HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Det/L.A. Trade Possibility?

Closed Thread

Old
07-30-2004, 01:30 PM
agentfouser
Playoffs?!?!

vCash: 500
i don't know about that, it seems to me that we're doing fairly well at developing talent. our roster isn't overflowing with impact players right now, but that doesn't mean that we aren't doing a good job. frolov may have spent his prior years in russia, but that's the strength of taylor's drafting philosophy of taking european/college players. they develop free of charge until they're ready to contribute - basically, with frolov we just made the pick, put it in the bank, and viola a few years later we had a great young player. you're seeing the same thing with petiot - we made our pick, put him in bank of ncaa hockey and in another year ot two we'll have our young player ready to contribute. if you're only willing to see players who have spent time in manchester as truly our work, then look at barney (two years there, probably more nhl-ready than just about anyone else), clarke (college and now excelling in manchester), and grebeshkov (one year in manchester, should be ready to earn an nhl job next year). gleason as well benefitted from the ahl time.

basically developing young players is all about finding ways to fill holes in your roster from within the organization. we've done that to a greater degree than ever before: huet, zizka, clarke, holland, frolov, cammalleri, barney, gleason. and i agree, many of those guys are marginal contributers. however, they helped us last year, and the contributions of the farm system are only going to increase in the coming years.

Old
07-30-2004, 02:52 PM
KingPurpleDinosaur
Bandwagon Kings Fan

ya, i see wat ur saying navigator and i agree. but i'm saying more for one of those late round picks that just developed into a fedorov or datsyuk. we seem to be getting better as we are developing good nhl fillers, but i have yet to see one late draft pick prospect that seems to be developing so well in our farm that we may get one of those impact players as you speak about.

Old
07-30-2004, 03:24 PM
McDonald19
Hampus

Quote:
Originally Posted by King'sPawn
I don't see Detroit trading for Avery; if he was that valuable I doubt he would have been allowed to join in on the Schneider deal.
I remember watching the season on espn that year and they showed the detroit GM and his management people having trade deadline day discussions. They all were reluctant to put Avery in the deal but they had to to get Schneider. So It wasn't like they didn't care at all and just threw him in the deal, LA asked for him.

Old
07-31-2004, 09:05 AM
shadoz19

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDonald19
I remember watching the season on espn that year and they showed the detroit GM and his management people having trade deadline day discussions. They all were reluctant to put Avery in the deal but they had to to get Schneider. So It wasn't like they didn't care at all and just threw him in the deal, LA asked for him.
Avery was definately the best young player the Wings had traded in a long time. He'll probably develop into a Kirk Maltby type of player. He'll be a very good agitator. I think the Wings parted with him cuz they have a lot of that type of player in the minors, maybe not ready though for a few years.

Old
07-31-2004, 11:38 AM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
Yeah the Kings needed an agitator guy after trading Mair to Buf for Rasmussen, so he was an integral part of the deal...

Old
08-02-2004, 10:30 AM
Joe Dokes

Quote:
Yes. I also recall that Bowman did not appear happy that Avery was being put in the deal.

Old
08-02-2004, 10:48 AM
Matt13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45
Yeah the Kings needed an agitator guy after trading Mair to Buf for Rasmussen, so he was an integral part of the deal...

What a waste of a trade. I really like Mair a lot. His battles with Chris Neal are classic.

Old
08-02-2004, 01:49 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herbie Verstinks
What a waste of a trade. I really like Mair a lot. His battles with Chris Neal are classic.
So do I. I wish he was still a King.

Old
08-02-2004, 03:10 PM
swinginutter*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45
So do I. I wish he was still a King.
We have a dozen Mair's and he's long forgotten. This team really needs to start emphasizing on scoring and building a high end top six unit. We had a little taste of it........but it's been a huge buzz-kill! Top three players gone, and nothing in return.

Old
08-02-2004, 03:24 PM
Matt13

Quote:
Originally Posted by swinginutter
We have a dozen Mair's and he's long forgotten. This team really needs to start emphasizing on scoring and building a high end top six unit. We had a little taste of it........but it's been a huge buzz-kill! Top three players gone, and nothing in return.

We didnt have a dozen when he was traded.

Old
08-02-2004, 06:28 PM
girl4kings
2012 & 2014 Champs

Send a message via AIM to girl4kings Send a message via Yahoo to girl4kings
No! I dont think Sean's gf would like that.

Old
08-02-2004, 06:41 PM
King Blazer

Quote:
We didnt have a dozen when he was traded.
He cost the team a roster-spot for 10-games during his suspension and was moved.

Brennan cost the team a roster-spot for 10-games during his suspension and was moved.

The next non top-player that costs the team a roster-spot for a 10-game suspension, will be moved....

Old
08-02-2004, 07:16 PM
Matt13

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Blazer
He cost the team a roster-spot for 10-games during his suspension and was moved.

Brennan cost the team a roster-spot for 10-games during his suspension and was moved.

The next non top-player that costs the team a roster-spot for a 10-game suspension, will be moved....

I dont know you, but is this a theory of yours or do you know something?

I would trade Brennan for Cowan anyday no matter if the suspension occurred or not.

