HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

I Hate Stupid Adult League Refs

Old
06-12-2008, 10:05 AM
CuriousGeorge

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thomas J. View Post
I've had quite a few refs call games that are just horrible, my all time fav though was the Guy who would smoke while the game was going on, & he barly moved around & hung around the bench area most of the games so you're sucking area & getting a lung full of second hand smoke, & if you asked him to stop or God forbid complained it was all over, every call was not going our way.
That is just brutal.

CuriousGeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2008, 12:53 PM
deanosaur

Quote:
I've had quite a few refs call games that are just horrible, my all time fav though was the Guy who would smoke while the game was going on, & he barly moved around & hung around the bench area most of the games so you're sucking area & getting a lung full of second hand smoke, & if you asked him to stop or God forbid complained it was all over, every call was not going our way.
Hahaha thats ****in great

deanosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2008, 03:32 AM
Stripes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delorme View Post
You're right if we're talking about the reffing in amateur leagues. But in rec leagues, pushing a player with a stick is usually still allowed within reason.
Rec hockey IS amateur.

As for the referee smoking on the ice, he's not a referee. I understand that most rec leagues are not sanctioned and essentially make their own rules, but how does any league allow that to happen? As an official, I wouldn't work with him as a partner.

Stripes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2008, 09:25 AM
We'reGonnaWin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripes View Post
Rec hockey IS amateur.

As for the referee smoking on the ice, he's not a referee. I understand that most rec leagues are not sanctioned and essentially make their own rules, but how does any league allow that to happen? As an official, I wouldn't work with him as a partner.
I wasn't clear. I meant amateur as in competitive bantam, midget and junior.

We'reGonnaWin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2008, 12:52 PM
RandV
It's a wolf v2.0

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripes View Post
As long as you have the motion with both hands on your stick, it is cross-checking. It doesn't have to be an actual strike IE: bat hitting ball. Also, under Hockey Canada's new standard (going into the 3rd season of it), all stick fouls in front of the net are to be penalized with strict enforcement.
Yeah, I guess it all depends on how the refs are calling it, but while in my leagues beginner intake program we were shown an effective, clean and legal way to clear the front of the net. Rather than pushing on the lower back you go for the pants, lift and push. We had the smallest girl of the group easily move the biggest guy out of the way like this. But now that we're actually playing games I never see anyone use this method, and of course if you're a big guy it's going to be hard to do.

RandV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2008, 12:44 PM
Mxpunk

My only advice is to mention the problems to management. You have to remember that you are a paying customer, and if there are other rinks around, management may make some changes.

However, only do this if the officiating is consistently biased. If it's just one bad game, let it go, as everyone, includings refs, has bad days.

Mxpunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2009, 10:48 PM
nullterm

vCash: 800
Usually the reffing is okay, but today the two guys must have had the cat relieve themselves in their skate bags. It was a steady stream to the box the whole game.

One guy was going on a non-call and got an extra 4 minutes for closing the penalty box door "too loudly." I've heard normal changes louder than that. That was his 3rd so he got the game.

The guy I was subbing for was 4 feet from the bench coming in. The whistle blows to stop play. I step onto the ice. Then the ref does a 180 with this look on his face like he had his mind made up before anything and hits us with a too many men. Even though the play had already been whistled dead. Everyone just had a befuddled look on their face.

We still won, but one of those games where you are playing the refs as much as the other team.

Good times.

nullterm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2009, 11:15 PM
Sportacus
:)

I once got a boarding penalty while I was on the bench.

Sportacus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2009, 12:14 AM
DevsFan84

My favorite was when I had my stick (and almost my blocker) slashed out of my hand, and not only was the other team not given a penalty, they were awarded a goal because "I threw the stick"

I wish I was kidding.

DevsFan84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2009, 01:03 AM
AHF

Send a message via MSN to AHF
Quote:
Originally Posted by nullterm View Post
One guy was going on a non-call and got an extra 4 minutes for closing the penalty box door "too loudly."
Earlier this year, two of our guys got double-minors at the same time for, and I quote, "being ******* stupid."

AHF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2009, 09:20 AM
Brunomics

last night in my game we were up 4-3 in the last 30 seconds and I got roasted on D so I decided to hook his foot and pull it right out. Didn't try to hide it or anything, obvious call and the ref doesn't call the penalty or anything. I love that I got away with it but still that was a pretty horrendous non call by the official.

Brunomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2009, 09:46 AM
87vert

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=593524

Maybe you should just fight the ref's? That'll teach em.

87vert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2009, 04:02 PM
Pittsburgh Proud

It's Adult Leauge.

/thread

Pittsburgh Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2009, 10:22 AM
Nikita Filatov*

Send a message via AIM to Nikita Filatov*
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShowmeHawks View Post
I agree to a point with the original poster. I don't care if the refs are biased one way or another. I do care if they aren't calling things that put the players in danger of injury.
100% agree. I had a game not too long ago where people were being hit from behind on both teams.... 2 people on my team actually were injured, though, nothing too serious. When thinkgs like that aren't called, that's what starts fights and injuries.

Nikita Filatov* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2009, 10:32 AM
raganblink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pittsburgh Proud View Post
It's Adult Leauge.

/thread
lol.

So true... Its full of a bunch of washed ups and never was in A/B, and noobs in C/D.

Sadly I am one of those never was. Good enough to make juniors, bad enough to miss majors, and way too bad to make a decent college team or pros. Ohwellz atleast I tried.

raganblink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2009, 11:13 AM
Marky9er

I hate it when they tell you that you can't line up way over on the other side of the ice when really your stoned and not really paying attention. They let Hossa do it.

Marky9er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2009, 04:17 PM
BogsDiamond
Anybody get 2 U yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeHateHe View Post
Oh look, a thread where someone *****es about refereeing. That's new.
LOL. And from someone who started a thread asking what level of hockey he can start fighting in.

I'm sure his team is full of angels who didn't deserve one call.

It's also very hard to take anyone's word on their perspective of a game when in one mere paragraph they managed to brag about themselves multiple times.
Not biased at all.

BogsDiamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2009, 04:19 PM
BogsDiamond
Anybody get 2 U yet?

Quote:
LOL! What province did this take place?
That story is great! One right out of Slap Shot!

BogsDiamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2009, 08:12 PM
Rickety Cricket

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87vert View Post
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=593524

Maybe you should just fight the ref's? That'll teach em.
In Fremont (about 30 min north east of SJ) a guy hip checked a player(in a non-contact league), in the process knocked out two teeth. The ref skated over to him and told him that he got a penalty and that since he was bleeding he needed to get off the ice. So the guy proceeds to spit blood in the refs face and punches him, the other ref skates over and he does the same thing. Yea, he got banned from all 3 Sharks ice facilities.

Rickety Cricket is offline   Reply With Quote