HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Would a lockout hurt hockey in your city?

Closed Thread

Old
08-05-2004, 01:20 PM
gretzky1545

vCash: 500
Yes, the Houston hockey community will be crippled as a result of this lockout.

Old
08-05-2004, 01:23 PM
c-carp

Quote:
Originally Posted by quick
Just to get an idea

In Edmonton, no, a half to full season wiped out probably wouldn't hurt hockey at all. Same goes for the other 4 canadian cities and Toronto.
In St. Louis. Yes because the Diehards would come back regardless but the general fan base wouldnt have much patients with a lockout.

Old
08-05-2004, 01:26 PM
c-carp

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitaraholic
Nahhh. Chicago is such a large area for food and restaraunts, hotels, conventions and all the rest (the northside is essentially one big entertainment district) that the tiny amounts of revenue generated by the Hawks would be essentially unnoticed by it's absence. Chicago is much, much bigger than any hockey team ever will be. The city itself and it's vendors won't feel a pinch in the slightest. Perhaps your argument would hold water in smaller cities like St.Louis but not in a major, international city like Chicago.
Would you be saying that 10 years ago when, the Stadium or the United Center was packed nightly. Chicago sports fans as a rule are some of the most rabid in sports an if Wirtz hadnt alianated a majority of them by running the Hawks into the ground, I dont think you could say that a lockout would have little effect in Chicago.

Old
08-05-2004, 01:47 PM
CH4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR. X
Are you delusional or just plain stupid? I don't care how loyal you think a sports team fans are, a long-term lockout will hurt all teams. Asides from people with nothing else to do, who is going to sit around and wait for the NHL to get their heads out of their ***** and make the league work? I have been a season ticket hold for the Hurricanes since they moved to Raleigh and I generally support the team. If there is a lockout for an extended amount of time I will spend my entertainment dollars elsewhere. There are enough options that I don't have to wait for the NHL to come back. Montreal is a great city (from what I have seen on my trips their) and I am sure there are other things going on their other than hockey. People will find other things to do.
Don't forget that, in Montreal, we does not have NFL, NBA and our Soccer A league Impact get twice attendance than MLB Montreal Expos or I should say Washington Expos so... for a sport fan in Quebec Canadiens is THE LIFE

Old
08-05-2004, 01:57 PM
guitaraholic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by c-carp
Would you be saying that 10 years ago when, the Stadium or the United Center was packed nightly. Chicago sports fans as a rule are some of the most rabid in sports an if Wirtz hadnt alianated a majority of them by running the Hawks into the ground, I dont think you could say that a lockout would have little effect in Chicago.
I've lived in Chicago for the last 20 years... how long have you lived here? I'm sorry, but I'm not going to take seriously any suggestions on what Chicago sports fans are like from someone who has never lived here a day in his life, which I'm suspecting is you. All sports fans in every city are finicky, more or less. Look at Detroit's fans. They were essentially non-existent during the lean (many many) years of the Wings history but all of a sudden they win a couple of Cups and guys from Mississaugga or wherever are on the bandwagon (or is that the Avs bandwagon they're on? either way...) so to suggest that a winning team creates fan interest isn't exactly a revelation on your part. Furthermore the question was what effect would it have on your city (the lockout) which implies what effect would it have RIGHT NOW on the city you live in. The question wasn't asked "what would the effect of a lockout 10 years ago have been." So in essence you're answering a question that wasn't even asked and isn't even germain to the discussion, Jermaine.
Hockey, whether you're aware of it or not, is essentially a non-entity in Chicago. Trust me, I know. I've lived here (and play hockey here 3 times a week) far longer than you have.

Old
08-05-2004, 02:02 PM
Papa Smurf

Quote:
Originally Posted by DynastyWings05
4 other Canadian cities and Toronto? I don't get it.
Well, people do consider Toronto to be Canada's American city.

Anyway, as for hockey in my area, no way will it be effected badly. Vancouver has sold out every game for the past 2 seasons, they made a pile of money and the league knows how loyal their fans are. The Canucks aren't going anywhere, except maybe straight to the Stanley Cup!

Old
08-05-2004, 02:33 PM
Schenn02

It won't affect the Leafs...a prolonged lockout even, theres like a billion years waiting list for season ticket holders thats what I heard so...I don't know. I don't think the big market teams will really suffer or the Canadian teams fanwise but the small market teams will lose revenue and fans.

Old
08-05-2004, 02:49 PM
The Kitner Boy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erngueva
I dont think he is stupid. Maybe YOU should go to Montreal to see what is the city before calling someone stupid. Montreal is not a hockey city. It's a Montreal Canadiens City.

Quote:
Montreal is a great city (from what I have seen on my trips there) and I am sure there are other things going on their other than hockey.
Maybe YOU should read what I wrote. Montreal has a lot going on, people will find other ways to spend their entertainment dollars. I am sure the hockey fans there are rapid about their team, but every team will be hurt by a lockout. It isnít the best way for an organization to endear themselves to a city.

Old
08-05-2004, 02:54 PM
The Kitner Boy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeLeafer87
It won't affect the Leafs...a prolonged lockout even, theres like a billion years waiting list for season ticket holders thats what I heard so...I don't know. I don't think the big market teams will really suffer or the Canadian teams fanwise but the small market teams will lose revenue and fans.

How do Canadian and big market teams not loose money? Are people still buying tickets to games that aren't being played?

