Notices

Game 43: vs Los Angeles, 1/17

Old
01-18-2009, 01:53 PM
Caseman

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent Bob View Post
Do you think this team has an honest shot at winning the cup? I think we need another top 4 d-man that is big and physical along with Zubov to make that happen, at the very least. And yes, if Mason keeps up his play and if some of their top 6 forwards came back things could get interesting.

And I've expected the Stars to advance past the first round nearly every year, because they are generally better than the team they've played. I honestly think they have as much of a chance of making the playoffs as they do of missing it. How likely is it that this team wins a stanley cup? Gets to the 2nd round even?
Okay. This is as nice as I can put it: What is your freaking point? Only one team can win the cup and it's not always the best team. If it was, there would be no playoffs. What response do you expect when you post "it's hopeless"? What do you want them to do? Pack it in? Forfeit the rest of their games? Tear the team down and rebuild? Seriously, what is your point??!!

Also, you expecting forward production from a Hitchcock team is funny.

Caseman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2009, 02:26 PM
Modo
Global Moderator
Mo'Benn

vCash: 50
I'm with Caseman. It's not about packing it in since the Stars aren't the odds-on favourite to win the Cup, or at this point even make the postseason. It's about BELIEVING they've got a shot at the playoffs, and then afterwards who knows?

You won't see me jumping around the main board shouting "I told you so!" if this team accomplishes the improbable and wins the Cup this year, but I'll feel a hell of a lot better knowing they at least made the playoffs when so many, including many of their own fans, were so sure they wouldn't make it.

Even if this team makes the playoffs as the 8th seed, by a tiebreaker, and then gets swept, I'll be much happier than if they didn't even make it in. Because they're definitely not bad enough to land a top 5 draft pick, and after that there's really no difference between a bottom-rung playoff team, and the best team to not make it in.

Modo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2009, 03:25 PM
Captain Awesome

I figure if you aren't going to make the playoffs you might as well get a top 10 pick. I do believe this team can make the playoffs, I just don't think they will. That's my point. A top 10 pick would be nice in this incredibly deep draft.

Captain Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2009, 03:59 PM
Modo
Global Moderator
Mo'Benn

Quote:
Do you think this team has an honest shot at winning the cup? I think we need another top 4 d-man that is big and physical along with Zubov to make that happen, at the very least. And yes, if Mason keeps up his play and if some of their top 6 forwards came back things could get interesting.

And I've expected the Stars to advance past the first round nearly every year, because they are generally better than the team they've played. I honestly think they have as much of a chance of making the playoffs as they do of missing it. How likely is it that this team wins a stanley cup? Gets to the 2nd round even?
Quote:
I figure if you aren't going to make the playoffs you might as well get a top 10 pick. I do believe this team can make the playoffs, I just don't think they will. That's my point. A top 10 pick would be nice in this incredibly deep draft.
Yeah, grabbing a blue chip prospect with a high pick like that would be cool, but what scares me is if Dallas ends up 9th or 10th, no man's land. Not good enough for the playoffs, not bad enough for a great draft pick. That's why I'm gunning for a playoff spot as opposed to tanking, which I believe this team is incapable of doing.

Old
01-19-2009, 08:43 AM
Sony Eriksson*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modo View Post
Yeah, grabbing a blue chip prospect with a high pick like that would be cool, but what scares me is if Dallas ends up 9th or 10th, no man's land. Not good enough for the playoffs, not bad enough for a great draft pick. That's why I'm gunning for a playoff spot as opposed to tanking, which I believe this team is incapable of doing.
There are people thinking Evander Kane will be around a 9th or 10th pick. Also Jared Cowen at 6'5 218ibs seems to be a more stay at home D man and god knows that is what we need.

Sony Eriksson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2009, 08:54 AM
Modo
Global Moderator
Mo'Benn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addiction View Post
There are people thinking Evander Kane will be around a 9th or 10th pick. Also Jared Cowen at 6'5 218ibs seems to be a more stay at home D man and god knows that is what we need.
I meant 9th or 10th in the conference, which is around the mid-teens as far as draft picks go.

Old
01-19-2009, 03:42 PM
Captain Awesome

Yeah that is a pretty terrible place to pick. I think if they sell at the trade deadline it might not be too much of a problem, otherwise I could see us get in 9th, which is really kinda crappy unless they find a really good pick ala Perry or Carter (if only).

Captain Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote