HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Bonk and Hossa?

Closed Thread

Old
08-03-2004, 10:34 AM
Howie Morenz

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan_Latulippe
20 goals....man I just spilled my coffee all over my pc! If most team want him, how come he signed for less money to stay in Montreal? He should have waited and signe for 4-5 million per year somewhere else, no? As for being not afraid to take the body and bla bla bla, this is only a reputation, see the game agains Tampa Bay.
..............."see the game against Tampa Bay"......

Old
08-03-2004, 10:36 AM
sundaystar

i would rather trade zeddick before Bulis.

Old
08-03-2004, 10:45 AM
Ace2000

Send a message via ICQ to Ace2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundaystar
i would rather trade zeddick before Bulis.

who's zeddick?

Old
08-03-2004, 10:48 AM
sundaystar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace2000
who's zeddick?

zeddick as in zednik

Old
08-03-2004, 10:52 AM
Ace2000

Quote:
zeddick as in zednik

i know i just foundit funny that the mods don't ban the word zeddick but they ban the word dick lol!

Old
08-03-2004, 11:05 AM
CH Wizard

Send a message via MSN to CH Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan_Latulippe
20 goals....man I just spilled my coffee all over my pc! If most team want him, how come he signed for less money to stay in Montreal? He should have waited and signe for 4-5 million per year somewhere else, no? As for being not afraid to take the body and bla bla bla, this is only a reputation, see the game agains Tampa Bay.
?!?!? Some players are afraid when the game is getting physical.Not sundstrom ,I know he's soft but not that soft.He can hit if he want but ''il va pas se laisser faire''.I am saying that he don't afraid of body sometimes he's losing one vs one battle but he's still effective.Did you saw Ribs when the game was getting physical ? :lol

Old
08-03-2004, 12:39 PM
HABitude

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreatone
?!?!? Some players are afraid when the game is getting physical.Not sundstrom ,I know he's soft but not that soft.He can hit if he want but ''il va pas se laisser faire''.I am saying that he don't afraid of body sometimes he's losing one vs one battle but he's still effective.Did you saw Ribs when the game was getting physical ? :lol
I think Ribs was injured (or just very tired). He was at the end of an entire full season for the first time of his hockey player time. His body wasn't following when the opposite teams were playing in a higher gear (playoffs time).

thegreatone, you seems to overrate Sundstrom and I respect your opinion. In my own view, I'm not a great believer of Sundstrom. He's like vanilla flavor. There is nothing wrong in any aspects of his game for him but nothing that pans out also. Even playing at the third line, I don't remember in recent Stanley Cup teams a player that looks like Sundstrom. Avs, Red Wings, Devils, Stars and Bolts had better players playing at this position. They were not just vanilla flavor, they had some caramel or strawberry mixed with the plain white ice cream.

For a short term, he will be okay I do agree with that. But I think that with all the interresting rookies we have, we'll be able to built a Cup contender team ready in 2 or 3 years from now and defenitivly Sundstrom will not be a part of that team.

Old
08-03-2004, 12:49 PM
sundaystar

Quote:
i guess they DON't ban the word dick lol!

i didn't realize it was a word that was banned. Sorry if it is i won't do it again

Old
08-03-2004, 02:48 PM
Ace2000

Quote:
i didn't realize it was a word that was banned. Sorry if it is i won't do it again

thats what i'm saying. i THOUGHT it was banned but wrote it like 3 times and the word wasn't being bleeped. oh well

Old
08-03-2004, 04:06 PM
CH Wizard

Send a message via MSN to CH Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by HABitude
I think Ribs was injured (or just very tired). He was at the end of an entire full season for the first time of his hockey player time. His body wasn't following when the opposite teams were playing in a higher gear (playoffs time).

thegreatone, you seems to overrate Sundstrom and I respect your opinion. In my own view, I'm not a great believer of Sundstrom. He's like vanilla flavor. There is nothing wrong in any aspects of his game for him but nothing that pans out also. Even playing at the third line, I don't remember in recent Stanley Cup teams a player that looks like Sundstrom. Avs, Red Wings, Devils, Stars and Bolts had better players playing at this position. They were not just vanilla flavor, they had some caramel or strawberry mixed with the plain white ice cream.

For a short term, he will be okay I do agree with that. But I think that with all the interresting rookies we have, we'll be able to built a Cup contender team ready in 2 or 3 years from now and defenitivly Sundstrom will not be a part of that team.
I agree with you.I ain't not overrating him , I am just saying that he's a ok player.This guy won't in our plans in like two years or three years.He's getting old.You're right some rookies can do a better job then him ex:Higgins,Hossa,Pleks,Perez etc...
But I still think his offensive abilites are underrated.He was picked so early in the draft because he was considered a great offensive player.Now he's a checking forward.He's not a exciting player and he's soft.B.g sign him maybe because he think that some rookies aren't ready yet and that he can still do a great job.I aren't high on him too btu We have to admit that he's better then Dackell.Juneau didnt help his production either.

