HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade: Garon for Sabu,Stone,4th in 2011

Old
01-19-2009, 07:43 PM
Jag68Sid87

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrosbyMalkin View Post
Overall Shero has done a nice job. It will be interesting to see what he can do before the trade deadline passes this season. I hope we keep the young core of Crosby, Malkin, Staal, Fleury, Whitney, Letang, Goligoski, and Orpik. Anyone else could be traded and it would not bother me in the slightest.
It is going to take a major Houdini act to come up with a scoring winger upgrade without dealing one of those players. The best remaining assets we have are Gonchar (NTC), our first round picks in 2009 and 2010 (bad idea to deal either at this point) and Caputi (the worst idea of all).

I would rather deal one of Whitney, Goligoski or even Letang before touching Staal, Orpik, the two superstars obviously, a first rounder or Caputi. And Sarge isn't likely to be going anywhere and quite frankly (as you mentioned) we need him badly.

A package of Satan, Eaton, a 2nd rounder and Sneep is not likely to get us what we need. I wouldn't be crazy about trading away a second rounder this year but if we could lose Eaton's salary for next season and Satan's right now we'd be crazy not to explore this. I agree that it's a dream scenario but it's not likely to happen.

Jag68Sid87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2009, 07:45 PM
Jag68Sid87

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChitownExile View Post
I can understand the HF logic that a pick > than an established player in this year's draft. I don't agree with it to the degree that some people preach it, but I can see the logic in it.

I cannot understand the logic that, because the pick occurs in a draft THREE YEARS from now, it's a bad trade. I mean, there's three years to acquire picks for that draft to replace that one. Who even knows where we'd be drafting then, or who'd be available, or what this team's needs would be?

I swear, if this site existed in 1984, some part of this site would find a way to complain about drafting Lemieux .
I can't speak for everybody, but in my case the only issue I have with this deal is the virtually non-existent cap space we now have. Value-wise, it's an excellent deal but I question whether or not this was necessary because of our more pressing needs. I mean, the impact Garon will have on this team will be sitting on a stool.

Old
01-19-2009, 07:58 PM
moonknight31

i think garon brings more veteran leadership and a more consistent backup thats about it. now we didnt give up that much so i dont really mind that he will have very little impact but still

moonknight31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2009, 07:59 PM
moonknight31

so do u think he will get the start on the 2nd leg of our back to back against the devils and maple leafs or before then?

moonknight31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2009, 11:59 PM
AquaticBirdman
Gladams FTW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Sid87 View Post
I can't speak for everybody, but in my case the only issue I have with this deal is the virtually non-existent cap space we now have. Value-wise, it's an excellent deal but I question whether or not this was necessary because of our more pressing needs. I mean, the impact Garon will have on this team will be sitting on a stool.
Hence why I expect Shero to deal more players (like Gill perhaps) in order to open up some of that much needed cap room. Guess we'll just have to wait and see what he has up his sleeves.

AquaticBirdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2009, 05:48 AM
infinitesadd

I think you'll see Eaton and Satan dealt (although if Satan continues his decent play on the third line, he may stay). Fedotenko will most certainly stay, as will Gill, the PK is noticably worse without Gill, imo.

infinitesadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2009, 08:16 AM
Gooch

Quote:
That is pretty much exactly what I was getting at, or at least trying to.

Gooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2009, 12:28 PM
tocchet92

Newly-acquired goaltender Dany Sabourin was placed on waivers today. - TSN

tocchet92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2009, 12:29 PM
SCUDeriMISSILE
We traded Staal

Quote:
Originally Posted by tocchet22 View Post
Islanders?

SCUDeriMISSILE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2009, 12:29 PM
Uncle Jorgi

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCUDeriMISSILE View Post
Islanders?
Couldn't hurt.

Uncle Jorgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2009, 12:32 PM
tocchet92

Quote:
Islanders?
I hope so. Kinda feel bad for him...

tocchet92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2009, 12:35 PM
Uncle Jorgi

Quote:
I hope so. Kinda feel bad for him...
He'd certainly have a chance to get some playing time. Kind of a good news/bad news scenario ...

Old
01-20-2009, 12:35 PM
SCUDeriMISSILE
We traded Staal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noob Talbot View Post
Couldn't hurt.
You know if they pick him up he's going to play well against us.

