HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Trade deadline rumors and discussion thread

Closed Thread

Old
01-22-2009, 11:47 AM
BringBackStevens

vCash: 500
If Briere is done for the season it might be possible to fit Pronger's 6.25 million in by moving Lupul and Jones in the deal as the salary portions of the deal, and picks and prospects as the real value. It's pretty tough to gauge how much he would get in return at this point.

If it's possible without killing our future, i would do it though. Pronger is exactly what this team needs

Old
01-22-2009, 11:48 AM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Inebriator View Post
If Briere is done for the season it might be possible to fit Pronger's 6.25 million in by moving Lupul and Jones in the deal as the salary portions of the deal, and picks and prospects as the real value. It's pretty tough to gauge how much he would get in return at this point.

If it's possible without killing our future, i would do it though. Pronger is exactly what this team needs
Thats all fine....however, I think Lupul is a necessity if you are going to be without Briere.

Old
01-22-2009, 11:58 AM
BringBackStevens

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedifr
Thats all fine....however, I think Lupul is a necessity if you are going to be without Briere.
I'm not sure i agree. That's a sacrifice i would quite easily make for a defender of Pronger's caliber. We do have a plethora of players that are perfect fits for a more traditional third line if such a deal could take place.

And remember, there is no salary cap in the playoffs. If Briere could return safely then, we could get the best of both worlds. The biggest issue would be next season. It would be an assured loss of Knuble, and probably not space for JVR

Old
01-22-2009, 12:04 PM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Inebriator View Post
I'm not sure i agree. That's a sacrifice i would quite easily make for a defender of Pronger's caliber. We do have a plethora of players that are perfect fits for a more traditional third line if such a deal could take place.

And remember, there is no salary cap in the playoffs. If Briere could return safely then, we could get the best of both worlds. The biggest issue would be next season. It would be an assured loss of Knuble, and probably not space for JVR
Yeah but Lupul shouldnt be on the third line, he should be on one of the top 2.

I am not willing to go into the playoffs with only Carter, Richards and Gagne to rely on to give me consistent offense at even strength.

If Giroux or Nodl were more developed and ready to step into the top 6 than I would be all for it....

I understand that most people thing "defense wins championships" but without Briere and then without Lupul as well, our depth at forward is seriously low....

I doubt you are going to win a cup with Metro, Powe, Kalinski, Nodl or Grioux (at least at this point in their careers) in your top 8-9 forwards.

Old
01-22-2009, 12:07 PM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

vCash: 955
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonkers View Post
The ducks are 2-6 in their last 8 including losses to LA, TB and NYI. The west playoff race is a brawl and the Ducks seem to be slipping badly.
Fair enough. Yet they're still tied for 6th in the Western Conference.

Trading Pronger would be an admission by the Ducks that they don't want to compete for a Cup this year. If they're in the top 8, or just a few points below, come the trade deadline, I can't see Anaheim letting Pronger go.

Old
01-22-2009, 12:10 PM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFlyer88 View Post
Fair enough. Yet they're still tied for 6th in the Western Conference.

Trading Pronger would be an admission by the Ducks that they don't want to compete for a Cup this year. If they're in the top 8, or just a few points below, come the trade deadline, I can't see Anaheim letting Pronger go.
Dont they get some cap relief next year from Nieds, Selanne and Morrison???

Old
01-22-2009, 12:12 PM
Ex Storm
Dig out your soul...

If we can do it without hurting our forwards, then yes, I absolutely want Chris Pronger. Without Briere + trading someone like Lupul, I think the forwards start to look weak.

Old
01-22-2009, 12:28 PM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

vCash: 955
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedifr View Post
Dont they get some cap relief next year from Nieds, Selanne and Morrison???
Selanne is signed through next season at a reasonable $2.625 Million.

I just looked up their payroll on the Irish Blues website and I see that Pronger is the only defenseman the Ducks have signed for next season.

Anaheim has a lot of money coming off the books this July (Morrison, both Niedermayers, Marchant, Pahlsson, Moen, Parros, all defensemen save Pronger). They certainly have holes to fill, but I don't see how management would be able to justify trading Pronger when they're in the thick of a playoff race, especially if the return isn't immediate help.

Old
01-22-2009, 12:31 PM
bdemz

cap?

that's why I asked about what do we save in cap with Briere in LTIR....

Old
01-22-2009, 12:33 PM
flyguy
Sean Cubeturier

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to flyguy
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosof99 View Post
I think I'm an outsider here but I don't really want Pronger on the Flyers. I think he's a dick.
I agree with this sentiment actually

Old
01-22-2009, 12:46 PM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFlyer88 View Post
Selanne is signed through next season at a reasonable $2.625 Million.

