HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

"The Reject Returns" 1/17/09: Nashville vs. Atlanta

Old
01-17-2009, 08:58 PM
kracker1

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiery Silhouette View Post
Great game for a full house tonight...
We had that problem a couple of years ago...the problem is solved now...no (or not many) full houses down here.

kracker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2009, 09:05 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Come on Tavares ... *snake eyes*

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2009, 09:12 PM
dj4aces

Send a message via ICQ to dj4aces Send a message via AIM to dj4aces Send a message via MSN to dj4aces Send a message via Yahoo to dj4aces
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave is a Killer View Post
he's been playing on the *clears throat* top line
Still laughing?

Just curious.

So ended the Williams experiment, so begins the Peverley experiment. So far, he looks pretty good. Best of all, Kovalchuk likes him.

dj4aces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2009, 09:15 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj4aces View Post
Still laughing?

Just curious.

So ended the Williams experiment, so begins the Peverley experiment. So far, he looks pretty good. Best of all, Kovalchuk likes him.
never hurts to have a true superstar on your line with you, I still believe he's a scrub

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2009, 09:18 PM
Nitrous Mafia

uh wtflol

i'm glad i didn't watch, go or invest any time into this game. thank you work!

Nitrous Mafia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2009, 09:36 PM
dj4aces

Send a message via ICQ to dj4aces Send a message via AIM to dj4aces Send a message via MSN to dj4aces Send a message via Yahoo to dj4aces
Quote:
never hurts to have a true superstar on your line with you, I still believe he's a scrub
With his three assists on the night, I'll take that as a "no."

Seriously, though, I'm not here to rub it in or anything. Anything can happen.

Best of luck in the future. Enjoy the rest of the season, guys.

dj4aces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2009, 09:41 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Its great that Peverly is performing well for the Thrashers, but I will take the 70+ games of watching him struggle on a nightly basis over 2 good games for the Thrashers.

01-17-2009, 09:46 PM
Ashe

3 good games.

Ashe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2009, 12:24 AM
predfan24

I'm not usually on the "sky is falling" bandwagon but consider me offically hopping on it. I have no more expectations for this team other than going to games and hopefully seeing a good game once in awhile.

predfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2009, 12:34 AM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

Wow.

That could be one of the worst games, if not the worst that the Predators have ever played in their entire franchise's history. The moment the first shift left the ice, the whole team just quit. Ellis sucked, Koistinen sucked hard, Erat sucked, the power play sucked... the only players that didn't outright suck were Rinne and Tootoo, and they looked average. We play a pretty fast and aggressive team... and we sit our fastest and arguably most aggressive player. Great way to match up against the opposition.

Peverley was a completely different player. He used his speed, was dominant in the face-off dot, and made a lot of things happen. Anderson has coached to Peverley's strengths and found a position that he could fill with his skill set. He's worthless on a checking line, where Trotz wanted to play him constantly, but he's been put alongside some skilled offensive players and doesn't have to constantly be concerned with his defensive positioning like he was here.

It's a prime example of coaching a player to his strengths rather than looking for a specific player and trying to force players into roles they may not be suited for.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2009, 01:20 AM
DungeonK
Love Thy Neighbor

Quote:
he's been playing on the *clears throat* top line
Quote:
Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever View Post
I didn't know Peverley's changed his name to Todd White.
Agreed, there is no denying Kozlov-White-Little is the top line... has been way too consistent.

Kovalchuk's linemates have been a revolving door the past 2 or 3 seasons and for the most part have been terrible. Most of his success has come from having a power forward at center or on the RW like Tkachuk, Recchi, or even sometimes Thorburn to take the puck into traffic to pull people away from Kovy long enough for him to tee up. Peverley looks to have the speed to just gun it down the ice with Kovy, which nobody has ever really been able to do effectively. For as many bad experiments at finding a center for Kovy this franchise has been through since Savard, including Steve Rucchin, Bobby Holik, Niko Kapanen, and recently Todd White (who think God gelled with the other line this season), it's been nothing short of a miracle to see someone out there that actually compliments his skill set properly instead of just throwing the puck at him asap.

This game was fun to watch from the standpoint that the Thrashers haven't had much success this season and now have looked great in back to back games, but at the same time it was sad to see it against a team like Nashville that I have really pulled for recently because of the Balsille controversy and my general love of southern hockey. Plus Dan Ellis was a complete donkey out there and blew it open before it started.

But anyway, I was just dropping in to give my two cents on Peverley before he follows up his 6 points in 2 games with 2 points in 6 games (please God no!), and wish you guys better luck than you had tonight here on out.

DungeonK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2009, 07:42 AM
RollingPredFan

Yes Ellis stunk but so did Rinne. The whole team should take a bow for their amazing suckage. If I'm Ellis I'm tired of being the fans and Trotzy's scapegoat. Yeah we needed a big save and we didn't get one but neither did Rinne, Ellis had to stop a 2 on 1, a prefectly deflected tip, and a clean breakaway from Kovalchuk of all people. Ellis gave up 3, Rinne gave up 4.

Except for maybe the first couple of shifts.... I can't believe how flat, slow, mistake prone they looked and how we made the Thrashers look like an elite team AT HOME.

