HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Notices

FSOhio production is TERRIBLE! (All CBJ broadcast kvetching here)

Old
01-20-2009, 10:54 PM
Moo
Moooooooooooooooo!

vCash: 500
FSOhio production is TERRIBLE! (All CBJ broadcast kvetching here)

Look, I know live TV isn't easy. Mistakes happen. But when they happen way too often, that's cause for concern.

These are three key things I observe with FSOhio during CBJ games:
  • Feed pixelates and screws up and it's NOT the fault of the cable company
  • On-screen information (names, standings, etc.) butchered
  • Cutting away from scrums instead of showing them

There are more, and perhaps I may need to revisit the list and revise it as I am reminded of others, but these three things tick me off.

For an operation that should be first-rate, they can be so terrible on so many occasions. Why FSOhio doesn't take more pride in its production, I do not know, but something has to be done.

Moo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2009, 10:58 PM
DJAnimosity
buy ticket;take ride

Send a message via Yahoo to DJAnimosity
It's been like this since the beginning of time.

Some things are inexcusable - misspelling players names a la "Json Williams" two games in a row? Laughable.

Also, getting the standings right is not that hard. You don't need an abacus. They've screwed them up two games in a row.

Also, the shot chart has had the heading "Shots on Goals" for the ENTIRE SEASON. Annoying.

Throw in the unacceptably poor standard-def feed and the rotten broadcast duo and it really is a low-rent, grade Z production.

DJAnimosity is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2009, 10:58 PM
Rimers stache

I think it makes it more difficult on the visual producers when you have two bonehead anouncers. For example when they said Hemsky scored on the PP so they put up Hemsky's stats for the night and it wasn't even Hemsky who scored i think it was Grebeshkov but i cant remember.

Rimers stache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2009, 10:59 PM
Rimers stache

LOL i'd rather have ONN do the games

Rimers stache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2009, 11:00 PM
DJAnimosity
buy ticket;take ride

Send a message via Yahoo to DJAnimosity
Also, Rimer was shouting that the goal was a PP goal, and it came a good 5 seconds after the PP expired.

DJAnimosity is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2009, 11:14 PM
Whaley Klesla 97

I cant stand Rimer and Gare. they are awful. Id rather listen to whale mating calls during the game.

Whaley Klesla 97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2009, 11:56 PM
JKTS61

Don't forget Manny "Manhotra" earlier in the season!

JKTS61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2009, 11:58 PM
JKTS61

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJAnimosity View Post
Also, the shot chart has had the heading "Shots on Goals" for the ENTIRE SEASON. Annoying.
Well, there is one at each end of the ice.

JKTS61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2009, 01:09 AM
Handyy

Their poll results are hilarious.

YES: xxxxx 51%
NO: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx 49%

Handyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2009, 02:43 AM
Moo
Moooooooooooooooo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handyy View Post
Their poll results are hilarious.

YES: xxxxx 51%
NO: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx 49%
At least they fixed the polls. For a while they'd never add up to 100 percent.

Moo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2009, 07:28 AM
1857 Howitzer
******* Linesman

It is bad and this is not an excuse but it is bad all over. The BCS games on Fox were very bad, BTN football and basketball is laughable, and anything NBC sucks. The only network that seems to get it right most of the time is ABC/ESPN.

And lol at Jason Wilson scoring a goal for us last night.

1857 Howitzer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2009, 07:52 AM
Skraut

As somebody who used to work on production crews, let me tell you, it's a tough gig. Chances are we got Edmonton's Away Team Crew last night.

FSN-OH took probably the director, a producer, and maybe a technician. Everybody else from the Chyron op (do they still call it that, I'm not sure Chyron is still in business, anyway the guy/gal who puts the text on the screen) to the TD (the guy pushing the buttons) to the VTR guys (The guys Gare is yelling at when he says, Go ahead, stop here, now speed up, slow it down) to the Sound board operator, to the video engineer (the guy adjusting the cameras so they have all the same color balance) to the individual camera operators are all locals from Edmonton.

Having been on the Away Team Crew for Cleveland sports, it's tough because Every team that comes in has a different director, a different style. Every director calls shots differently, uses tapes differently. Directors get in rhythms, and if you work with a director long enough, you get a feeling for the shot he's going to call next. Away Team Crews don't have that advantage. The graphics packages are different for the Chyron-op, I'm sure that person has to deal with packages from FSN, Altitude, CBC, Rogers, VS, etc. Every package is different, the fonts are different, the placements of words are different.

It's live sports. There's no do-overs. Mistakes happen in every job, but with live TV you can't say "Cut, take it from the top" You just go on.

I'm not making excuses for the people who are doing it, I'm just explaining that there's more that goes on behind the scenes that people aren't aware of. If FSN paid to fly the entire crew out to every game, they couldn't afford to put any games on TV. We would have gotten the same people if the game was broadcast on Sportstime Ohio.

Bowl games on the other hand there's no excuses for. The networks bring in their "best" for the games, and the crew usually travels to all the big events. Some can be said for spreading your talent thinly to cover all the events on the same day, but generally the production team travels together and works together. NBC brings everybody, Fox brings most and uses local cameramen.

Skraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2009, 07:53 AM
BluejacketNut

The polls are just sad because theyre a 900 number lol. I always wonder how many people voted....how bout having an online poll instead of a 1-900 poll They dont show the number because probably only 10 people voted lol

BluejacketNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2009, 08:08 AM
forktie

This is more an aesthetic difference, not really a substantial one... but the teases at the start of the game since the new producer took over are crap.

They used to take time on them, give them more of an ESPN vibe with a story to tell with words and pictures and they were sync'd to music appropriately and you would get pumped for the game...

