HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

PGT: The world is normal...the sun came up and the devils won

Old
01-22-2009, 12:14 AM
NewHabsEra*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick Nick View Post
Is it me or the Devils get away with tons of obstruction calls?
They were always first on the puck, they were quicker and more hungry all game long, they played fairly, we played poorly, end of story.

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2009, 12:20 AM
Nitehowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
Yeah, someone who says there's at most one team we could beat in the PO sure has a clue...

should ask if if we should pick Tavares or Hedman... you know...
What is your point here? Did I say we were one of the worst teams and able to draft a Tavares or Hedman.... or did I say the only team we have a good chance to beat is NYR unless we change a few forwards .We need more guys like Higgs/MaxPac/D'Ago who work hard every shift . We don't have that one highly skilled guy that can win a game for us like Ovechkin/Vinny etc but alot of skill that doesn't outwork the opposition. They want to win by PP and fancy stuff.

Do your really believe right now this team could be Boston/Wash/NJ/Philly in a best of 7? If you answer YES ... please explain your thoughts... instead of just complaining about other people

Nitehowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2009, 12:22 AM
Slick Nick

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsEra View Post
They were always first on the puck, they were quicker and more hungry all game long, they played fairly, we played poorly, end of story.
Have I said the opposite? I'm just asking if anyone else has the feeling that they get away with tons of obstruction calls...

I've watched the game twice and I could count numerous borderline obstruction plays, not blatant obstruction, but borderline. I guess it's their trademark...

Slick Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2009, 12:37 AM
JHabs
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to JHabs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick Nick View Post
Have I said the opposite? I'm just asking if anyone else has the feeling that they get away with tons of obstruction calls...

I've watched the game twice and I could count numerous borderline obstruction plays, not blatant obstruction, but borderline. I guess it's their trademark...
I had trouble watching it once, I can't believe you watched it twice O.O

And Obstruction is common as far as I'm concerned I see it all the time and I'd say its called 30-45% of the time.

JHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2009, 12:48 AM
Beetlebum*

jesus christ you people are in denial. the devils no longer trap the system has changed and even if we still did trap who cares? it brought us victories just like it did to your franchise when lemaire and robinson were manning the ice.

Beetlebum* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2009, 12:59 AM
Hab-a-maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beetlebum View Post
jesus christ you people are in denial. the devils no longer trap the system has changed and even if we still did trap who cares? it brought us victories just like it did to your franchise when lemaire and robinson were manning the ice.
People often forget how boring the Habs were from 1984 to 1992 under Lemaire, Perron (though not in the 85-86 regular season since the goaltending was in disarray before Roy in the playoffs) and Burns. It was a slew of 3-2 games and back then, those games were pretty snooze-inducing.

Hab-a-maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2009, 01:05 AM
googlymoogly

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAbbott View Post
There is this one guy who's small and a warrior as well.. I think his name is soku koiva or something of the sorts.
We had some older guys long ago that were small to. Some had the last name Richard then in the eighties a guy by the name of Naslund wasn't bad either. Can't forget another one that would defend his team mates by the name of Gilmour. Size doesn't matter heart is what makes a player a warrior. We went with size in 80 by the name of Wickenheiser instead of the heart of Savard.

googlymoogly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2009, 01:11 AM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitehowl View Post
What is your point here? Did I say we were one of the worst teams and able to draft a Tavares or Hedman.... or did I say the only team we have a good chance to beat is NYR unless we change a few forwards .We need more guys like Higgs/MaxPac/D'Ago who work hard every shift . We don't have that one highly skilled guy that can win a game for us like Ovechkin/Vinny etc but alot of skill that doesn't outwork the opposition. They want to win by PP and fancy stuff.

Do your really believe right now this team could be Boston/Wash/NJ/Philly in a best of 7? If you answer YES ... please explain your thoughts... instead of just complaining about other people
Why is it we're always so easily beatable only to Habs fans?..

Boston lost to St-Louis not too long ago..the worst team in the West. What does this means??..How can anybody expect them to make it far in the POs when they can't beat St.Louis right??..They need a few changes in their line up I guess..
Ya, great logic.

This is all BS.

