HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Lats-Lapierre-D'Ago?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-17-2009, 09:04 AM
  #26
BaseballCoach
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 5,878
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pegasus View Post
Higgins has the profile, good 2 way player with scoring abilities but Kosto has more grit. It may work, I like it, Lapierre with Lats and Higgins
Lapierre likes to come up the left side more than almost any other centreman I know, so that line will be unique in that it will kind of be composed of three left wingers.

BaseballCoach is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2009, 09:09 AM
  #27
la25ecoupe
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,544
vCash: 500
I hope that against Ottawa, Carbo would try Lats Laps Dags.. nothing to lose right?

I don't think Higs will get traded, as Gainey talked to Higs himself to reassure him.. (during the Gaborick saga)

la25ecoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2009, 09:16 AM
  #28
BaseballCoach
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 5,878
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BJG View Post
Let us not forget the chemistry that Dags had with Saku. Once all are healthy, we should see:

Tang Saku Dags
Max Pleks Kovy
Kost Lang Kost
Lats Lappy TKO

That leaves out.... Higgins. He will be traded for the D we want. BGL, Begin ride pine and Chips gets sent down (or included in package?)
I'm not sure I would have Higgins ride the pine while Max, Lats, SKost and TKO were in the lineup, but I do agree that the four lines above have plenty of depth and versatility. So, Higgins COULD be traded for a defenceman.

However, I have another thought. I think we should hold onto Higgins until we know if Tanguay is re-signing with us. If Tanguay does not re-sign, Higgins will take his place. He may not be equal to Tanguay at his best, but in a cap world, saving $3M or so per year for only a small downgrade is not always a bad thing. The $3M can get you another asset.

What do we do if everyone comes back and there are no injuries at forward AT ALL? First of all, that isn't very likely, and second of all, if it does happen, we either temporarily demote one of the three waiver-exempt guys - Dags, Max or SKost - or waive/trade Begin or Dandenault. Again, any demotion would likely be temporary, because it is almost never the case that ALL of the fourteen forwards would stay injury-free for any great liength of time.

Question: does anyone think trading upcoming UFA Steve Begin could get us a veteran upcoming UFA 6th defenceman? Or maybe Begin, plus a 3rd or 4th round pick?

BaseballCoach is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2009, 11:25 AM
  #29
Habsterix*
@Habsterix
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,475
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by onice View Post
I thought that's what alotta Hab fans were saying about Lats. He was a natural goal scorer. Soft hands, great shot.
He's been playing very well, give it a rest!

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2009, 11:40 AM
  #30
Kriss E
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 22,436
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
I believe that right now, Kostopoulos would bring much more to the 4th than the 3rd while D'Ago might indeed bring the finish that Kosto doesn't have. But Carbo keeps rolling 4 lines and our 4th line with Chipchura and Bégin struggles so much that the presence of Kosto in there would help.

D'Ago on the 3rd line would help finishing.

Kosto on the 4th line would help surviving.
I think the reason why the Lappy line has been working so well is because Kosto has a very defined role. So does Lappy and Lats.
Although they keep it simple, Kosto either crashes the board or the net, same for Lappy, and that gives more room to Lats.
They're also very solid defensively, this will change a bit if you remove Kosto.

While I think D'Ago could bring more finish to that line, it'd also mean to remove one of the 2 players that is just an intense worker.
If D'Ago doesn't step up his intensity level on that line, it won't work that well IMO.

If D'Ago can play like he did the first games, then it might be interesting.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2009, 11:41 AM
  #31
nyhabsfan
Waiting for #25.....
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Connecticut
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,832
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaseballCoach View Post
I'm not sure I would have Higgins ride the pine while Max, Lats, SKost and TKO were in the lineup, but I do agree that the four lines above have plenty of depth and versatility. So, Higgins COULD be traded for a defenceman.

However, I have another thought. I think we should hold onto Higgins until we know if Tanguay is re-signing with us. If Tanguay does not re-sign, Higgins will take his place. He may not be equal to Tanguay at his best, but in a cap world, saving $3M or so per year for only a small downgrade is not always a bad thing. The $3M can get you another asset.

What do we do if everyone comes back and there are no injuries at forward AT ALL? First of all, that isn't very likely, and second of all, if it does happen, we either temporarily demote one of the three waiver-exempt guys - Dags, Max or SKost - or waive/trade Begin or Dandenault. Again, any demotion would likely be temporary, because it is almost never the case that ALL of the fourteen forwards would stay injury-free for any great liength of time.

