HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Gregory Stewart Recalled

Old
01-17-2009, 05:16 PM
JeromeHP
@Jerome_Berube

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tundar View Post
Playing Ottawa tonight so hopefully he will keep Neil in tact and keep him from taking advantage of our players.
is he playing tonight?

JeromeHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2009, 06:59 PM
tundar

He is playing but isn't getting too many minutes. Under 2 mins at the end of the 1st.

tundar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2009, 09:04 PM
1UP

Played about 10 minutes and got a pass.

Good job by the kid.

1UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2009, 09:06 PM
zx81

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1UP View Post
Played about 10 minutes and got a pass.

Good job by the kid.
He played very well....a lot more impressive than Chipchura anyway.

zx81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2009, 09:09 PM
Iyathurai
Still missing Saku:(

Send a message via MSN to Iyathurai
I was really impressed by Stewart tonight...too bad he won't be staying with us longer..along side a few other players.

Iyathurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2009, 09:12 PM
Mike8

Needs to put on some muscle.

Mike8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2009, 09:12 PM
googlymoogly

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHfan1990 View Post
I was really impressed by Stewart tonight...too bad he won't be staying with us longer..along side a few other players.
In his two NHL games played he was good. I think Begin is gone next year and Stewart will get the spot. He is younger faster bigger.

googlymoogly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2009, 09:15 PM
Iyathurai
Still missing Saku:(

Send a message via MSN to Iyathurai
Quote:
Originally Posted by googlymoogly View Post
In his two NHL games played he was good. I think Begin is gone next year and Stewart will get the spot. He is younger faster bigger.
Yeah I can see Stewart replacing Begin's spot next year. Both really similar players.

Iyathurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2009, 09:19 PM
Maxpac

Quote:
Yeah I can see Stewart replacing Begin's spot next year. Both really similar players.
Yep, i think a Stewart-Lappierre-Laraque line will be really exciting. Imo Latendresse will graduate perminently on a more offensive line.

Maxpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2009, 09:21 PM
BJG

Can Chips be sent down without passing through waivers? During the GDT I suggested that Stewart could work playing with Saku and Dags (someone questioned my seriousness).

Given that Saku will be back before Tang and Higgins, and given that we don't want to mess with the other three lines, and given that Carbo will want to ease Saku back, I think it makes perfect sense.

I know that's a lot of 'givens', but if we can keep Stewart up when Saks gets back, I think it works all around

BJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2009, 09:54 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJG View Post
Can Chips be sent down without passing through waivers? During the GDT I suggested that Stewart could work playing with Saku and Dags (someone questioned my seriousness).

Given that Saku will be back before Tang and Higgins, and given that we don't want to mess with the other three lines, and given that Carbo will want to ease Saku back, I think it makes perfect sense.

I know that's a lot of 'givens', but if we can keep Stewart up when Saks gets back, I think it works all around
Try D'agostini Koivu Lats and put Begin with Lapierre and Kostopoulos.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2009, 09:58 PM
Next Best Thing*

Quote:
Similar players is an insult to Stewart, actually. My apologies to Begin who has served us well over his tenure as a Hab.

Next Best Thing* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2009, 12:22 AM
le_sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
Yep, i think a Stewart-Lappierre-Laraque line will be really exciting. Imo Latendresse will graduate perminently on a more offensive line.
At this rate Lapierre is our 3rd line shutdown centre and Chipchura will be the 4th line centre. That is unless Gainey goes with 3 offensive guys down the middle again.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2009, 05:41 AM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

this game was a much better litmus test for stewart than his previous game at the NHL level.

If you remember his first game, it was a meaningless game against the hapless leafs. He thrived in it but it wasn't your typical nhl test. Tonight, Stewart went up against a team that has their urgency level ramped up to playoff mode and he didn't look out of place. I dont know if he has a future with the habs, but I think this kid is going to carve out an nhl career in an energy role.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2009, 07:39 AM
MrNasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Next Best Thing View Post
Similar players is an insult to Stewart, actually. My apologies to Begin who has served us well over his tenure as a Hab.
sigh. why is that every prospect on the Habs is believed to better than current NHL'ers? Stewart will be lucky if he has the same career Begin has. Don't expect him to be more than a 4th liner in the NHL.

