Notices

Division changes in the future?

Old
01-19-2009, 03:40 PM
theheadmata

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to theheadmata
Division changes in the future?

So after reading rumors about a pending move of the Islanders to Kansas, it got me wondering what the divisions would look like if (big if) that happened?

Would the Stars be worked into a more centralized division than they are now? Something along the lines of the Avalanche, (?)Islanders(?), Blues, and Wild? If so, what happens to the Pacific? Or does a move to Kansas push a team out of the Central? Something like Nashville to the Southeast and Capitals to the Atlantic possibly?

Pure speculation at this point (probably not anymore valid than an Eklund rumor right now), just curious what everyone's thoughts are on the topic.

theheadmata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2009, 03:43 PM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

vCash: 1495
Honestly, I think Phoenix has more of a chance of moving than the Islanders do.

I just can't see the Islanders moving for some reason. That said, whatever gets the Stars out of the Pacific Division I am completely in favor of.

Don't mind the rivalries, just hate the travel for our team and the constant having to stay up till 9 just to watch a divisional game.

Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs - 1997 to 2011 - WPHL Champions 1998, 1999, 2000 - CHL Champions 2011
Stars99Lobo37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2009, 03:44 PM
Captain Awesome

Logically, I could see Detroit or Nashville being moved east or something, but it'd be weird seeing Detroit go east. Someone like Vancouver makes more sense in the Pacific, maybe we'd even move to the NW? Who knows.

Captain Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2009, 03:48 PM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

I doubt the East is going to allow the Wings to come there. Talk about dominance.

And there's no way the NHL splits up Calgary, Edmonton and Vancouver...no matter how logical it sounds. I don't even want to think of the fuss the Canadian fans would have.

Old
01-19-2009, 03:53 PM
theheadmata

Send a message via AIM to theheadmata
I mentioned a Capitals move because you know the NHL would drool over the thought of having the Penguins and the Capitals being division rivals.

Though, I don't know that putting the Predators in the Southeast would help that division much unless the Staals have 4 more NHL-ready sons stashed away somewhere.

theheadmata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2009, 03:57 PM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

Personally, I wouldn't mind having Dallas move to the Southeast if we were given a chance (going along with your WSH to Atlantic idea there).

Old
01-19-2009, 04:21 PM
Chad_

The only way the Stars move into the Central Division, or a similar division, is if a team moves further West of Denver.

In the proposed move to Kansas City, that would likely mean Detroit is moving the EC and the new KC Whatevers would just replace Detroit in the Central. That would be, in my view, bad news for the Stars. Instead, push them to Las Vegas.

Chad_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2009, 04:27 PM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

Las Vegas or Seattle. Whichever is fine with me.

Old
01-19-2009, 04:30 PM
Chad_

Or Portland or Salt Lake City. The point is that a team would have to be moved West of Denver for the league to think of moving the Stars to the Central, and that also hinges on the NHL finally taking Detroit's wishes into account and moving the team to the EC. It's the only way the Stars won't play in the Pacific Division, sans a movement to two or four divisions within each conference.

Chad_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2009, 04:34 PM
vofty

Quote:
Originally Posted by theheadmata View Post
I mentioned a Capitals move because you know the NHL would drool over the thought of having the Penguins and the Capitals being division rivals.

Though, I don't know that putting the Predators in the Southeast would help that division much unless the Staals have 4 more NHL-ready sons stashed away somewhere.
I think they have something equivalent to a puppy mill going with those Staals...one of them is going to come out with 5 arms then watch out! Would he get to play with 2 sticks at that point?

Wow...too much studying makes a girl loopy. Back on topic, yes traveling out West sucks, but anyway you do it whatever division the Stars are in will have more traveling than any other division frankly because there are no teams close. Closest teams would be Isles and Blues which would still be 2 states away. Anything that gets us out of the Pacific division I am in favor of though.

vofty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2009, 08:18 PM
piqued
Global Moderator
victory green?

vCash: 27750
Columbus is the #1 candidate to move East IMO.

I think the eventual outcome will be 2 divisions per conference. It just works so much more naturally. The first chink in the armor of the current format was the reduction from 8 to 6 divisional games.

Vancouver/Edmonton/Calgary/San Jose/Anaheim/LA/Phoenix/Colorado
Minny/Detroit/Chicago/St. Louis/Nashville/Dallas/KC(?)

If Vegas is the new city instead of KC just swap Colorado.

Toronto/Ottawa/Montreal/Boston/Buffalo/NYR/NJ
Pittsburgh/Philly/Columbus/Washington/Atlanta/Tampa/Florida/Carolina

piqued is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2009, 05:59 PM
Rune Forumwalker

Speaking teeams switching conferences, I've come to like the idea of moving Detroit and Columbus moving to the east and sending two teams like Florida and Atlanta (whoever really) out west to Seattle, Portland, Kansas City, or Las Vegas. This could put Dallas in more of a "central" division, while still keeping together most of the Northwest and Pacific divisions.

Rune Forumwalker is offline   Reply With Quote