Question: does anyone think trading upcoming UFA Steve Begin could get us a veteran upcoming UFA 6th defenceman? Or maybe Begin, plus a 3rd or 4th round pick?

EXACTLY!


We aren't sure if Tanquay will re-sign, and with all the UFA forwards, why would you trade away a RFA that you can throw onto any line.

Higgins has had 1/2 a bad season, but people forget that last year he was one of the top scorers in the entire league after the all-start break!

nyhabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2009, 11:52 AM
  #32
CanadienErrant*
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Country: Cook Islands
Posts: 4,956
vCash: 500
I would like to see D'ags with Lats and Laps, but right now, you don't dismantle a line that is working so well together with Kosto.

D'agostini will be down to Hamilton as soon as Koivu and Higgins are back in the line up, anyway.

CanadienErrant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2009, 03:58 PM
  #33
Kimota
Nation of Poutine
 
Kimota's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: La Vieille Capitale
Country: France
Posts: 21,585
vCash: 500
I would have D'Agostini with the two frenchies and would have Lang play with.....Begin and Kosto. Remember how that worked last year: you had Begin and Kosto crashing and banging and Smolinski was the one slowing down the play and finishing in front of the net. I think it could work even more with Lang since he has better vision than Smolinski. Then Plec would center both Kosti Bros has a fast-skating dynamo line. Then I would try a little experiment, have Pacioretti centering the Kovalev line. I think he plays well when he's skating fast at center and he has the personality to be a center. We would have a big center to boot.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2009, 04:11 PM
  #34
MTL-rules
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 6,208
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
I would have D'Agostini with the two frenchies and would have Lang play with.....Begin and Kosto. Remember how that worked last year: you had Begin and Kosto crashing and banging and Smolinski was the one slowing down the play and finishing in front of the net. I think it could work even more with Lang since he has better vision than Smolinski. Then Plec would center both Kosti Bros has a fast-skating dynamo line. Then I would try a little experiment, have Pacioretti centering the Kovalev line. I think he plays well when he's skating fast at center and he has the personality to be a center. We would have a big center to boot.
Ok, so... are we missing the playoffs? Are we on a 5 games losing streak?

Why on earth should we change every single lines when everything is going pretty well?

Basically you replace the rookies when the veterans come back...

Koivu seems to be the first one who'll come back... Who will he play with? That's a good question...

Carbo seems to love the Lats-Lappy-Kosto line, so will Koivu play with Begin and D'agostini until Higgins comes back?

MTL-rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2009, 04:28 PM
  #35
Kimota
Nation of Poutine
 
Kimota's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: La Vieille Capitale
Country: France
Posts: 21,585
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTL-rules View Post
Ok, so... are we missing the playoffs? Are we on a 5 games losing streak?

Why on earth should we change every single lines when everything is going pretty well?

Basically you replace the rookies when the veterans come back...

Koivu seems to be the first one who'll come back... Who will he play with? That's a good question...

Carbo seems to love the Lats-Lappy-Kosto line, so will Koivu play with Begin and D'agostini until Higgins comes back?
Call it a few tweeks there and there before the injured return. The Kosti Bros are ready to break out and they need a guy with them that's gonna keep up. The same with the Lappy line where they need a third man that's gonna be more of an offensive mind to bring them to another level. Plus the Begin-Chip-Dags line has been worthless in my opinion.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2009, 04:53 PM
  #36
la25ecoupe
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,544
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
Call it a few tweeks there and there before the injured return. The Kosti Bros are ready to break out and they need a guy with them that's gonna keep up. The same with the Lappy line where they need a third man that's gonna be more of an offensive mind to bring them to another level. Plus the Begin-Chip-Dags line has been worthless in my opinion.
I agree.. i'd rather have

Lats Laps DAgs
Begin Chips Kosto

then

Lats Laps Kosto
Begin Chips Dags

..

but i\m not coach

la25ecoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2009, 05:08 PM
  #37
tundar
 
tundar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Montreal, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 16
vCash: 500
With all those injured Habs, I think Carbs is just trying to fit four workable lines. Granted others lines may be better if he had the time to experiment but with the Bruins playing so well and we are still winning our games so maybe we should let everything be. But that's y opinion..

Go Habs Go!

tundar is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:58 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.