Old
08-05-2004, 03:33 PM
Coco Crisp

I have a friend who is a Maple Leafs season ticket holder. Has been since the 70's. He has to pay for his season tickets regardless of the season starting on time or not (I assume this is the case with most franchises?) The team will then refund whatever portion is lost in games not being played some time in the future.. Although the Leafs given the amount of money they get from season tickets should make a healthy amount on the interest when they deposit the cash.

Old
08-05-2004, 03:37 PM
Terrier

Here in the Boston area, the sport of hockey itself won't suffer. Massachusetts is dotted with AHL and Division I college teams, and has the most high school teams of any state. I myself play hockey year-round, and whenever the NHL decides to return, I'll be tuning in. Any problems the Bruins encounter would have less to do with a lockout than with the fans' and local media's age-old criticism of management. This morning, Dale Arnold of WEEI radio, who is the Bruins' home game TV announcer, said Mike O'Connell is taking a huge risk in positioning his team for a would-be change in the NHL's financial structure.

Old
08-05-2004, 03:48 PM
Terrier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coco Crisp
I have a friend who is a Maple Leafs season ticket holder. Has been since the 70's. He has to pay for his season tickets regardless of the season starting on time or not (I assume this is the case with most franchises?) The team will then refund whatever portion is lost in games not being played some time in the future.. Although the Leafs given the amount of money they get from season tickets should make a healthy amount on the interest when they deposit the cash.

The Boston Bruins are asking season-ticket holders for half the money now, with the rest due when a new CBA is struck. The team will pay 7.7% interest on this up front deposit money. This figure is in honor of Ray Bourque's #77. Below is a story detailing the season-ticket offers of several teams.

http://www.thesportsking.com/showsto...ry_id=54071431

Old
08-05-2004, 04:24 PM
BobMarleyNYR

Send a message via AIM to BobMarleyNYR
The lockout may have a very positive effect on NHL financing and policymaking alike. I'm sorry to say it, but certain teams will not be able to survive a lockout... but, this could be very good for teams that are sure to stick. More exciting drafts, a possible return to 3-line hockey, and changes in officiating... they should ease up on holding penalties and do away with "instigating." Hopefully, if it's long enough, they can also make wider rinks that European kids can adapt to more easily.

There is no possible way a lockout would hurt NYR.

However, it would surely be the end of the Caps and the Preds. It would badly hurt, or destroy, the Pens and the Thrashers... it couldn't be good for CBJ, Sabes, the Yotes, or the Panthers. We'll have to wait and see.

Old
08-05-2004, 05:28 PM
Schenn02

Quote:
How do Canadian and big market teams not loose money? Are people still buying tickets to games that aren't being played?
Obviously they lose money but IMO I think they will cope better when the NHL resumes cuz the fans will most likely still be there.

Old
08-05-2004, 06:26 PM
Prince Mercury

As a Canadian fan, and as a Leafs fan, yes, the fans would come back in full force. In a way I want a lockout to show the NHL just where its fan loyalties lie. In another way I really, really don't want to see places like Edmonton and Calgary lose their teams so... I'm not rooting for either side. Whatever happens will do. I'll get to see the Leafs soon enough - and if not, I'll just follow the OHL a hell of a lot more closely for a while.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer 93
The other 4 canadian cities and Toronto?
It's okay, if he said "The 29 NHL teams and Toronto" we'd understand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shappa
It would probably devistate Tampa at this moment, we're riding a huge high from the Stanley cup, people know about and are behind the team, and I'm sure that missing an entire season and letting the Buc's have the entire market would treat Tampa very badly.
Look at what happened to Toronto with the Jays after the MLBPA strike. I don't want to speak doom but I would say the team would be lucky to give away tickets after a lockout.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erngueva
I dont think he is stupid. Maybe YOU should go to Montreal to see what is the city before calling someone stupid. Montreal is not a hockey city. It's a Montreal Canadiens City.

Old
08-05-2004, 08:45 PM
Coco Crisp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrier
The Boston Bruins are asking season-ticket holders for half the money now, with the rest due when a new CBA is struck. The team will pay 7.7% interest on this up front deposit money. This figure is in honor of Ray Bourque's #77. Below is a story detailing the season-ticket offers of several teams.

http://www.thesportsking.com/showsto...ry_id=54071431
Ah cool. Thanks for the link.

One thing from the article:

Quote:
The Buffalo Sabres, who already were reducing their single-game and season-ticket prices drastically, now require only a $50 deposit.
Sabres have reduced single-game prices for some games. When teams like the Leafs come to town they will actually raise prices for those games. Obviously the demand for seeing games like that will be higher.

Old
08-05-2004, 11:37 PM
The Kitner Boy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeLeafer87
Obviously they lose money but IMO I think they will cope better when the NHL resumes cuz the fans will most likely still be there.
I think you hit the nail on the head.

Old
08-06-2004, 12:42 AM
blitzkriegs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbsktball1
Yes, the Houston hockey community will be crippled as a result of this lockout.
Obviously, the thread relates to cities that currently have a hockey team. Therefore, Houston will not qualify...

Old
08-06-2004, 01:28 AM
Poikilitic

OMFG, OMFG, MR. X....
I laughed for 10 minutes when I saw your avatar!!! OMG!!! WTF!!! 10/10

Oh sticking on the issue, Toronto will be pretty pissed, cause then all our players are gonna retire

Old
08-06-2004, 01:47 AM
Rob Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
Frankly, it would hurt hockey in every city. I know what you mean, but it should be pointed out that even storied franchises would be hurt, even if it doesn't spell doom for them. Obviously a team like, let's say Carolina, would be more hurt than a Montreal or Toronto.

As for my team, Buffalo, I think they'd be somewhere in the middle of the league if I were to make a list.

Closed Thread