Notices

Game 43: vs Los Angeles, 1/17

Old
01-17-2009, 03:43 PM
piqued
Global Moderator
go

vCash: 27750
Ersberg with a great lunge on Lehts' bid.

piqued is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2009, 03:43 PM
Penner getrdonebryan

vCash: 500
Marty with the first star

Penner getrdonebryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2009, 03:44 PM
ugrakarma

I'm starting to think the Stars players get paid by the hour. Nice win though.

ugrakarma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2009, 03:44 PM
Captain Awesome

I think Ribeiro should be the first star, 2 points and the shootout winning goal?

Captain Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2009, 03:45 PM
Modo
Global Moderator
Mo'Benn

vCash: 50
Stars WIN!!!

Modo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2009, 03:45 PM
Caseman

Wow. I was 99.99% sure Johnson would score.

Again, I'm annoyed our team couldn't win it in regulation... again. These OT points will come back and bite down the road.

Caseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2009, 03:48 PM
Alistar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caseman View Post
Wow. I was 99.99% sure Johnson would score.

Again, I'm annoyed our team couldn't win it in regulation... again. These OT points will come back and bite down the road.
well If we get beat by Los Angeles in the end, then we'll have alot more to complain about then this game

we're still 2 points out of 8th, but only 4 points out of 5th with massive games in hand on Anaheim, Phoenix, and Vancouver.

obviously Dallas has to be better to make the playoffs, but they are gaining ground..

Alistar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2009, 03:49 PM
Kritter471

Send a message via AIM to Kritter471
Annoyed they gave up a goal with 20 seconds left (someone, anyone, please clear the front of the net?). Glad they got their stuff together in the shootout this time.

Didn't get to watch this real closely except the last minute and shootout. It's high time they stop this loser-point habit though.

Also, five points out of six in a three-game homestand ain't bad, but neither is giving up four points (two to teams in their conference).

Kritter471 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2009, 03:49 PM
Captain Awesome

Yes they will, I don't think this team makes the playoffs. They just aren't a good team. They're a Brenden Morrow away from being decent, but it's not a playoff team.

Old
01-17-2009, 03:53 PM
Penner getrdonebryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent Bob View Post
Yes they will, I don't think this team makes the playoffs. They just aren't a good team. They're a Brenden Morrow away from being decent, but it's not a playoff team.
+a healthy Zubov away from being a top team IMO

Penner getrdonebryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2009, 03:54 PM
Caseman

Quote:
I think you are overrating the quality of other teams.

Old
01-17-2009, 03:55 PM
Alistar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caseman View Post
I think you are overrating the quality of other teams.
exactly... we have wins over all the teams "around" us in the standings, it's not like any of them are that much better then us.

Alistar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2009, 04:53 PM
Modo
Global Moderator
Mo'Benn

Quote:
That's the spirit, way to believe!

Sure it's fun to marvel at how much of a disaster this season has been, but as far as I'm concerned this team is still a playoff contender. I still think they'll make it in, maybe even comfortably.

Old
01-17-2009, 06:58 PM
Captain Awesome

Sure hte teams around us aren't great, but if this team makes the playoffs it'll be pointless anyway, at least that's what I honestly believe.

This has been said before, I'm sure it was said in the Buffalo thread, lol.

Old
01-17-2009, 07:27 PM
Caseman

Quote:
Sure hte teams around us aren't great, but if this team makes the playoffs it'll be pointless anyway, at least that's what I honestly believe.

This has been said before, I'm sure it was said in the Buffalo thread, lol.
Uh, have you seen the NHL playoffs recently? It doesn't matter what seed you are. All you need is a hot goalie and two clicking lines. Getting in is good enough. Heck, they aren't even that far from the 5th seed. You need to lighten up a bit.

Old
01-17-2009, 07:57 PM
vofty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modo View Post
That's the spirit, way to believe!

Sure it's fun to marvel at how much of a disaster this season has been, but as far as I'm concerned this team is still a playoff contender. I still think they'll make it in, maybe even comfortably.
I concur. Obviously we are not last year's team and to compare the two is pretty pointless. But I have been impressed with the focus since, what will be referred to by me from here on out as the "December Debacle". Star power is not something this team overflows with, heart it appears we have at times. The team is 2 points out of a playoff spot, if we were still sitting bottom of the league I would agree that we are definitely not a playoff team, but I just don't think you can say that with a team that is on the cusp. Will we get far? Probably not, but the point is we might make it, which will be no small accomplishment this year. It will endear this team to me, even if they don't go far...I like heart (which they have most of the time...lol)

vofty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2009, 08:07 PM
BigG44

vCash: 475
I still believe the team can make the playoffs, but it's pointless to keep holding up their current record as proof.