Old
08-02-2004, 07:30 PM
King Blazer

Quote:

I would trade Brennan for Cowan anyday no matter if the suspension occurred or not.
It is just my observation of two players that received 10-game suspensions and did not finish the season with the team. Yes, I would trade Brennan for Cowan as well. Probably just coincidence that both Brennan and Mair were moved in the same season of their suspensions....

Hopefully, we won't have the opportunity to find out if they would coincidently move another player if he received a 10-game suspension...

Old
08-03-2004, 03:23 PM
swinginutter*

Quote:

Well, i'm over that deal but losing Brennan kinda' sucked. Kid was only twenty-three and had some upside. We still lack heavyweights on this club, and we're the only team in the league that wants our heavyweights to contribute to the score-sheet. :lol We get softer by the minute!
Most people here don't even know the difference between a heavyweight and a middleweight. Did I say we were soft?

Old
08-03-2004, 04:40 PM
Matt13

Quote:
Well, i'm over that deal but losing Brennan kinda' sucked. Kid was only twenty-three and had some upside. We still lack heavyweights on this club, and we're the only team in the league that wants our heavyweights to contribute to the score-sheet. :lol We get softer by the minute!
Most people here don't even know the difference between a heavyweight and a middleweight. Did I say we were soft?

You dont have to tell guys like my or Reaper that we are soft.

With Andy Murray though, you have the option of Brennan on the bench, or Cowan on the ice. Take what you can get.

Although I will say this team is going to be a hell of a lot tougher than last year even with the loss of Lappy.

Old
08-03-2004, 04:48 PM
willie

Quote:
Well, i'm over that deal but losing Brennan kinda' sucked. Kid was only twenty-three and had some upside.
Upside? Let's not kid ourselves. At best, Brennan might be able to play 8-10 minutes on a fourth line. Needless to say, he wasn't in the NHL for his talent.

Quote:
We still lack heavyweights on this club
Ryan Flinn is being pencilled into the lineup and I think he's going to be with the Kings full time next year. Flinn has worked hard to develop into a somewhat capable hockey player and I think he is going to be in the lineup more often than not next year. As of now, I'm not particularly worried about the Kings lacking a heavyweight.

Quote:
Most people here don't even know the difference between a heavyweight and a middleweight.
Is Ryan Flinn considered a heavyweight?

Old
08-03-2004, 04:51 PM
Matt13

Quote:
Originally Posted by willie
Is Ryan Flinn considered a heavyweight?

Not in the Canadian Sumo league.

Old
08-03-2004, 09:21 PM
swinginutter*

Quote:
Upside? Let's not kid ourselves. At best, Brennan might be able to play 8-10 minutes on a fourth line. Needless to say, he wasn't in the NHL for his talent.
I can agree with you some what. But yes he does have upside. A.) He's playing in the best league in the world, and with Atlanta he'll get games consistently. B.) He's still very raw. And please tell me any heavyweight off the top of your head that came into this league and just started tearing it up in all facets of the game.
Point is that most heavyweights in todays game took a lot of grooming to get a regular shift and 90% of them still don't get a regular shift. So 8-10 minutes.....yeah I can live with that and that's the way it should be anyways. Point is we lack a major piece of the puzzle, but it seems like some people love to have four balanced lines...........which we've never had, so what's the point? The greatest player to ever play this game, not only employs his ex-officers, but is constantly looking to add heavy-hitters and tough SOB's to his line-up. We like to get cream-puffs. Avery plays on the team and he said it himself last year!

Quote:
Ryan Flinn is being pencilled into the lineup and I think he's going to be with the Kings full time next year. Flinn has worked hard to develop into a somewhat capable hockey player and I think he is going to be in the lineup more often than not next year. As of now, I'm not particularly worried about the Kings lacking a heavyweight.
Yeah, so am I. Because fans on a board think that, doesn't mean it's going to happen. I here that same BS every year, especially from management only to see the guy rot in Manchester for their viewing pleasures. I can only hope that what you're saying is true. But i'll wait and see.

Is Ryan Flinn considered a heavyweight? [/QUOTE]

:lol
He was. But from what the Monarch fans are telling us, i'm starting to get scared that we've turned a perfectly good heavyweight into a tinkerbell that wants to score goals. Bad analogy I know! I don't mind the club trying to hone players all around game, but every player should know their role, and Flinn's is to scare the ***** out of players, and kick ass when need be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerbieVerstinks
You dont have to tell guys like my or Reaper that we are soft.
With Andy Murray though, you have the option of Brennan on the bench, or Cowan on the ice. Take what you can get.
Although I will say this team is going to be a hell of a lot tougher than last year even with the loss of Lappy
Good point, on the AM sitch. I've leraned to deal with that ***** now.........still bugs me though!

As for the loss of Lappy and getting tougher........still yet to be seen, and so far i'd say we've got "pralines and dick"!

Old
08-04-2004, 02:47 PM
washie

Well for the original post of Avery and Barny (SP?), I would not like to see Barny as a red wing. Im not that big of a fan of Avery though. But if the Wings are really wanting Avery back I would not mind sending some prospects and getting my boy Lang back. He could be our number 1 center were looking for.

Old
08-07-2004, 02:33 AM
ziggy33

to DET
avery, barney

to LA
KRONWALL, ZETTERBERG

Closed Thread