We'll just see what he can do with Bonk next year.If there are some hockey next year.If I was B.G I will better use rookies like Higgs ,Hossa and etc.We can become contender with Bonk now and with some solid prospects.We have to give some icetime or some rooms to our prospects now.

I am sure you noticed too that We have too much ready prospects and We haven't many open spots.

tgo

Last edited by CH Wizard: 08-03-2004 at 04:10 PM.
Old
08-03-2004, 07:46 PM
lilpouchon6969

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazbot
i just had a really stupid idea

now that Kostsitsyn has had the English spelling of his name changed, a first line of Kostsitsyn, Koivu and Kovalev wouldn't just be the K. line, it would be the K.O. line - as in KNOCKOUT (lame, i know)
yeah !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! a very good scoring line !!!

Old
08-04-2004, 04:53 AM
Traitor8

Kostitsyn-Koivu-Kovalev
Komisarek-Korneev or MarKOv or Korpikari

As for the thread itself,

I see one of the two:

Hossa-Ribeiro-Ryder
or
Bulis-Bonk-Hossa which I think could work very nice, size , skill , skating, not afraid to work in the corners.

Guys, look at what I wrote over my avatar..it's been there for quite a while now..since the end of the season I believe..now we need to sign Kovalev!

Old
08-05-2004, 02:03 PM
J-D

Quote:
i know i just foundit funny that the mods don't ban the word zeddick but they ban the word dick lol!
Apparently we don't. Imagine your diminutive being censored just because it's also describing a... well, something we all know what it is, just because your name is Richard... therefore, banning the word dick would be very discriminatory against all the Richards here at hfboards.com.

Old
08-05-2004, 05:24 PM
Mathieu Lavergne
AKA Saku K.

Send a message via ICQ to Mathieu Lavergne
Sundstrom is IMO a more talented player than Bulis no question about it. Bulis has more speed & strenght, will crash the net, doesn't play a soft game and can create chances for himself which makes him a better asset than Sundstrom. Sundstrom plays a peripheral offensive game with above-average playmaking skills. Sundstrom is a complementary player, he is very smart defensively and has above-average anticipation combined with good skating skills makes him an ideal linemate for strong forechecking forwards who possesses decent offensive skills.

One big mistake in a playoff serie isn't the way to evaluate a player. Weird how Gainey was interested in Sundstrom while here, he is considered garbage who blocks the road for the mighty prospects. Sundstrom played with Juneau and Dackell, two players at the end of the road who plays a similar game to Sunny and couldn't produce to safe their own life. Players like Begin and Ward aren't there for their offensive production either. Meanwhile, Bulis got several shot at the top-2 line, had some power play time and ended his season with 30 points. Both Bulis and Sundstrom struggled last season, Bulis is the hard-working type, more dependable and ends up being more forgivable than Sundstrom, I guess.

Sunny played with more drive alongside Begin and looked better offensively when paired up with Koivu, use Sundstrom with players who can complete his game and talent and you will end up with a more effective player well worth his salary.

Hard to believe some people thinks the mighty prospects are already better than Bulis and Sundstrom. Hossa, a player who had 1 goal and 1 assist in his last stint with the Habs and got outplayed by several AHLer on his own team, is more effective than a player like Bulis? Gimme a break, making the transition AHL-NHL isn't a walk in the park, Hossa & Hainsey already proved it. There isn't a lot of players who can perform like Ryder did without never putting a skate on NHL ice.

Since people learned that Hossa can't be sent down to the AHL without passing through the waivers, he seems invincible and better than what he shown us so far and should play on the top-3 line even if he has a brutal training camp. I'm not saying I would put him on the waivers if he was struggling at training camp but like Hainsey, Hossa will have to earn his ice time. If he fails to impress, I wouldn't put him in a spot he doesn't deserve.

Players like Bulis are a dime a dozen and have more value to their team than on the trade market, he is certainly not the second coming of Lehtinen that's for sure.

Last edited by Mathieu Lavergne: 08-05-2004 at 06:06 PM.
Old
08-05-2004, 06:39 PM
Marchy79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saku K.
Sundstrom is IMO a more talented player than Bulis no question about it. Bulis has more speed & strenght, will crash the net, doesn't play a soft game and can create chances for himself which makes him a better asset than Sundstrom. Sundstrom plays a peripheral offensive game with above-average playmaking skills. Sundstrom is a complementary player, he is very smart defensively and has above-average anticipation combined with good skating skills makes him an ideal linemate for strong forechecking forwards who possesses decent offensive skills.

One big mistake in a playoff serie isn't the way to evaluate a player. Weird how Gainey was interested in Sundstrom while here, he is considered garbage who blocks the road for the mighty prospects. Sundstrom played with Juneau and Dackell, two players at the end of the road who plays a similar game to Sunny and couldn't produce to safe their own life. Players like Begin and Ward aren't there for their offensive production either. Meanwhile, Bulis got several shot at the top-2 line, had some power play time and ended his season with 30 points. Both Bulis and Sundstrom struggled last season, Bulis is the hard-working type, more dependable and ends up being more forgivable than Sundstrom, I guess.

