HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Dubielewicz Clamed By Columbus

Old
01-18-2009, 09:14 AM
cbjpointman
It begins here

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cptjeff View Post
I think Snow was thinking that Howson would be classy enough so that he wouldn't make this kind of dickwad move. And I would bet that if Snow is ever in a similar position he'll screw Howson over.

The GM angle of the game is all about relationships. You'll notice that a lot of GMs have other GMs that they like to deal with more then others. You build those relations hips with trades and moves that are beneficial to both teams.

Howson needs a backup. Okay, claim Stanford. But when a guy turns you down and signs with a team that has their AHL starter and backup both playing in the NHL due to injuries, you act like a decent human being and don't ruin your relationship with a guy you may need to deal with in the future.

The CBA provision needs to be modified so that the team signing the player automatically gets a claim in the waiver system.

By the way, I'm saying this as an outside fan and who doesn't give a **** about the isles one way or another. This was a classless move on Columbus's part.
Yes it is all about relationships, but Howson's primary responsibility (and his job depends on it) is for his team. He needed a backup goalie, LaCosta is not NHL ready, and Leclaire is hurt.

Howson wanted Dubie more than Sanford. Period. Why should the Isles get dibs on Dubie? This has been repeateded ad nauseum on this thread. Both teams rated Dubie over Sanford. It's the NHL, and each team should have equal opportunity to get the player they want. Labelling Howson as a dick just because he likes a guy that the Isles like too, and figured out how to get him just makes no sense..

Snow knew the game, and didn't get he job done. Period. He could have claimed Sanford as a 100% guaranteed move. Instead he tried to a risky finesse move to get Dubie, and it didn't work.

Relationships and gentlemen's agreements are great, but at the end of the day, Howson's obligation is to put best team on ice he can for CBJ.

cbjpointman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2009, 10:24 AM
Irish Blues

Quote:
Originally Posted by bones21212 View Post
maybe im just too ****ing stupid too understand this rule.......

wade comes back from russia, i understand he has to go through waivers, i do get that point. i claim him, and sign him. but now some other team says they want him. so now i cant have the guy? thats the part i dont understand. i claimed him, i signed him.....hes mine.
The signing of the player did not constitute a waiver claim; it required that the player be placed on waivers to give the other 29 teams a chance to claim the player.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bones21212 View Post
i guess its pretty safe to say that jagr will never be a penguin again eh?
Not this season. Next year? They could sign him on July 1 or October 1, and not have to worry about it.

Quote:
Howson needs a backup. Okay, claim Stanford.
It's been asked several times now, but apparently it needs to be asked again:

Snow needed a backup too. Why didn't he claim Sanford? His team was sitting in dead last, his claim would have taken precedence over everyone else - why not grab Sanford when it became apparent that MacDonald was injured?

As much as some would like to crucify Scott Howson here because he didn't go after a goalie that was available before Dubielewicz was, Garth Snow was in exactly the same boat - and he chose to pass as well.

Quote:
The CBA provision needs to be modified so that the team signing the player automatically gets a claim in the waiver system.
Do you mean "with regards to this particular situation" or do you mean "as applies to waivers in general?" Either way, it makes no sense as it leads to the possibility of being able to reclaim your player on waivers if someone else puts in a claim, you sit low enough in the standings, and you really don't want to lose the player.

Besides, if the spots in the standings were reversed and the Islanders were sitting in the middle of the pack while the Jackets were in dead last, they still would have claimed the guy - and then what? Do you want the claim of the team placing the player on waivers to take priority over all other claims? That's not going to happen except in some fantasy hockey league.

Irish Blues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2009, 10:35 AM
RE-HABS

I can't believe a borderline NHL goalie picked up on waivers has 15 pages of discussion!

Man we need the cap gone so we can have trades happening in the NHL again, or at least go the Burke suggestion in where you can trade cap money/space to a team. Because of the salaries and restrictions we have become like the other leagues in the NBA and NFL where trades are far and in between.

RE-HABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2009, 10:46 AM
GilliesGirlie

While C-Bus was playing by the rules when they claimed Dubie I just have one question.

According to some of the posts on here, the Jackets put an offer out to Dubie and he declined opting to sign with the Isles (the man needs his head examined..and I'm an Isles fan).I'm a little surprised that they would then claim the guy who turned down the offer to play for them. Luckily, Dubie is a stand up guy and will show up and do all that is asked of him by the Jackets. It easily could have become very messy with the potential of Dubie refusing to report or just being a total jerk once he reported.

As for those saying Snow was stupid, I disagree, he wanted Dubie and took a risk. Did it pan out? No, but it was a risk worth taking in my opinon. He also may have assumed since Dubie turned the Jackets down, they wouldn't even bother claiming him.

