HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Hockey Gladiators cancelled?

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-06-2004, 10:42 AM
  #1
Badger Bob
Registered User
 
Badger Bob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: in my happy place
Country: Germany
Posts: 5,286
vCash: 500
Hockey Gladiators cancelled?

http://www.canoe.ca/NewsStand/Winnip...06/570662.html

Badger Bob is offline  
Old
08-06-2004, 10:46 AM
  #2
benji
Took too much, man.
 
benji's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Too much.
Posts: 10,452
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to benji
omg no this can't be happening, my life will be ruined if this show doesn't go on.

benji is offline  
Old
08-06-2004, 10:55 AM
  #3
guitaraholic*
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 898
vCash: 500
thank god. as if the sport weren't considered enough of a joke as it is. this 'show' certainly didn't help.

guitaraholic* is offline  
Old
08-06-2004, 11:02 AM
  #4
Douggy
Registered User
 
Douggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: London, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,833
vCash: 500
I actually think this is pretty interesting. I wont pay to watch it, but if it was on Cable, I'd watch.

Douggy is offline  
Old
08-06-2004, 11:07 AM
  #5
Frankie
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,163
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitaraholic
thank god. as if the sport weren't considered enough of a joke as it is. this 'show' certainly didn't help.
who considers the sport a joke?

Frankie is offline  
Old
08-06-2004, 11:28 AM
  #6
guitaraholic*
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 898
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie
who considers the sport a joke?
read any major american media outlets, lately?

guitaraholic* is offline  
Old
08-06-2004, 11:29 AM
  #7
Bileur
Registered User
 
Bileur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,777
vCash: 500
Damn

Bileur is offline  
Old
08-06-2004, 11:34 AM
  #8
Frankie
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,163
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitaraholic
read any major american media outlets, lately?
nope. why would any hockey fan care what non hockey fans think?

i'm not embarressed by the fact i watch and like hockey.

Frankie is offline  
Old
08-06-2004, 11:41 AM
  #9
Toonces
The beer kitty
 
Toonces's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: New Jersey
Country: Ireland
Posts: 3,676
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitaraholic
read any major american media outlets, lately?
Yeah, because their opinions matter. :lol

Toonces is offline  
Old
08-06-2004, 02:15 PM
  #10
ehc73
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Coquitlam, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,943
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to ehc73
It took this long for them to cancel? Damn, I guess people were more curious than I thought...

ehc73 is offline  
Old
08-06-2004, 02:57 PM
  #11
Kaiped Krusader
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Rylan up the Opposition
Posts: 248
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonces
Yeah, because their opinions matter. :lol
Why wouldn't their opinions matter? If the sport is going to survive and flourish, it's going to need to not alienate potential fans. As if stuff like the Bertuzzi incident didn't do enough, trash like "Hockey Gladiators" gives the media fodder to feed the stereotype that the sport is all about violence.

Kaiped Krusader is offline  
Old
08-06-2004, 03:18 PM
  #12
chicpea*
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 8,613
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiped Krusader
Why wouldn't their opinions matter? If the sport is going to survive and flourish, it's going to need to not alienate potential fans.
I think you're confusing the "NHL" with the "sport." Hockey has flourished just dandily without major American participation for some time now; it will continue to do so when others prefer watching muscle cars drive in a circle.

But your point is valid for sure, concerning the NHL at least. They want to expand, they need the support and the money of the massive American sports market.

chicpea* is offline  
Old
08-06-2004, 03:54 PM
  #13
Frankie
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,163
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiped Krusader
Why wouldn't their opinions matter? If the sport is going to survive and flourish, it's going to need to not alienate potential fans. As if stuff like the Bertuzzi incident didn't do enough, trash like "Hockey Gladiators" gives the media fodder to feed the stereotype that the sport is all about violence.
oh yes, and americans hate violence.

Frankie is offline  
Old
08-06-2004, 07:16 PM
  #14
ehc73
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Coquitlam, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,943
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to ehc73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiped Krusader
As if stuff like the Bertuzzi incident didn't do enough, trash like "Hockey Gladiators" gives the media fodder to feed the stereotype that the sport is all about violence.
Right. Because the reason why professional wrestling is so popular isn't because of the violence. Yeah...

ehc73 is offline  
Old
08-06-2004, 08:00 PM
  #15
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod
 
barrytrotzsneck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Nashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 31,225
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie
oh yes, and americans hate violence.

we hate violence...but we loooove blanket statements!

tell me more about myself, Joe Canuck!

__________________
www.thepredatorial.com

barrytrotzsneck is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:51 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.