Danis is prime example of this overrating. Guys thought he was going to be a #1 goaltender in the NHL and couldn't believe Gainey let him go for nothing...and now he can't even make the Islanders back-up.

BTW, don't expect Stewart to much of a fighter in the NHL. He fights occasionally in the minors but watching his fights at hockeyfights.com leaves a lot to be desired for. Nevertheless he is a good hitter and energy guy.

MrNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2009, 10:47 AM
Maxpac

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
At this rate Lapierre is our 3rd line shutdown centre and Chipchura will be the 4th line centre. That is unless Gainey goes with 3 offensive guys down the middle again.
With our deth at wing there's no way we won't have another 3 offensive lines team next year and the next.

Maxpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2009, 01:38 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

He played well but he said in an interview:"they told us not to fight" when the press asked him about Neil's challenges.

That's why I hate Carbonneau sometime.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2009, 01:42 AM
le_sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
He played well but he said in an interview:"they told us not to fight" when the press asked him about Neil's challenges.

That's why I hate Carbonneau sometime.
It was a smart move. Ottawa was down most of the game, why would the Habs give them momentum by having Stewart fight Neil? It would have been stupid. Just like Kostopoulos fighting Clarkson when it was 1-0, the team looked flat after and never recovered. Stewart would have fought if the Habs were DOWN.

Old
01-19-2009, 01:55 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
It was a smart move. Ottawa was down most of the game, why would the Habs give them momentum by having Stewart fight Neil? It would have been stupid. Just like Kostopoulos fighting Clarkson when it was 1-0, the team looked flat after and never recovered. Stewart would have fought if the Habs were DOWN.
Well say Neil wanted to fight and Stewart refuse because he doesn't want the Sens back in the game; what if it's the other way around and Stewart wants the Habs back in the game and Neil refuse? What's the point? I'm just saying if a guy is running around trying to injure your players because he's mad you better straight him up. It didn't matter anyway because Neil didn't do much.

But to me just the thought of a coach asking his guys to not strike back is not admirable. (well he should tell Begin and Kosto not to fight, at least lol)

Old
01-19-2009, 02:00 AM
le_sean

Quote:
Well say Neil wanted to fight and Stewart refuse because he doesn't want the Sens back in the game; what if it's the other way around and Stewart wants the Habs back in the game and Neil refuse? What's the point? I'm just saying if a guy is running around trying to injure your players because he's mad you better straight him up. It didn't matter anyway because Neil didn't do much.

But to me just the thought of a coach asking his guys to not strike back is not admirable. (well he should tell Begin and Kosto not to fight, at least lol)
Like you said, Neil did not do much in that game. He didn't really provoke anything other than being his ugly whiny self. He seems to like to knock Carey around when he can, so I agree even with a lead I would send someone after him. I can't see Stewart winning that fight though.

And I think Carbo only said something because he knew Stewart would be pumped and ready to do anything for the team in his short stint. You just need to pick your spots carefully sometimes.

Old
01-19-2009, 02:20 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

You got a point there. Trying to calm his "wild horse" so to speak.

Still hopefuly he doesn't do it too much. I want to see Stewart in action.

Old
01-19-2009, 11:40 AM
Chris Nilan

Quote:
How about scoring a goal as a way of getting the team going or proving a point? Just stop and say "Scoreboard!" When was scoring a goal ever a bad idea? When was that a let down?

If he's the valuable player the posters say, isn't he better off on the ice than in the penalty box for 5 minutes (or more)?

Neil and Ruutu are more likely to start something if they know they can get a response. Minnesota has Derek Boogard and their guys get whacked. Koivu (the younger) ended up with a broken ankle! Watch highlights of the Canadiens/Nordiques or the Canadiens/Bruins. As much as a I loved him when I was a child, as a adult, and as someone who has studied the game academically (sociology) for a dozen years, I can see that the mere presence of Chris Nilan only encouraged Dale Hunter, Ken Linseman, Keith Crowder, etc. Linseman and Crowder would never fight Nilan but I recall both of them going after Svoboda when he was a rookie only to turtle to Knuckles, who of course got the penalty.

Sorry, but I just don't buy the fighting arguments any more. I haven't for about ten years. As much as Nik Antropov annoys me endlessly (more than Neil or Ruutu), I know that the presence of a goon/policeman/enforcer/protector only encourages him.

Chris Nilan is offline   Reply With Quote