine, but remember to take that into account.

Perhaps if you're looking to add someone who has playoff experience (and a cup), Kubina is more up your ally.
No playoffs for JayBo but instead, he has spent time at the World Championship. So the intensity is there, but the grind isn't at this point.

The good thing though, is he doesn't need to be on the top pairing. He would be on the second, and Mtl still would have a good thrid pairing with Gorges and Bouillon.

So he wouldn't be the go-to guy in Mtl, but still one of a few very important pieces.

I think he would excel.

As for Antro. I don't see Gainey having much interest. Size is nice, but not necessary.

Kaberle, I like, but then I try to picture him on the pp with Markov and I can just see those 2 passing the puck to each other for 2 minutes on the point and no one ever shooting. Need a gun and McCabe would have been a good option had he been on the last year of his contract.

Mad Habber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2009, 04:19 PM
  #33
VAN-HAB
Vancouver Habitant
 
VAN-HAB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Port Moody BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,246
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafErikson View Post
If they can't land Lecavalier, Montreal will still need to acquire that big body down the middle. What do you guys think are options b, and c? I think Jason Arnott would be a decent consolation prize. Perhaps Nik Antropov, who's natural position is center? He might be had relatively cheap.

Also, it's been said you need another puck mover. Do you think Kaberle is on the radar? And if so, what do you think is fair value?
center is not the problem now. we need a dman who can move the puck, we really, really need that. brisebois has been decent but he is starting to make more and more mistakes, take stupid penalties and cost us goals.

VAN-HAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2009, 04:19 PM
  #34
HotHabsFan*
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Bell Center Vagabond
Posts: 2,192
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AD View Post
I'd trade for Kaberle or Van Ryn

i am not quite sure why, but i had a good chuckle at this one.

HotHabsFan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2009, 04:20 PM
  #35
LeafErikson*
Ice to meet you
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Victoria B.C.
Country: Canada
Posts: 27,222
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotHabsFan View Post
fine if TO and its fans find that he and his contract are fine and dandy (no pun intended)..then you can keep him, because i know i don't want him in Montreal with that contract, he will be making only 750,000$ a year less than Markov..
And if Markov were on the open market now, expect him to be in the same range as Campbell, if not higher.

You're underestimating the market on defenseman. Kaberle is extremely underpaid, compared to what he's worth. I would say the same is true of Markov aswell.

LeafErikson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2009, 04:25 PM
  #36
tollb2
Registered User
 
tollb2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Regina, sk
Country: Canada
Posts: 652
vCash: 500
could prob pull a deal for Kaberle for a fair price ,
we need another top D and thats the priority

tollb2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2009, 04:27 PM
  #37
HotHabsFan*
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Bell Center Vagabond
Posts: 2,192
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafErikson View Post
And if Markov were on the open market now, expect him to be in the same range as Campbell, if not higher.

You're underestimating the market on defenseman. Kaberle is extremely underpaid, compared to what he's worth. I would say the same is true of Markov aswell.

your arguement is MooT. Kubina doesn't deserve 5,000,000 a year IMO, and if you think he does, then you and TO can keep him. He is on pace for 40 points and a -30.

HotHabsFan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2009, 04:28 PM
  #38
LeafErikson*
Ice to meet you
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Victoria B.C.
Country: Canada
Posts: 27,222
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotHabsFan View Post
i am not quite sure why, but i had a good chuckle at this one.
I wouldn't let your dislike for the Maple Leafs cloud your judgement. MVR doesn't fit what your team needs, but when healthy, he's been a very good player for the Leafs.

LeafErikson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2009, 04:29 PM
  #39
keepcalmandbeninja
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,097
vCash: 500
Brian Burke mentioned one of his top trade priorities is to get draft picks...

I strongly feel Kaberle or Van Ryn would be interesting additions for us...

keepcalmandbeninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2009, 04:31 PM
  #40
LeafErikson*
Ice to meet you
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Victoria B.C.
Country: Canada
Posts: 27,222
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotHabsFan View Post
your arguement is MooT. Kubina doesn't deserve 5,000,000 a year IMO, and if you think he does, then you and TO can keep him. He is on pace for 40 points and a -30.
That's fine, it's your opinion. And btw, you can't pro rate +/-.

LeafErikson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2009, 04:32 PM
  #41
HotHabsFan*
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Bell Center Vagabond
Posts: 2,192
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafErikson View Post
I wouldn't let your dislike for the Maple Leafs cloud your judgement. MVR doesn't fit what your team needs, but when healthy, he's been a very good player for the Leafs.
i have no idea what you are trying to accomplish right now ? I said absolutely nothing about mvr or kaberle, are you trying to bait me into saying something i might regret ? it won't happen !

HotHabsFan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2009, 04:35 PM
  #42
Blind Gardien
nexus of the crisis
 
Blind Gardien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Four Winds Bar
Country: France
Posts: 20,551
vCash: 500
Options B,C,E,F,G.... all the way to Z are to stand pat and continue to watch this young team grow together as they have been doing.

