HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

"The Reject Returns" 1/17/09: Nashville vs. Atlanta

Old
01-19-2009, 05:26 AM
sparkle twin
Real Deal

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to sparkle twin Send a message via AIM to sparkle twin
The worst "hockey" ever "played" here. There was a game about 5 years ago we lost 3-0 to Calgary here that I considered the worst game ever, but O....M...G this game had to be the worst ever. One mistake, OK, move on. But it was like they just forgot how to play. Even Weber was letting Peverley skate around him! Does everyone realize that Ellis had a save% of .250% Saturday. Three goals on 4 shots and really the 4th shot probably shouldn't have even counted as a shot. I know Ellis is tired of being the one that takes the blame, but at some point he has to make a game-saving save and give people a reason to not fully blame him. Rinne wasn't any better either. Why is Trotz afraid to use a timeout? If not after the quick second goal, then after the third goal he should have used it there to rip into the team and tell them to either play or start packing their bags. I know a goalie change should wake up the team but it was pretty obvious that this wasn't going to turn around.

The few good things that did happen: Preds actually score a 5-on-3 goal, still won a majority of the F/O, didn't allow a PPG, only took 2 penalties, the game ended.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
Perfect pass to Koistinen, and what do you know, he lets it go right by him ruining another powerplay setup. I'm sorry, but Koistinen is officially the new whipping boy for me. He is TERRIBLE.
You're not the only one. People at the arena were ready for VK to be traded right after the first turnover. Then he made another one, and pretty much everyone wanted to get down to the lockerroom to start packing his bags.

Quote:
A day later and this game still bothers me. In most organizations, something would happen after a game like this. Our organization? Nothing..... Its a little disappointing to say the least.
The best thing we get is an apology from Barry Trotz in his postgame press conf. All Arnott could muster was that it was embarassing and he was surprised how many people didn't leave after the first period (actually I was shocked it was still fairly full at the start of the third pd).

No I take that back, something did happen. They decided to go ahead and ship Jones/Santorelli back to MIL. I mean, they're the ones who go out there and bust their ***** every game like they care even if the points aren't coming right now but send them down for "playing time" or whatever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnlikestars View Post
I had a friend who drove all the way down from Illinois for this game. His parents bought us lower bowl tickets as a bday present for him, and the game was a tremendous stinker. I actually had some Preds players apologize to me for it which was weird..I'll write about that experience later when I have some time.
Some girl asked my Mom if the Preds were always this bad. She said that her friends told her this was a game to go to for her first hockey game because Preds had a good chance at winning. A sell-out, new fans in the building and a pathetic excuse for a game. That's the way to get fans in the seats. Full revenue sharing he we come!

sparkle twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2009, 09:42 AM
jstreet
Smashville

vCash: 6000
Quote:
Originally Posted by spank303 View Post
Some girl asked my Mom if the Preds were always this bad. She said that her friends told her this was a game to go to for her first hockey game because Preds had a good chance at winning. A sell-out, new fans in the building and a pathetic excuse for a game. That's the way to get fans in the seats. Full revenue sharing he we come!

same thing here, I was in talks with this guys mom about which game she should buy tickets too, I told her that without a doubt this was the one to come into town to watch...

we need a win tonight bad, I cant harbor these kinds of feeling for this team for an entire week

jstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2009, 09:57 AM
crossxcheck

Send a message via AIM to crossxcheck Send a message via MSN to crossxcheck Send a message via Yahoo to crossxcheck

crossxcheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2009, 11:01 AM
dj4aces

Send a message via ICQ to dj4aces Send a message via AIM to dj4aces Send a message via MSN to dj4aces Send a message via Yahoo to dj4aces
Quote:
A day later and this game still bothers me. In most organizations, something would happen after a game like this. Our organization? Nothing..... Its a little disappointing to say the least.
Atlanta lost 7-0 to Philadelphia earlier this season, and 10-1 against Buffalo last season. I felt the same way then as you do now. As a fan of one suck team to a fan of another, I truly feel your pain. I hope things work out for both of our franchises, and soon. With the economy as poor as it is now, neither team can afford to ice crappy hockey.

Good luck tonight against Jersey. I'll be watching, because Atlanta doesn't have a game tonight, and I'd like to see you guys bounce back after a loss like the one on Saturday.

dj4aces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2009, 01:39 PM
dulzhok

Quote:
Originally Posted by lstcyr View Post
I'm not quite sure what miracle you're looking for. Poile is working within his budgetary constraints. We've made the playoffs the last four years (granted haven't got out of the first round but we've had the chance to play for the cup - check out the book Moneyball for discussion in baseball terms about difference in regular season and playoffs) and that is a contender.

To assume Poile doesn't want better players, doesn't want to make trades, doesn't want this team to be better and get to the cup is not reasonable. I think he's doing the best he can within the limits he has. If he left tomorrow, no doubt he could have a job the following day.
And more teams make the playoffs in the NHL vs the MLB. Twice as many. So, there's really no comparing the two.

Like I said, Poile is capable of building a good team (even one that makes the playoffs consistently). But, he's shown no signs in his career of being able to take to the next level.

Reasons why Poile should go
- Hasn't won a playoff round in 12 years as GM
- Too passive for a GM. Example... almost all our FA signing have publicly commented that they had to come to Nashville, and that Poile made no attempt to contact them.
- That passiveness is extremely evident in his trading history.
- I suspect that passiveness played a key role in losing Radulov to Russia.
- The times when he does get the b*lls to pull of a significant trade, he usually gets burned. Examples, Forsberg, Witt, Walker, and dating back to his Washington days (Allison). Lone exception is Sullivan. This could be why he's so hesitant to make a move.
- "Made our bed" (his words) by handing out big contracts to middle-of-the-road players (Legwand, Erat, Mason, etc).
- For all the praise his drafting gets, we have only had one all-star in 12 years of drafting.
- Never had a draft pick reach 30 goals. Honestly, I don't see that happening anytime soon. Only hope is if Radulov comes back.

The only compassion I give him is the whole Leiopold situation. Forced him to get rid of Timonen and Hartnell. Leipold was also likely behind the Forsberg trade.

dulzhok is offline   Reply With Quote