So we had two bad games, and??..
What about our 11-2-1 record since losing Price-Koivu-Higgins-Tanguay-Dandy-Laraque and before those 2bad games??..
All we were hearing is how good we were without our 1st line, and now we only have a decent chance of getting to round 2 if we play NYR??..yea okay there buddy..

Now we're getting some players back, they're clearly and understandably going to be a bit rusty.

Yeah we played 2 back to back poor games. So, this means we probably can't beat Boston, Washington, New Jersey, Philly, in the POs..

Well, Philly lost to TB couple games back.
Bruins squeaked one out of Toronto in SO after loss to the Blues, not quite the solid back to back performances.
Devils are now on fire, but lost back to back games, one of which was a 4-0 loss to Thrashers before turning it on.
Washington are 3-4 in last 7Games.

Please explain to me how those team are THAT much better than us?..
We beat Bos in a game 7 series last year. I don't see how they're playing that much differently than they were in the POs.
We beat them last season when our key things collapsed (PP, Markov, Streit, injured Komi/Koivu playing)

Everybody has to step up their game in the POs, it's unpredictable to know how a team will perform. That's why there's always a lot of upsets, all sports combined.

Out of all the teams you've listed, except NJ when Marty comes back, none have a better goalie. None have a better defense, and none really has a much better offense (maybe WSH).

On paper, we're all pretty much even. Except Boston that's up there for some reason, NJ-WSH-MTL-PHI-NYR are all evenly matched and that's why there's only 4pts that separates us all.

Sure a few tweaks would help our team, most importantly a Dman, but come PO time, it'll be anybody's game. Either team can win or lose.

You should at least wait for us to get Higgins/Tanguay back and give them some games to find their rhythm back along with Koivu before stating we won't beat any team other than NYR in POs.

We had 2bad games after going 11-2-1. Can you imagine if teams made changes to their rosters by trading players whenever they lost 2games in a row???..

Take a chill pill, it's all pretty even in the East from 1st to 6th, even if Boston is quite ahead.

Last edited by Kriss E: 01-22-2009 at 01:19 AM.
Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2009, 01:11 AM
marty30brodeur*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
You know some are saying we don't have enough physicality for the Devils but last year for the first time in years we beat them. And that was because of skills and speed. That's just it: we don't have the super-weapon that was the A46-Plek-Kovy line of last year. We could beat the Devils because they were simply too slow to trap us. But age caught on Kovy and he lost the speed he had and as such Plek and Andrei do not have him to make them look good.
completely different devils team last yr. We had 0 chance to win the cup last yr or make the cup out of the east. This year our team is as strong as it has been since 2003.

marty30brodeur* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2009, 01:19 AM
capebretoncanadien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post

Boston lost to St-Louis not too long ago..the worst team in the West. What does this means??..How can anybody expect them to make it far in the POs when they can't beat St.Louis right??..They need a few changes in their line up I guess..
Ya, great logic.

This is all BS.

What about our 11-2-1 record since losing Price-Koivu-Higgins-Tanguay-Dandy-Laraque and before those 2bad games??..
All we were hearing is how good we were without our 1st line, and now we only have a decent chance of getting to round 2 if we play NYR??..yea okay there buddy..

Now we're getting some players back, they're clearly and understandably going to be a bit rusty.

Yeah we played 2 back to back poor games. So, this means we probably can't beat Boston, Washington, New Jersey, Philly, in the POs..

Bruins squeaked one out of Toronto in SO after loss to the Blues, not quite the solid back to back performances.
Devils are now on fire, but lost back to back games, one of which was a 4-0 loss to Thrashers before turning it on.

We beat Bos in a game 7 series last year. I don't see how they're playing that much differently than they were in the POs.
We beat them last season when our key things collapsed (PP, Markov, Streit, injured Komi/Koivu playing)

Everybody has to step up their game in the POs, it's unpredictable to know how a team will perform. That's why there's always a lot of upsets, all sports combined.

Out of all the teams you've listed, except NJ when Marty comes back, none have a better goalie. None have a better defense, and none really has a much better offense (maybe WSH).

On paper, we're all pretty much even. Except Boston that's up there for some reason, NJ-WSH-MTL-PHI-NYR are all evenly matched and that's why there's only 4pts that separates us all.