Sunny played with more drive alongside Begin and looked better offensively when paired up with Koivu, use Sundstrom with players who can complete his game and talent and you will end up with a more effective player well worth his salary.

Hard to believe some people thinks the mighty prospects are already better than Bulis and Sundstrom. Hossa, a player who had 1 goal and 1 assist in his last stint with the Habs and got outplayed by several AHLer on his own team, is more effective than a player like Bulis? Gimme a break, making the transition AHL-NHL isn't a walk in the park, Hossa & Hainsey already proved it. There isn't a lot of players who can perform like Ryder did without never putting a skate on NHL ice.

Since people learned that Hossa can't be sent down to the AHL without passing through the waivers, he seems invincible and better than what he shown us so far and should play on the top-3 line even if he has a brutal training camp. I'm not saying I would put him on the waivers if he was struggling at training camp but like Hainsey, Hossa will have to earn his ice time. If he fails to impress, I wouldn't put him in a spot he doesn't deserve.

Players like Bulis are a dime a dozen and have more value to their team than on the trade market, he is certainly not the second coming of Lehtinen that's for sure.

I gotta disagree here with ya

Bulis may seem like a 'dime a dozen' player by accounts of statistics... But he is a very useful player who, like Bonk is very useful in most aspects of the game. He is a responsible player who does not take a night off. He may have an off night, but he is always working hard and forechecking like mad, plus he plays the cycle extremely well (this leads to success in Montreal, as this is their offensive drive) and next year, I expect he'll be a major piece of our PK unit. Now this being said, he probably won't put up a 30 goal season in a defensive setting, but I think he'll rebound next year and will have a better season next year than he has had this past season. If there were a word for a player like Bulis, it would be an honest player. He never bull ----'s his way around the ice, as some players in recent memory have (i.e. Kilger, Dackell, and Juneau (due to his bad back)). If he works hard this offseason, I feel he would be a solid addition to the 2nd line, perhaps even posting up new career highs, as he does have the skills, and the intensity to do so.

As for your feelings on Marcel Hossa, I can understand them (he had a horrible start to last season first in Montreal, then in Hamilton) where he could not find the back of a net to save his life. He got back on track 1/2 way through the season, and salvaged it from the gutters. That being said his time is obviously now, as he has made tremors in Montreal for the past 2 seasons. He is also a very serious, hard working kid who wants to succeed (which is why I like him) at this level. Putting him on the fourth line does not give him an honest chance to make an impact on this team, and furthermore, Bonk is familiar with Hossa's brother so it is fair to say that there is quite a possibility that he may make Marcel's game jump to the next level. Marcel trains very hard in the off-season with Marian, and both players now know exactly what Montreal expects out of young Hossa (there was a bit of confusion at the beginning of the season with the Hossa family and Montreal in regards to how Marcel approaches the game, he trained as a center last off-season and it did not help him make the grade). Furthermore, Hossa's struggle last season could be considered the lamb before the lion. Many prospects struggle through a season before they can jump to the next level... It could be a bad thing, but IMO it's good that Hossa struggled throughout last year. He now must know exactly what it takes to stay at the top level of hockey, and what it takes to stick around. As for prospects who have outplayed him last year, there aren't very many of them. Plekanec can say he did, but he'll take a longer ride to the NHL, due to our lack of size, and his. Gratton's history, Perezhogin is suspended for an entire season (and subsequently, there are talks he will return to Russia for the next season), and it could be debated that Higgins had a hard time dealing with a full schedule (he was looking very tired at the end of last year).

I think training camp will come around, and Hossa will be a better player than before when it arrives, Plus it being his first year that he MUST be protected on waiver wires will definately play in his favour when they hit the ice next season. Will it guarantee him a spot? not necessarily, but at the same time, his value is at a low point, and there is no reason why he won't get a chance next year to prove he is an NHL player.

Old
08-06-2004, 07:36 AM
Stefan_Latulippe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost # 1

Bulis may seem like a 'dime a dozen' player by accounts of statistics... But he is a very useful player who, like Bonk is very useful in most aspects of the game. He is a responsible player who does not take a night off. He may have an off night, but he is always working hard and forechecking like mad, plus he plays the cycle extremely well (this leads to success in Montreal, as this is their offensive drive) and next year, I expect he'll be a major piece of our PK unit. Now this being said, he probably won't put up a 30 goal season in a defensive setting, but I think he'll rebound next year and will have a better season next year than he has had this past season. If there were a word for a player like Bulis, it would be an honest player. He never bull ----'s his way around the ice, as some players in recent memory have (i.e. Kilger, Dackell, and Juneau (due to his bad back)). If he works hard this offseason, I feel he would be a solid addition to the 2nd line, perhaps even posting up new career highs, as he does have the skills, and the intensity to do so.

I think the dude is right and players that can dump the puck, hit a d-men once in a while, missed the net 6-7 times a night are a dime in a dozen in the NHL. Even Bégin and Ward can do that.

Closed Thread