At the moment I can't see this team making a run. We'd have to play out of our minds to get in the playoffs.... Lottery pick here we come!

RollingPredFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2009, 08:05 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

A day later and this game still bothers me. In most organizations, something would happen after a game like this. Our organization? Nothing..... Its a little disappointing to say the least.

Enoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2009, 09:03 AM
lstcyr

Quote:
Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever View Post
Wow.
It's a prime example of coaching a player to his strengths rather than looking for a specific player and trying to force players into roles they may not be suited for.
And which one of Arnott and Legwand would you have replaced Peverley with?

lstcyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2009, 09:29 AM
Mike Krushelnyski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
A day later and this game still bothers me. In most organizations, something would happen after a game like this. Our organization? Nothing..... Its a little disappointing to say the least.
You should try being an Edmonton fan... nothing happens on a regular basis

Mike Krushelnyski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2009, 10:01 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Krushelnyski View Post
You should try being an Edmonton fan... nothing happens on a regular basis
David Poile

Enough said....

I like the man, but he believes his best move, is to not make one at all.

Enoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2009, 10:10 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by lstcyr View Post
not just that, but I think getting panties twisted over a game in which Pevs had a) two secondary assists out of his three total and b) took part in a seven goal game is a little silly. I don't care donkey-doo what Peverley did in this game. I only care about how awfully and flatly we played in front of a sell-out crowd.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2009, 10:48 AM
Enstrom39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
David Poile

Enough said....

I like the man, but he believes his best move, is to not make one at all.
I'd take your GM any day of the week. The guy works miracles every season by having a bottom end payroll and managing to put a playoff contender out there year after year. Very difficult to pull off consistently.

Enstrom39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2009, 10:50 AM
darth5
Rowsdower!

Let's face it-- We do not have enoiugh high skill, high performing players right now to outfit 2 lines. Period. On a good night this team can out-grind, out-hussle, out-goaltend a better team. But there have not been nearly enough 'good' nights this year.

I actually turned it off. Virtual guarantee there are no consequences besides the 15 minute closed door meeting last night. We have an owner who has to 'trust' his GM, are cash-strapped, and a GM who prefers to sit tight.

Looks like a long rest of season. At best, a post lockout rally gets us close to Eighth but no cigar. Close enough to crush any hopes of a top 5 pick. That is the MO of this group. Back to pre-playoff mode.

darth5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2009, 10:54 AM
dulzhok

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Falconer View Post
I'd take your GM any day of the week. The guy works miracles every season by having a bottom end payroll and managing to put a playoff contender out there year after year. Very difficult to pull off consistently.
We've never made it past the first round, so I don't see how he's building a contender year after year.

Poile's MO is building a good team, but never being able to pull it together and build a great team. This is exactly why Washington fired him, and exactly we we seem to be stuck in our team's development, with no end in sight.

dulzhok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2009, 02:12 PM
lstcyr

Quote:
Originally Posted by dulzhok View Post
We've never made it past the first round, so I don't see how he's building a contender year after year.

Poile's MO is building a good team, but never being able to pull it together and build a great team. This is exactly why Washington fired him, and exactly we we seem to be stuck in our team's development, with no end in sight.
I'm not quite sure what miracle you're looking for. Poile is working within his budgetary constraints. We've made the playoffs the last four years (granted haven't got out of the first round but we've had the chance to play for the cup - check out the book Moneyball for discussion in baseball terms about difference in regular season and playoffs) and that is a contender.

To assume Poile doesn't want better players, doesn't want to make trades, doesn't want this team to be better and get to the cup is not reasonable. I think he's doing the best he can within the limits he has. If he left tomorrow, no doubt he could have a job the following day.

lstcyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2009, 06:27 PM
jstreet

vCash: 50
there is some back and forth here about Peverly but the fact remains that he wouldnt have found himself with his backs packed on a train to the minors if he had shown an ounce of that skill all year long.

having said that, he did have a great game so congrats to him on that.

I had a friend who drove all the way down from Illinois for this game. His parents bought us lower bowl tickets as a bday present for him, and the game was a tremendous stinker. I actually had some Preds players apologize to me for it which was weird..I'll write about that experience later when I have some time.

jstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2009, 07:01 PM
jstreet

vCash: 50
I forgot to mention this:

I will be furious if Ville K. ever gets to step foot on the ice in a Preds sweater. We havent had a Dman this bad since the *elmore days.

After his turnover machine performance in the first 10 minutes I thought there was no way Trotz would let him off the bench and yet Trotz puts him on the point of the PP, which he fails to keep the puck in the zone...I want to scream when I think about it.

jstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2009, 08:47 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lstcyr View Post
Well, Legwand could have been moved to the wing a few games sooner and allowed Peverley the opportunity to play that role.

Of course, he would probably still have failed because he would be too concerned with playing defense.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2009, 08:56 PM
braindead

Trust your old avatar not a couple of games since this. He had his chance- he failed. If we get Kovy on our team, maybe he can set him up. Until then, forget it. He is now a top 6 player on a suck team. A suck team that just killed us but still a suck team.

braindead is offline   Reply With Quote