Either way, I don't think C-Bus did anything wrong....

Old
01-18-2009, 10:52 AM
hashmarks

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBatesSBergenheim View Post
While C-Bus was playing by the rules when they claimed Dubie I just have one question.

According to some of the posts on here, the Jackets put an offer out to Dubie and he declined opting to sign with the Isles (the man needs his head examined..and I'm an Isles fan).I'm a little surprised that they would then claim the guy who turned down the offer to play for them. Luckily, Dubie is a stand up guy and will show up and do all that is asked of him by the Jackets. It easily could have become very messy with the potential of Dubie refusing to report or just being a total jerk once he reported.

As for those saying Snow was stupid, I disagree, he wanted Dubie and took a risk. Did it pan out? No, but it was a risk worth taking in my opinon. He also may have assumed since Dubie turned the Jackets down, they wouldn't even bother claiming him.

Either way, I don't think C-Bus did anything wrong....
Where people think that Snow missed the boat was that apparently he knew (maybe too late, who knows) that the jackets were interested. What he could have done was just let the jackets sign him and then claimed him when he was on waivers.

I am sure Dubi signed there for the familiarity factor, but it doesn't mean he will be ticked to play for the jackets. The guy wants to be in the NHL and will do everything he can to showcase himself to hopefully get another contract next year.

From everything that I have heard is that he is a great guy, hardworking, really competitive and is very well liked. I don't think there will be an issue with his attitude.

hashmarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2009, 11:26 AM
Happy Pony

I haven't seen anyone else say this, but maybe Dubi preferred to play for the Jackets, since they have a shot at the playoffs and the islanders, obviously, don't. So he signs with the Islanders knowing that the Jackets will put in a claim. Sure seems possible to me.

Happy Pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2009, 11:33 AM
The Pucks

So from what I am reading here Islander fans feel slighted because their almost rookie GM didnt calculate his options correct and lost his player.

Why change the rules? They are their for a reason, and the Isles losing a borderline backup goalie is not a good enough reason to change things.

Vancouver needed a goalie in an emergency situation, they traded for Labarbera, Columbus felt they need one, they pick up Dubby, now the Islanders can do the same, trade for Sanford or somebody else?

The Pucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2009, 12:08 PM
GilliesGirlie

Quote:
Originally Posted by hashmarks View Post
Where people think that Snow missed the boat was that apparently he knew (maybe too late, who knows) that the jackets were interested. What he could have done was just let the jackets sign him and then claimed him when he was on waivers.

I am sure Dubi signed there for the familiarity factor, but it doesn't mean he will be ticked to play for the jackets. The guy wants to be in the NHL and will do everything he can to showcase himself to hopefully get another contract next year.

From everything that I have heard is that he is a great guy, hardworking, really competitive and is very well liked. I don't think there will be an issue with his attitude.
On the telecast of the game on the day Dubie was signed, they pointed out that he had to clear waivers first, they assumed he would. So, Snow knew this could happen, just didn't think it would. Let's face it I'm sure nobody expected him to be plucked from the wire, including Wade himself.

I also think you misunderstood me, never was I saying that Dubie would acutally refuse to play/report I was playing a bit of Devils Advocate. Wade is one of the best guys you will ever come across in hockey. He's all class, you guys have a great person on your team now, I wish him the best.

I also think what the Jackets did was fine, although I did question why they would claim a guy that turned (as rumoured..spelling? doesn't look right) turned down a contract offer, but in the end it's really not a big deal. As he wouldn't have made that much of an impact with the Islanders, he just would have brought back that warm fuzzy feeling from his miracle run a few seasons ago. Which would have been nice in this horrendous season.

GilliesGirlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2009, 12:26 PM
hgo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Blues View Post
Snow needed a backup too. Why didn't he claim Sanford? His team was sitting in dead last, his claim would have taken precedence over everyone else - why not grab Sanford when it became apparent that MacDonald was injured?

As much as some would like to crucify Scott Howson here because he didn't go after a goalie that was available before Dubielewicz was, Garth Snow was in exactly the same boat - and he chose to pass as well.
I presume this happened because Dubielewicz was the Islanders' first choice. MacDonald's status may have also been unclear when Sanford was available, which didn't help matters. MacDonald was injured on the 13th.

But your point is valid. Isles took a gamble and lost, big-time.

hgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2009, 12:40 PM
Randall Ritchey
HockeyBuzz Blues

Hey Islander fans, Manny Legace is available if you'd like!

