HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Nash to Davos!!!

Closed Thread

Old
08-03-2004, 11:28 AM
Douggy

vCash: 500
Nash to Davos!!!

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=93456

Gee, I wonder who is going to win the spengler cup this year???

Old
08-03-2004, 11:59 AM
ZombieMatt

Thorton on the same line with Rick Nash coul dbe absolutely devastating in ANY league, furthermore a league that isn't typically as physical as the NHL.

Old
08-03-2004, 12:13 PM
Birko19

Yes, but let's not forget that in Europe the ice rinks are bigger, meaning you need to have decent speed and skating skills, from what I've seen Nash is not exactly that fast and he's not a great skater either, so don't be surprised that he'll just do ok there rather then dominate, his game is NHL material, not European material.

Having said that I think this is a great move for Nash for 2 simple reasons, first reason is he'll keep himself in shape by playing which is the case with any other player, the second reason is this will help his skating skills since he'll have to improve by playing on a bigger rink, I mean just imagine how amazing Nash could be in the NHL if he was a good skater and had speed, WOW.

Old
08-03-2004, 01:06 PM
Strizzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt MacInnis
Thorton on the same line with Rick Nash coul dbe absolutely devastating in ANY league, furthermore a league that isn't typically as physical as the NHL.
I'm hoping that our Swiss players will profit from these great NA players coming over for a season. It won't hurt to make the league a bit more competitive.

On a side note, he certainly chose a very nice location to spend the winter!

Old
08-03-2004, 03:42 PM
arrbez
bad chi

Send a message via MSN to arrbez
Quote:
Originally Posted by Birko19
Yes, but let's not forget that in Europe the ice rinks are bigger, meaning you need to have decent speed and skating skills, from what I've seen Nash is not exactly that fast and he's not a great skater either,
didn't nash beat alfredsson in the skills competition for the one-on-one pilon skating thingy? nash is deceptively fast in my oppinion, and apparently he corners pretty well. i think people just assume he's slow because he gets all his goals from in front of the net. he just looks awkward and slow because he's kinda hunched over and takes really big strides

Old
08-03-2004, 04:06 PM
Vlad The Impaler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birko19
Yes, but let's not forget that in Europe the ice rinks are bigger, meaning you need to have decent speed and skating skills, from what I've seen Nash is not exactly that fast and he's not a great skater either, so don't be surprised that he'll just do ok there rather then dominate, his game is NHL material, not European material.

Having said that I think this is a great move for Nash for 2 simple reasons, first reason is he'll keep himself in shape by playing which is the case with any other player, the second reason is this will help his skating skills since he'll have to improve by playing on a bigger rink, I mean just imagine how amazing Nash could be in the NHL if he was a good skater and had speed, WOW.
I agree with the poster who says his skating is ugly but not that bad. However, you raise a good point. This is a great opportunity for him. Isn't the schedule lighter too? If that's the case, he can even hire himself a skating coach during the season. That's what I'd do if I was him because he definitly has everything it takes to one day be one of the best forwards in this league.

Old
08-03-2004, 04:19 PM
Mikos87

See the problem is that they signed with Davos. An organization that pays their players great, beautiful city, great place to raise your family, and you get payed well. If you will notice, the players drafted out of Davos in the Swiss league have a hard time wanting to stay in NA. Thats why scouts say its a risk drafting out of the Swiss league (one of the reasons).

Old
08-03-2004, 04:22 PM
DJ Spinoza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad The Impaler
I agree with the poster who says his skating is ugly but not that bad. However, you raise a good point. This is a great opportunity for him. Isn't the schedule lighter too? If that's the case, he can even hire himself a skating coach during the season. That's what I'd do if I was him because he definitly has everything it takes to one day be one of the best forwards in this league.
I think the season is about 50 games.

Old
08-03-2004, 04:25 PM
Vlad The Impaler

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKnowNothing
I think the season is about 50 games.
Thanks. That's more than I thought! Still possible to hire a personnal coach, IMO.

Old
08-03-2004, 04:29 PM
DJ Spinoza

It might be a little less than that, I'm not 100% sure. I've been following Pens prospect Patrik Bartschi's, who plays for Kloten, career, and he played 44 games in 02/03, so it's around there. I'm not sure if he was injured or not that year. Last season he only played 36 games, but was out for a little while with an injury.

If I was an NHL player, I think I would seriously consider signing with a Swiss team. Sounds like it would be a good fit.

Anyways, it'll be interesting to see what becomes of Davos and other European teams with NHL players in other leagues next year. Too bad we probably won't get to see any games in the US!

Old
08-04-2004, 02:19 AM
Strizzi

Actually, it's 48 games plus 2 rounds of best-of-7 and 1 round of best-of-5 playoffs. For Davos (which will certainly reach the PO) that makes between 52 and 67 games. But it starts earlier than in the NHL, and therefore the schedule is not quite as tight.

Old
08-05-2004, 02:46 PM
pihinalle

Niklas Hagman has also signed with Davos.

Old
08-05-2004, 03:41 PM
Epoch

Wow! It would be quite interesting to watch this team play!

Old
08-05-2004, 03:55 PM
stv11
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strizzi
Actually, it's 48 games plus 2 rounds of best-of-7 and 1 round of best-of-5 playoffs.
Next season it's going to be 44 games and 3 best-of-7 rounds. Last season was an exception.

Old
08-05-2004, 04:09 PM
Mike#16*

here is the link to the hp of Davos

http://www.hcd.ch/index.cfm?cat=home

unfortunately its in german :-(

Old
08-05-2004, 07:14 PM
bert

Nash is deceptively fast he did beat Alfredsson in the pilons. I think Thornton and Nash will be devistating in this league.

Old
08-06-2004, 10:59 AM
FearTheFlyers

In the Word of Tim McCalleff " If you have money on HC Davos to win the Swiss league, you are praying for an NHL lockout

Closed Thread