HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Hockey Talk by Country > Sweden
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

What will an impasse mean to European leagues?

Closed Thread

Old
07-31-2004, 07:18 PM
David A. Rainer

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to David A. Rainer
What will an impasse mean to European leagues?

I was checking out www.eliteprospects.com and came across their "lockout transactions" page - a list of players that either will be or are rumored to be heading to Sweden in case of an impasse.

You'll notice that several teams have 3 or more rumored to be moving over. In particular Frolunda where Kings' prospect Jens Karlsson has been playing on the 4th line.

Let me ask this: with the influx of NHL players over to the SEL and other european leagues, what does it mean for SEL prospects like Karlsson that were struggling to receive playing time in the first place? I have a hard time believing he'd go back to the 2nd league in Sweden (which would be a massive step backwards). Would he?

Would he be forced to come over to NA and sign with Manchester, creating kind of a revolving door affect with NHL players going to Sweden and NHL prospects coming to NA? If not, how will something like this affect his (and the many others in his same position) development?

Thoughts?

08-01-2004, 04:45 AM
Kronblom

If Jens isn´t good enough to make the team with P-J and Alfred on board, he surely wouldn´t be good enough to sign with the Kings. A team from the AHL would be forced to buy him out from the contract he has with Frölunda Indians (1 year left), so that won´t happen either.

Most teams have vacant spots for eventual NHL-players, including Frölunda who have 2 goalies, 5 d-men and 11 forwards on the current roster not counting the 4 juniors. Usually at this time of the year the teams have complete rosters, that isn´t the case this year. Everybody is waiting and trying/hoping to sign NHL-players to fill out the roster.

At worst Jens will be stuck on the 3rd or 4th line learning to shut down NHL-players, he certainly won´t be sent down to a lower league in Sweden. By the way, some 4th line with guys like Karlsson, Esbjörs and Eriksson...

Impasse? Please don´t use such difficult words, my dictionary is getting worn out.

Old
08-03-2004, 09:54 AM
Pekka Lampinen

It's no biggie, single teams go through more swings in depth occasionally than the league as a whole would in case of lockout. Even a simple glance a year from now won't reveal a difference, the only way to notice even a marginal change in prospects' career development would be to list and grade their performances in about four difference seasons. We would possible see slightly more names in the worse cathegories.

An exodus to North America is out of the question, as nearly everybody has already signed. If they need temporary change, they'll be rented to a rival team or the second tier as usual.

Old
08-05-2004, 12:44 AM
David A. Rainer

Send a message via MSN to David A. Rainer
Thanx for the replies and PMs guys. I guess I was reading a bit too much into it.

Closed Thread