According to Ralph, 13 games ago the Stars were 5 points out of the playoffs. After going 7-3-3 in that time, the Stars were 4 points out of the playoffs before today’s games.

They can do it, but they're going to have to play the rest of the season like they played in February of 2007.

Aren’t you guys sick of typing “they’re only 2-3-4-5 points out of the playoff race.” Just relax. Getting annoyed because someone says the Stars aren’t a playoff team is a lost cause. The odds of they making the playoffs are against them. That person is probably more correct than you are.

Just be happy that you still have a little faith.

BigG44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2009, 11:33 PM
piqued
Global Moderator
go

vCash: 27750
First, seeding is important. Very important. The Stars had the most difficult possible path to the Cup last year because of their seed.

Secondly, the Stars were a skills competition away from another collapse. At home. Good teams do not do the things that the Stars do.

piqued is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2009, 01:18 AM
Tumsh

Didn't want to start a new thread about this. Does anyone know when Brunnstrom will be back, or where I can find the information about his status?

Thanks.

Tumsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2009, 01:39 AM
theheadmata

Send a message via AIM to theheadmata
Tippett doesn't think Brunnstrom will be back until after the All-Star break.

theheadmata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2009, 01:44 AM
Captain Awesome

We actually have an injuries thread as a sticky I believe. But it'd be nice if he came back soon.

And you guys can gang up on me all you want, but usually hot playoff teams have signs of being awesome. Take CBJ this year, that team has the signs of an 8th seed that can do some Edmonton like damage. It's usually some crazy X factor that comes out of nowhere. Roloson, Ward, etc. Does Marty Turco look like a goalie that's going to get hot at some point? No, he doesn't. Sure Morrow and Zubov instantly make us a playoff team, but we have holes.

Wanna know how I know this isn't a playoff team? Because I actually pay attention to who is on the waiver wire with the possibility of them being acquired. That's a very, very bad sign.

Old
01-18-2009, 06:40 AM
theheadmata

Send a message via AIM to theheadmata
It seems as though a healthy Morrow almost instantly makes this team a deep playoff threat.

theheadmata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2009, 08:22 AM
Modo
Global Moderator
Mo'Benn

I just think it's exciting that a team that was once dead last in the ENTIRE NHL at one point, is back in the hunt and quite capable of ending up in the top 8 in the conference.

Old
01-18-2009, 09:43 AM
Caseman

Quote:
We actually have an injuries thread as a sticky I believe. But it'd be nice if he came back soon.

And you guys can gang up on me all you want, but usually hot playoff teams have signs of being awesome. Take CBJ this year, that team has the signs of an 8th seed that can do some Edmonton like damage. It's usually some crazy X factor that comes out of nowhere. Roloson, Ward, etc. Does Marty Turco look like a goalie that's going to get hot at some point? No, he doesn't. Sure Morrow and Zubov instantly make us a playoff team, but we have holes.

Wanna know how I know this isn't a playoff team? Because I actually pay attention to who is on the waiver wire with the possibility of them being acquired. That's a very, very bad sign.
You think CBJ have "signs of being awesome"? A team as injured as the Stars? I don't understand your point here... Did you expect Turco to get hot last year? Did you expect the Stars to even advance past the first round? No? Exactly. Anything can happen in the playoffs.

I support negativity when it is deserved, but your doom-and-gloom, "it doesn't matter if they make the playoffs" attitude is dumb.

Old
01-18-2009, 01:01 PM
Captain Awesome

Do you think this team has an honest shot at winning the cup? I think we need another top 4 d-man that is big and physical along with Zubov to make that happen, at the very least. And yes, if Mason keeps up his play and if some of their top 6 forwards came back things could get interesting.

And I've expected the Stars to advance past the first round nearly every year, because they are generally better than the team they've played. I honestly think they have as much of a chance of making the playoffs as they do of missing it. How likely is it that this team wins a stanley cup? Gets to the 2nd round even?