Under Bob's hat there is still little option D, the 4th defender, but even that is actually kind of a luxury option IMHO. Shouldn't be too hard to pick up some defense depth right at the deadline when the sellers are cutting bait. Might not be a top-4 guy, but I would be mildly surprised if there wasn't at least another Todd Simpson-esque add-on.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2009, 04:35 PM
  #43
LeafErikson*
Ice to meet you
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Victoria B.C.
Country: Canada
Posts: 27,222
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotHabsFan View Post
i have no idea what you are trying to accomplish right now ? I said absolutely nothing about mvr or kaberle, are you trying to bait me into saying something i might regret ? it won't happen !
Stop being so paranoid, I'm not trying to bait you into anything. It just seems to me, you are letting your hatred for the Leafs dictate your opinion. Take away the jersey, and look at what any of those players can do for a team.

And +/- is a useless stat. However, that's a completely different topic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
Options B,C,E,F,G.... all the way to Z are to stand pat and continue to watch this young team grow together as they have been doing.

Under Bob's hat there is still little option D, the 4th defender, but even that is actually kind of a luxury option IMHO. Shouldn't be too hard to pick up some defense depth right at the deadline when the sellers are cutting bait. Might not be a top-4 guy, but I would be mildly surprised if there wasn't at least another Todd Simpson-esque add-on.
Ok, so maybe a MVR type player does apply here? Someone "like" him makes more sense, if you think Bob should/will remain patient.


Last edited by Habs10Habs: 01-16-2009 at 08:37 PM.
LeafErikson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2009, 04:39 PM
  #44
Roulin
Registered User
 
Roulin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Montreal
Posts: 4,242
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafErikson View Post
Higgins seems to have fallen out of favour with Montreal. Or am I mistaken there?
I think, for the most part, most fans of the Habs are still fans of Higgins. It's just that we have so many young, cheap forwards ready to go, that slightly older forwards that are due for a raise, but are not difference makers in a big way, seem to be the obvious choices for trade bait. That means Plekanec and Higgins, and since we don't have as much young depth at center, that means Higgins. If we don't make that big quantity for quality move, I think most of us would be happy to have Higgins back next year. But, these days that move seems to be the way to go from being a good team to being a dominant team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafErikson View Post
And if Markov were on the open market now, expect him to be in the same range as Campbell, if not higher.

You're underestimating the market on defenseman. Kaberle is extremely underpaid, compared to what he's worth. I would say the same is true of Markov aswell.
Agreed, 100%. Supply is low right now, demand will be sky high at the deadline and in the offseason for defencemen.

Roulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2009, 04:46 PM
  #45
Marc the Habs Fan
Moderator
The best
 
Marc the Habs Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Longueuil
Country: Canada
Posts: 58,949
vCash: 567
Pass on Van Ryn. I liked him as a possibility early in the year, but TWO concussions in like 8 weeks is just too risky. Especially when he's signed for next year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigger77 View Post
What was it Pittsburgh have up for him again? 3 roster players if I'm not mistaken. 2 anyway, and look at where they are now. No Hossa and short those depth players. (and out of playoff contention at the moment)
Christensen, Armstrong, Esposito and a 1st (which became Daulton Leveille) for Hossa and Dupuis was the deal.

And despite Pierre McGuire blasting that deal basically every day on the radio, it really wasn't much of a risk for Pittsburgh, IMO. Christensen is a shootout specialist, nothing more. Armstrong is a heart and soul 3rd line grinder, Esposito is still not a lock to be a top 6 forward in the NHL and a 29th overall pick isn't a lock to be anything.

Marc the Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2009, 04:47 PM
  #46
Artyukhin*
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,831
vCash: 500
other guys i would consider IF they were available ,



Barret Jackman

Jordan Leopold

Karlis Skrastins

Artyukhin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2009, 04:53 PM
  #47
LeafErikson*
Ice to meet you
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Victoria B.C.
Country: Canada
Posts: 27,222
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roulin View Post
Agreed, 100%. Supply is low right now, demand will be sky high at the deadline and in the offseason for defencemen.
I hope demand it through the roof, if you get my meaning.

And btw, I just want you guys to know I'm not here to bait anyone. I'm here to have an intelligent conversation (or at least try). I'm a mod, and I know the rules of the board. And I'm most definitely not going to be breaking them.

LeafErikson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2009, 05:22 PM
  #48
goalchenyuk
Registered User
 
goalchenyuk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: montreal
Country: Vatican City State
Posts: 8,461
vCash: 500
Robidas
Zidlicky
Jackman
Preissing

goalchenyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2009, 05:35 PM
  #49
Jeffrey
Registered User
 
Jeffrey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,870
vCash: 50
Send a message via MSN to Jeffrey
Barret Jackman would be ideal !
He's a smaller, better fighter version of Komisarek. Very intimidating to play against !
I would like to see him with the habs !

Jeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2009, 06:06 PM
  #50
Blind Gardien
nexus of the crisis
 
Blind Gardien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Four Winds Bar
Country: France
Posts: 20,551
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafErikson View Post
Ok, so maybe a MVR type player does apply here? Someone "like" him makes more sense, if you think Bob should/will remain patient.
If it's a depth add-on, it won't be one with a meaningful cap hit left on his contract past this year, I reckon. Maybe unless he is truly given away for free, but even then, doubtful IMHO. I can't see Van Ryn being a reliable enough option (health-wise). (And I suppose he's not exactly a friendly face in the lockerroom for certain Habs players. ).

All comes down to the asking price, IMHO. If he can get a guy who can play and has no salary baggage for a 2nd or 3rd round pick, or a guy who just sits as depth a la Todd Simpson for a 6th or 7th, I could see it happening. Otherwise, I will be surprised.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:05 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.