Sure a few tweaks would help our team, most importantly a Dman, but come PO time, it'll be anybody's game. Either team can win or lose.

You should at least wait for us to get Higgins/Tanguay back and give them some games to find their rhythm back along with Koivu before stating we won't beat any team other than NYR in POs.

We had 2bad games after going 11-2-1. Can you imagine if teams made changes to their rosters by trading players whenever they lost 2games in a row???..

Take a chill pill, we're not being any of the teams you mentioned, not even the Bruins.
Best post in the thread by far......give your head a shake people. A LITTLE optimism now and then wouldn't kill ya would it? Ya can't win em' all y'know.

capebretoncanadien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2009, 01:20 AM
madbox

I never quit on games, but NJ, down 2-0, I was out.

Breezer and Bouillon were god awful from what I saw.
Bunch of bad breaks on the goals against.
Why did Carbo switch Patches and Stewart? Thought Patches was a good fit on the Pleks line, was he just 'rewarding' him since his linemates sucked donkey tonight or what?

madbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2009, 01:21 AM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:

Explain ? I really need to explain to you that reg season and playoffs are two different things ?

Do I also need to throw the Flyers (reg season last year : 4-0) and Bruins (last year reg season 8-0) example as to why reg season record doesnt always translate in the playoffs ?

Or! maybe I should mention thoses Flyers and Bruins did have a losing record against us, dominated from the beginning to the end of the reg. season ?

Nah! I won't bother with all that, I'll let you freak out about two losses

Just thinking though, are you assuming we would beat the NYR cause we have a great record against them ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by madbox View Post
I never quit on games, but NJ, down 2-0, I was out.

Breezer and Bouillon were god awful from what I saw.
Bunch of bad breaks on the goals against.
Why did Carbo switch Patches and Stewart? Thought Patches was a good fit on the Pleks line, was he just 'rewarding' him since his linemates sucked donkey tonight or what?

That's what I think too... might as well put the ones working well together so we can have at least one decent offensive line.

Last edited by Habs10Habs: 01-22-2009 at 09:14 AM.
ECWHSWI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2009, 01:39 AM
Nitehowl

Quote:

Ya, great logic.

This is all BS.

Take a chill pill, it's all pretty even in the East from 1st to 6th, even if Boston is quite ahead.
Good post.. I would say Lundqvist is better than Price right now.

My comments about us having a difficult time against the BOS/NJ/WASH/Philly is not based on the last 2 games but from most of the season so far. I thought the high powered offence at the start of the year, run and gun if you will, would just outscore most opponents and with Price in goal we would dominate most games. But that is far from the truth as this team has so much trouble even outshoooting other teams and puts up too many lackluster games to be considered in the top echelon.
We have skill, speed, youth but maybe not in the right amounts. We still lack tough physical players (tho encouraged by the recent play of MaxPac/Stew/D'Ago) With these young kids playing we are getting closer to a playoff style team. We just can't win with tooo many perimeter type players.

Old
01-22-2009, 01:56 AM
Nitehowl

Quote:
Explain ? I really need to explain to you that reg season and playoffs are two different things ?

Do I also need to throw the Flyers (reg season last year : 4-0) and Bruins (last year reg season 8-0) example as to why reg season record doesnt always translate in the playoffs ?

Or! maybe I should mention thoses Flyers and Bruins did have a losing record against us, dominated from the beginning to the end of the reg. season ?

Nah! I won't bother with all that, I'll let you freak out about two losses

Just thinking though, are you assuming we would beat the NYR cause we have a great record against them ?
I have been following the Habs for more years than your age ( I think ) so I am not freaking out at all about a couple losses.

What has worried me for most of this season is that this team will have a difficult time beating those teams I mentioned. Season records are just that ...season records , they only get you to the dance.... but this team plays a soft style( I won't say Euro) for the most part and compared to those teams I mentioned who play a more playoff style during the regular season they will have a difficult time. You can't have a bunch of perimeter players and expect to go far. Do you not agree?? Yes I like the Habs and all but if it doesn't concern you with the style they play and that D , then lets agree to talk after the playoffs and see who is right!!

This team really needs to make a move or two and use up some of the excess young talent to go far.Guys like Chips, Pleks maybe to bring in a Nathan Horton who's style is made for the playoffs. They also really need to find a PP type player with some toughness on D.