SCUDeriMISSILE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2009, 12:36 PM
Uncle Jorgi

Quote:
You know if they pick him up he's going to play well against us.
Great. We sign Satan to stop him from scoring on us, and now we're right back to square one!

Old
01-20-2009, 02:17 PM
HandshakeLine
is probso trolling u

Quote:
Wow.

So, essentially, the trade might end up being Garon for Stone, a pick in 2011 and the right to not pay Sabourin? This trade keeps looking better and better and yet, getting stranger and stranger.

Poor Sabs, though.

HandshakeLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2009, 02:30 PM
CrosbyMalkin

Quote:
It is going to take a major Houdini act to come up with a scoring winger upgrade without dealing one of those players. The best remaining assets we have are Gonchar (NTC), our first round picks in 2009 and 2010 (bad idea to deal either at this point) and Caputi (the worst idea of all).

I would rather deal one of Whitney, Goligoski or even Letang before touching Staal, Orpik, the two superstars obviously, a first rounder or Caputi. And Sarge isn't likely to be going anywhere and quite frankly (as you mentioned) we need him badly.

A package of Satan, Eaton, a 2nd rounder and Sneep is not likely to get us what we need. I wouldn't be crazy about trading away a second rounder this year but if we could lose Eaton's salary for next season and Satan's right now we'd be crazy not to explore this. I agree that it's a dream scenario but it's not likely to happen.
Stranger things have happened. I have seen many good older players traded for little over the years. Mullen was a steal for a 2nd round pick. He scored 30+ goals for several more seasons with us. When the Pens looked to shed salary we gave up Jagr and Kovy for crap. A team in a selling mode might take a decent prospect like Sneep, a 2nd round pick and a player like Dupuis, Eaton, Satan, Talbot, etc. for a salary dump. If Tampa wants to rid themselves of salary then a decent pick and prospect to go along with a player like one of those could get it done. Satan fills the spot for the rest of the season and then he is off the books or a good role player like Dupuis or Talbot.

I don't think that is that far fetched when you look at what we gave up for Hossa. EC and Armstrong are no better and in my opinion not as good as Dupuis and Talbot. It looks like a mid round 2nd compared to a low 1st and Sneep is as good a prospect as Espo in my opinion. I am not high on either player but I believe Sneep has a better chance of sticking in the NHL than Espo does. I think last year proved that teams are not going to give up their future for one playoff run. I bet the players traded that are going to be UFA's are not going to break the bank and certainly not a top tier type player or prospect like Whitney, Letang, Staal, Goligoski, etc. for them. St. Louis is interesting but with his age his play could decline fast and then you have a $5+ million player that is not producing. I would not mind taking a chance on him for a guy like Sneep, a 2nd, and a player like Dupuis but anything more and they can keep him, he is 33. I will argue Mullen was a better player when he was traded for a 2nd than St. Louis is now.

CrosbyMalkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2009, 02:46 PM
DockEllisExperience

Quote:
Wow, I honestly feel bad for the guy. Although after I reminded myself he gets paid in the mid six figures to play a game, my spirits immeadiately lifted...

Last edited by DockEllisExperience: 01-20-2009 at 03:03 PM.
DockEllisExperience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2009, 02:50 PM
PenguinGuru*

Quote:
wth???!!

weird.

PenguinGuru* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2009, 03:17 PM
Jag68Sid87

Since Saturday, it was being reported that Sabourin was told not to leave Pittsburgh by the Oilers. That he wasn't going to join them. They wanted to end their 3-headed goalie monster, so obviously the Oil were forced to take on Sabourin because otherwise we'd be over the cap.

I thought this news had hit everywhere, because the CBC was talking about it on Saturday and so was SportsNet.

Old
01-20-2009, 05:53 PM
kovy1335

Send a message via AIM to kovy1335
Quote:
Since Saturday, it was being reported that Sabourin was told not to leave Pittsburgh by the Oilers. That he wasn't going to join them. They wanted to end their 3-headed goalie monster, so obviously the Oil were forced to take on Sabourin because otherwise we'd be over the cap.

I thought this news had hit everywhere, because the CBC was talking about it on Saturday and so was SportsNet.
Ouch. I wonder if Sabourin still thinks he can be a starter somewhere...

kovy1335 is offline   Reply With Quote