Randall Ritchey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2009, 01:51 PM
hashmarks

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBatesSBergenheim View Post
I also think what the Jackets did was fine, although I did question why they would claim a guy that turned (as rumoured..spelling? doesn't look right) turned down a contract offer, but in the end it's really not a big deal. As he wouldn't have made that much of an impact with the Islanders, he just would have brought back that warm fuzzy feeling from his miracle run a few seasons ago. Which would have been nice in this horrendous season.
A couple of things could have happened there. The jackets could have been a 1/2 step behind in getting the call into him, or he chose the Islanders based on the familiarity factor and/or, like you said, trying to rekindle that feeling. In the end, I think too much (not by you) has been made about the whole 'turning down the offer' thing and notions of him going to 'tank'. That wouldn't do him any good (and I know you know this, just sayin') for obtaining a contract in the future.

I am sure he was rather surprised and somewhat disappointed, but I think he will be happy to help in any way he can in Columbus. I am looking forward to getting an up close look. It wouldn't surprise me if he got a start on this road trip.

hashmarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2009, 02:40 PM
None Shall Pass
Cory Stops All

Why didn't Snow claim Sanford?
Because
1. They were probably negotiating/talking to Dubie.
2. IMHO, Dubie>Sanford. Remember that Sanford played behind a Canuck team that, though also battered, is MUCH stronger defensively than the Isles and STILL managed to get waived for LaBarbera. CBJ could have claimed him too, my Devils could have claimed him over Weekes/Clemmer, anybody could have...but he's not that good.

None Shall Pass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2009, 03:24 PM
GilliesGirlie

Quote:
Originally Posted by None Shall Pass View Post
Why didn't Snow claim Sanford?
Because
1. They were probably negotiating/talking to Dubie.
2. IMHO, Dubie>Sanford. Remember that Sanford played behind a Canuck team that, though also battered, is MUCH stronger defensively than the Isles and STILL managed to get waived for LaBarbera. CBJ could have claimed him too, my Devils could have claimed him over Weekes/Clemmer, anybody could have...but he's not that good.
I think my memory needs to refreshed, was Joey MacDonald hurt when Sanford was on waivers? The only reason for another goaltender being brought in was because MacDonald went down with an injury. Again, I don't remember the timeline but the Isles could have passed on Sanford because they didn't need him at the time.

GilliesGirlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2009, 09:58 PM
Zubrus Coffee Maker
Blinded by my Zubrus

wow that is harsh, colombus is a bully

Zubrus Coffee Maker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2009, 10:10 PM
Lunatik*

Quote:
Originally Posted by sketchykg View Post
He's now married to a woman from Connecticut. His wife is pregnant and they also have a 2 year old son.
oh ok, congrats to him then... but lets be fair here the guy was willing to play in Russia this year... Columbus should be nothing

Lunatik* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2009, 11:24 PM
sTaMk0S

This is as funny as when in the NBA Memphis signed Darius Miles for 10 days and Portland had to pay for his contract for the rest of the season.

sTaMk0S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2009, 11:50 PM
Palinka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madden Is Underrated View Post
wow that is harsh, colombus is a bully
I ask again....who the **** is "Colombus"?

Palinka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2009, 01:16 AM
cohenzee

From what I read in Newsday, Snow had spoken to Howson at least a week ago and knew he was interested in Dubie. Why he still took the chance to sign Dubie over claiming Sanford, I am not 100% sure. If I had to guess, it was probably to create some good buzz on Long Island since the fans like Dubie a lot. Lord knows this team could use some good press this season.

cohenzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2009, 01:22 AM
boredmale

As an Islanders fan I have no problem with what Columbus did as long as they didn't do it out of spite, if they felt he would help Columbus weither it be short or long term, more power to them. Great for Dubie to get another chance in the NHL. As for the Islander Goaltending situation, considering where we are positioned in the NHL at the moment I wouldn't waste a 7th round draft pick trying to get a goalie, just go out and try find another cheap guy to sign/pick up on waivers.

I don't see why people are making a fuss about the situation, heaven forbid we pick up a guy who will lose us 1 or 2 more games then Dubie.

boredmale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2009, 10:40 AM
dybbuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimus Moo View Post
Just to add my two cents to your post, that's where the NYI screwed up. One way or another, they knew he could end up in Columbus. So if Columbus offered, you have Dubie say yes and then he goes to the NYI. Otherwise, why waste your time?

As I previously stated, I don't fault Dubie on that, per se, but I think all the way around the NYI dropped the ball on this one, and for people to blame the CBJ? Well, when you point one finger at someone, three are pointing right back at you...
When somebody turns down your offer and signs somewhere's else because he thinks it's a better opportunity, then you claim off waivers. Do you think the guy is going to be excited about what you did? Do you think it impresses his agent? And if you were the Isles you'd really ask Dubi to negotiate in bad-faith in an attempt to have CBJ sign him so you could claim him off waivers?

dybbuk is offline   Reply With Quote