Old
01-22-2009, 02:15 AM
Brass

Quote:

Ya, great logic.

This is all BS.

Listen to the man ladies & gents , we all know what important to make our way to the playoff , we all know its a different game

Kriss E same p.o.v , parity

Brass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2009, 02:38 AM
Istvan

Quote:
I have been following the Habs for more years than your age ( I think ) so I am not freaking out at all about a couple losses.

What has worried me for most of this season is that this team will have a difficult time beating those teams I mentioned. Season records are just that ...season records , they only get you to the dance.... but this team plays a soft style( I won't say Euro) for the most part and compared to those teams I mentioned who play a more playoff style during the regular season they will have a difficult time. You can't have a bunch of perimeter players and expect to go far. Do you not agree?? Yes I like the Habs and all but if it doesn't concern you with the style they play and that D , then lets agree to talk after the playoffs and see who is right!!

This team really needs to make a move or two and use up some of the excess young talent to go far.Guys like Chips, Pleks maybe to bring in a Nathan Horton who's style is made for the playoffs. They also really need to find a PP type player with some toughness on D.
Well thanks for (not saying Euro). Now nobody will confuse you with any of those idiots who think soft and euro are synonyms.

Istvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2009, 02:45 AM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:

So, how was it to watch Aurel ?

Quote:
Good post.. I would say Lundqvist is better than Price right now.

My comments about us having a difficult time against the BOS/NJ/WASH/Philly is not based on the last 2 games but from most of the season so far. I thought the high powered offence at the start of the year, run and gun if you will, would just outscore most opponents and with Price in goal we would dominate most games. But that is far from the truth as this team has so much trouble even outshoooting other teams and puts up too many lackluster games to be considered in the top echelon.
We have skill, speed, youth but maybe not in the right amounts. We still lack tough physical players (tho encouraged by the recent play of MaxPac/Stew/D'Ago) With these young kids playing we are getting closer to a playoff style team. We just can't win with tooo many perimeter type players.
huh... we're 2-0 so far against Philly this season... and for what it's worth, we were 4-0 against them last year...

Last edited by Habs10Habs: 01-22-2009 at 09:15 AM.
Old
01-22-2009, 02:58 AM
holyhabs87

Quote:
huh... we're 2-0 so far against Philly this season... and for what it's worth, we were 4-0 against them last year...
2-1

we lost 2-1 to philly at home with halak in the net

holyhabs87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2009, 03:33 AM
Doc McKenna

Yeah our streaks are all dead at this point.

Doc McKenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2009, 04:53 AM
fromage67

Well, I almost never post in these PGT threads, but I just have to get this off my chest:

Tomas Plekanec, where have you gone? The guy who occupies your body since the playoffs is a very mediocre hockey player. It's time for Plekanec to spend some time on the 4th line and on the press gallery. He needs a Phil Kessel-type benching. Do it Carbo.

fromage67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2009, 05:30 AM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fromage67 View Post
Well, I almost never post in these PGT threads, but I just have to get this off my chest:

Tomas Plekanec, where have you gone? The guy who occupies your body since the playoffs is a very mediocre hockey player. It's time for Plekanec to spend some time on the 4th line and on the press gallery. He needs a Phil Kessel-type benching. Do it Carbo.

Wondering the same thing when I see him on the ice... the guy made significant progress every single year since a Hab (including his AHL time)... but now, he looks like a AHLer...

At the same time last year he was our #1 C... now, he's still in the line up only because our C in the AHL arent ready yet...

Old
01-22-2009, 06:05 AM
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via Yahoo to toshiro
The Habs needs some top end elite offensive talent. We go on and on about our prospects while Parise dominates.

toshiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2009, 07:21 AM
Rscorpio
Epic Meal Time!

bench the little girl (Plekanecks)

Rscorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2009, 07:48 AM
maciekhockey

We won tonight 3:1

maciekhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2009, 07:52 AM
dd

Carbonneau not happy with latest effort from some players

In a press conference after the New Jersey game, Guy is asked if he "benched" Kovalev and Plekanec for part of the second period for lack of effort. He responded, "bien sur", of course!

Unfortunately, there always seems to be a few coasters in games.

dd is offline   Reply With Quote