HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Staal or Getzlaf?

View Poll Results: Getzlaf or Staal?
Ryan Getzlaf 186 87.74%
Eric Staal 26 12.26%
Voters: 212. You may not vote on this poll

Old
01-20-2009, 05:32 PM
GIN ANTONIC

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagrant View Post
It will be an interesting decision for sure, I was just underlining the fact that it probably wouldn't be an easy decision for Hockey Canada even if Getzlaf had totally outplayed Staal for the past season. Last year Getzlaf and Staal were in a pretty dead heat. This season Staal has had a down year while Getzlaf has taken his game to another level... that doesn't mean that HC forgets about all the time that Staal has invested into their program and the Gold medal that he helped them win in Moscow in '07.

In a vaacum it would probably be Getzlaf ahead of Staal right now in terms of who you'd want on your Olympic team, but HC has a history of putting factors like team loyalty, past experience, and "role playing" into the equation. In other words, I wouldn't be any more confident saying that Staal would make it than I would in saying that Jason Spezza, another taxi squad guy from '05, would make it.
Vagrant, I'd agree with you if Staal had some intangibles he could bring to the team/game that Getz couldn't but really there's nothing that Staal does better than Getzlaf except for scoring goals. Getzlaf has the edge in playmaking and physicality. I really hate Getzlaf but I don't deny that he's the better player right now and would bring more to the table... in a year we'll see if things have swung back into Eric's favour.

GIN ANTONIC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2009, 05:41 PM
MaKi
Marschak's #1 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwingsfan View Post
I have always voted for Getzlaf over Staal, I was even ripped for it pretty good a couple of years ago... Still Getzlaf for me..
Same here, and I'm still voting Getzlaf also. Even if you switched the point totals it's still Getzlaf.

MaKi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2009, 06:43 PM
Randall Graves*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagrant View Post
It will be an interesting decision for sure, I was just underlining the fact that it probably wouldn't be an easy decision for Hockey Canada even if Getzlaf had totally outplayed Staal for the past season. Last year Getzlaf and Staal were in a pretty dead heat. This season Staal has had a down year while Getzlaf has taken his game to another level... that doesn't mean that HC forgets about all the time that Staal has invested into their program and the Gold medal that he helped them win in Moscow in '07.

In a vaacum it would probably be Getzlaf ahead of Staal right now in terms of who you'd want on your Olympic team, but HC has a history of putting factors like team loyalty, past experience, and "role playing" into the equation. In other words, I wouldn't be any more confident saying that Staal would make it than I would in saying that Jason Spezza, another taxi squad guy from '05, would make it.
Unless Getzlaf gets hurt, he's a lock to make team Canada and likely play on a line with Heatley and Nash.

and I'd contend Getz was better than Staal last year.

Randall Graves* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2009, 06:53 PM
GIN ANTONIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall Graves View Post
Unless Getzlaf gets hurt, he's a lock to make team Canada and likely play on a line with Heatley and Nash.

and I'd contend Getz was better than Staal last year.
That line was lethal for sure and I'd say it's a coin flip as to who was better last year. Staal was arguably the best player in the league for the last 20 games and he carried an injury decimated team to within 1 point of the playoffs. For me, that tips the scales just enough to say up until this year, Staal has been the better player. Of course, I'm a Canes fan and you're Ducks fan so there ya go.

Old
01-20-2009, 08:37 PM
tmntdonjuan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRAINIAC View Post
That line was lethal for sure and I'd say it's a coin flip as to who was better last year. Staal was arguably the best player in the league for the last 20 games and he carried an injury decimated team to within 1 point of the playoffs. For me, that tips the scales just enough to say up until this year, Staal has been the better player. Of course, I'm a Canes fan and you're Ducks fan so there ya go.
Getzlaf put up as many points as Staal last year with fewer games while playing on one of the worst offensive teams in the entire league. Tell me how exactly Staal was better than Getzlaf last year? I would even argue that Staal and Getzlaf played to the same level in the Ducks' championship year (06-07). While Staal put up more points that year, Getzlaf was playing 3rd/4th line minutes with Perry and Parros. That year it was Kunitz/McDonald/Selanne > Moen/Pahlsson/Neidermayer > Parros/Getzlaf/Perry in terms of minutes.

tmntdonjuan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2009, 09:24 PM
GIN ANTONIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by byungshin34 View Post
Getzlaf put up as many points as Staal last year with fewer games while playing on one of the worst offensive teams in the entire league. Tell me how exactly Staal was better than Getzlaf last year? I would even argue that Staal and Getzlaf played to the same level in the Ducks' championship year (06-07). While Staal put up more points that year, Getzlaf was playing 3rd/4th line minutes with Perry and Parros. That year it was Kunitz/McDonald/Selanne > Moen/Pahlsson/Neidermayer > Parros/Getzlaf/Perry in terms of minutes.
Ummm... the part where I said Staal carried his entire team when the captain went down for 20+ games, The team's best winger missed over half the season and they traded away Cory Stillman, who was the teams next best forward. In that sense it wasn't just about points. Staal was playing possessed with and without the puck. Over that time he actually turned into a good two-way player and became the leader of the team. For 20+ games Staal was the entire team and when other teams tried to shut him down he just got better. While Staal and the Canes lost key players, Getzlaf benefited by getting back Nieds and Teemu. I'll say it was close between the two, but Staal was better imo.

Old
01-20-2009, 11:09 PM
tmntdonjuan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRAINIAC View Post
Ummm... the part where I said Staal carried his entire team when the captain went down for 20+ games, The team's best winger missed over half the season and they traded away Cory Stillman, who was the teams next best forward. In that sense it wasn't just about points. Staal was playing possessed with and without the puck. Over that time he actually turned into a good two-way player and became the leader of the team. For 20+ games Staal was the entire team and when other teams tried to shut him down he just got better. While Staal and the Canes lost key players, Getzlaf benefited by getting back Nieds and Teemu. I'll say it was close between the two, but Staal was better imo.
While Staal was playing like a man possessed for the last part of the season, Getzlaf was consistently the Ducks' best player throughout the whole season. While Staal was learning how to be a 2-way player, Getzlaf had already taken on defensive responsibilities, playing on the 5-on-3 PK. Staal may have carried his team during the late part of the season, but Getzlaf had already done that for the entire season. He and Perry were the only star players to take a step forward after the championship, with Getzlaf definitely playing the bigger role. Giguere played basically the same. Pronger took a step back in his play last year. Neidermayer and Selanne came back but both of them definitely took a step back in terms of their overall play, especially Neidermayer. Selanne didn't have a decent 2nd line center for the entire season so he was only effective on the powerplay. I could go on and on about how Getzlaf was consistently Anaheim's best player for the entire season. Staal may have played better in the later part of the season and taken on a bigger role, but Getzlaf already had to take on that big role from the start of the season. To me, you can't say that the player who carried his team for a part of the season is better than the player carried his team for the entire season.

tmntdonjuan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2009, 09:11 AM
GIN ANTONIC

Yes, Getzlaf was more consistent from the start. I'm not denying that. But my points are still valid and despite Pronger 'taking a step back' last year. he was still a top 3-5 d-man. Your team has/had 3 HHOF players and got 2 of them back mid season. That makes a big difference imo... or at least it should. Staal wasn't as consistent and that's been a big knock on him. But his highs were much higher than Getzlaf's. Anyway, it's just an opinion. It's not like I think Staal destroyed Getzlaf last year, but I give him a slight edge.

Old
01-21-2009, 03:47 PM
Bruinsfan_37
Stanley Cup Champs

Ryan Getzlaf

Bruinsfan_37 is offline   Reply With Quote