... now they take that godawful crap studio music, show some players, and have Jim Day talk over it. They don't even use Rimer on it anymore.

I know building the tease takes a decent chunk of time for the production crew.... seems like they are saving a lot of time with phoning it in anymore. Where is this time now being spent? Because i don't see any improvements anywhere else on the screen.

forktie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2009, 08:49 AM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

they're all we've got....

I know George and Bill are nice to listen to, but honestly, I'd rather watch the game than simply listen.

KeithBWhittington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2009, 09:47 AM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Since this has evolved into general sports production gripes, I'll mention one of mine:

Crowd "celebrating" shots!

All crowds cheering look exactly the same, so don't show me the crowd, I want to see the participants. I want to see the team congratulating the scorer, or the coaches shaking hands after a tough game, or the pitcher's face after a long bomb, or the QB greeting the wideout after a TD pass. Stick with what TV does best - get us up close to what we otherwise couldn't be a part of. I can look around and see the crowd cheer when I'm at the venue - show me the people that make it happen!

pete goegan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2009, 10:07 AM
forktie

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete goegan View Post
Since this has evolved into general sports production gripes, I'll mention one of mine:

Crowd "celebrating" shots!

All crowds cheering look exactly the same, so don't show me the crowd, I want to see the participants. I want to see the team congratulating the scorer, or the coaches shaking hands after a tough game, or the pitcher's face after a long bomb, or the QB greeting the wideout after a TD pass. Stick with what TV does best - get us up close to what we otherwise couldn't be a part of. I can look around and see the crowd cheer when I'm at the venue - show me the people that make it happen!
Neh... I need a little jubilant crowd in my sports television (assuming there is a crowd in the stands). A good dejected crowd shot of fans of a team who, oh i dunno, say... blew a lead and lost the game in the last 5 minutes... I want to see some crowd faces in that moment.

But I agree, capturing those sweet bench moments or post goal celebrations is always great stuff.

forktie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2009, 11:11 AM
CBJSprague24
"Scoreboard, son."

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1857 Howitzer View Post
It is bad and this is not an excuse but it is bad all over. The BCS games on Fox were very bad, BTN football and basketball is laughable, and anything NBC sucks. The only network that seems to get it right most of the time is ABC/ESPN.
Their NASCAR coverage leaves a lot to be desired.

CBJSprague24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2009, 11:13 AM
1857 Howitzer
******* Linesman

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSprague24 View Post
Their NASCAR coverage leaves a lot to be desired.
Were talking about sports coverage.

1857 Howitzer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2009, 11:44 AM
firethecannon

I hate when they show a shot of a player skating off the ice while the rest of the team is skating down the ice with the puck. SHOW ME THE D*&^ GAME!!

They usually miss the face offs while showing the same replay for the fifth time

Of course the previously mentioned not showing scrums. Its like FSOHIO has a policy to not show these.

firethecannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2009, 11:52 AM
Nordique

Quote:
Originally Posted by firethecannon View Post
I hate when they show a shot of a player skating off the ice while the rest of the team is skating down the ice with the puck. SHOW ME THE D*&^ GAME!!

They usually miss the face offs while showing the same replay for the fifth time

Of course the previously mentioned not showing scrums. Its like FSOHIO has a policy to not show these.
I'm sicking of missing 7 or 8 faceoffs a night too.

Nordique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2009, 12:01 PM
cbj43054

Send a message via AIM to cbj43054
I liked it earlier in the year when fsn was announcing that it was the 1st goal as a blue jacket but instead it said "1st goal as a blue jackson"

cbj43054 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2009, 12:01 PM
CBJSprague24
"Scoreboard, son."

And as I go to FSN Ohio because it's on my favorites list just now, oh for the love of Rimer.

"Blue Jackets Power Playback". Of ALL THE GAMES they could re-air the next day during the season...why do the one with the most disappointing finish of the year? I don't want to see that one again.

(Yes, I know the TV schedule was probably laid out a while ago.)

But I do give FSN Ohio credit, as they're re-airing a game. I've wished for a while that they'd do it (especially after seeing other FSNs do it with their games), but I've only seen it once or twice with the CBJ.

Quote:
Originally Posted by firethecannon View Post

I like FSN Ohio's coverage for the most part, but these are two things that have me screaming at my TV. Don't show me (player name) skating around, then heading to the bench. Stay with the game.

But the chippyness of the sound and image has to be something recent, because I don't remember losing the picture or having it go nuts on me earlier this year.

Last edited by CBJSprague24: 01-21-2009 at 12:10 PM.
Old
01-21-2009, 12:20 PM
Wolfy

I'd say this is whining. FSOhio is doing a pretty good job in my opinion. I also like Rimer and Gare.

I watched the Canadian feed from the Oilers game, Rogers Sportsnet or whatever. Terrible, commercial breaks every 2 minutes making me crazy

Wolfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2009, 01:12 PM
CBJSprague24
"Scoreboard, son."

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wolf View Post
I'd say this is whining. FSOhio is doing a pretty good job in my opinion. I also like Rimer and Gare.

I watched the Canadian feed from the Oilers game, Rogers Sportsnet or whatever. Terrible, commercial breaks every 2 minutes making me crazy
I'm with you. That's why I went back in my last post & pointed out that I hadn't noticed any problems with their feeds until recently. I've said before I like FSN & am glad they're carrying 75 games, as, combined with Versus and NBC, we're only not going to be able to see a couple games this year. I'd hate it if they carried 65 as they did the first few seasons.

I also like Rimer & Gare. They may be homers & go over the top sometimes, but they beat some announcers I've heard over the years, including some hockey guys.