I just looked up their payroll on the Irish Blues website and I see that Pronger is the only defenseman the Ducks have signed for next season.

Anaheim has a lot of money coming off the books this July (Morrison, both Niedermayers, Marchant, Pahlsson, Moen, Parros, all defensemen save Pronger). They certainly have holes to fill, but I don't see how management would be able to justify trading Pronger when they're in the thick of a playoff race, especially if the return isn't immediate help.
Thats what I thought.....Then they have no reason to trade Pronger, even if they end up not making the playoffs this year or he demands it. They can get two good dmen for the price of Nieds next year.....They can get a good 2nd line center for the price of marchant/morrison and fill in the rest of the roster with young guys and role players.

If they trade anyone it should prob be Niedermayer

Old
01-22-2009, 12:48 PM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dig Out Your Soul View Post
If we can do it without hurting our forwards, then yes, I absolutely want Chris Pronger. Without Briere + trading someone like Lupul, I think the forwards start to look weak.
Exactly my point...This would essentially be your roster I guess (cobinati

Gagne Richards Knuble
Hartnell Carter Giroux
Kalinski/Nodl Metro Upshall
Cote Powe Asham

With or without Pronger, I do NOT like that lineup if we are trying to win a cup. Giroux isnt ready yet

Old
01-22-2009, 12:52 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedifr View Post
Exactly my point...This would essentially be your roster I guess (cobinati

Gagne Richards Knuble
Hartnell Carter Giroux
Kalinski/Nodl Metro Upshall
Cote Powe Asham

With or without Pronger, I do NOT like that lineup if we are trying to win a cup. Giroux isnt ready yet

Id be more propelled to do it if Briere was a sure thing for playoffs.

Old
01-22-2009, 12:56 PM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Id be more propelled to do it if Briere was a sure thing for playoffs.
I would too.... If Briere's health wasnt an issue and we dont have to give up TOO much to get him, I would be all for it.

Could we do it without giving up Parent??? They need to take some money back if they traded him here maybe we can do like JVR, Carle and a pick or mid level prospect for him.....Then dump Jones either to another team or the minors

Pronger Vaananen
Coburn Timonen
who cares and who cares

Old
01-22-2009, 01:14 PM
bishop12
Ovyously

I hate Philly and love Pronger....but Pronger is a total Flyer...and he'd be a monster back there for you guys.

Old
01-22-2009, 01:21 PM
flyersfan187

Send a message via AIM to flyersfan187 Send a message via Skype™ to flyersfan187
Quote:
I think I'm an outsider here but I don't really want Pronger on the Flyers. I think he's a dick.
Agreed

Old
01-22-2009, 01:25 PM
Opus

Quote:
So is Hatcher and we miss his presence.

Old
01-22-2009, 01:28 PM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

I don't see it happening. Too much of a cap hit and next year what happens?

Old
01-22-2009, 01:38 PM
LEIFey
Context Matters!

Send a message via AIM to LEIFey
love the guy as a player, but we can't afford to add another high salary without shipping one back, and that would be too much of a price to pay in my opinion.

Old
01-22-2009, 01:40 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

I would deal JVR for a Cup.
I dont care. you do it.
to make it work salary cap wise, the Flyers would have to deal some salary.

hypothetically something like

Knuble,Jones,JVR,Parent, a 1st in 2009, 3rd in 09 and a conditional 1st in 2010 if the Flyers won the Cup.
if the Flyers traded for Pronger and won the Cup, I would put up with 10 years of mediocroty.

Old
01-22-2009, 01:46 PM
LEIFey
Context Matters!

Send a message via AIM to LEIFey
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireStevensDotCom View Post
I would deal JVR for a Cup.
I dont care. you do it.
to make it work salary cap wise, the Flyers would have to deal some salary.

hypothetically something like

Knuble,Jones,JVR,Parent, a 1st in 2009, 3rd in 09 and a conditional 1st in 2010 if the Flyers won the Cup.
if the Flyers traded for Pronger and won the Cup, I would put up with 10 years of mediocroty.
i don't think i'd regret that kind of deal if it paid off with a cup.

Old
01-22-2009, 01:47 PM
bdemz

article

With just four wins in their last 10 games, the Anaheim Ducks have fallen down the standings and find themselves just two points out of the playoff picture.
According to various reports, the Ducks are considering the possibility of dealing away superstar defenseman Chris Pronger.

During Hockeycentral at Noon on Toronto sports radio station The Fan590, hockey insider Nick Kypreos indicated that the Ducks will trade Pronger at some point this season, especially if the team falls lower down the standings.

"He's getting traded," said Kypreos, who is a hockey analyst for Rogers Sportsnet. "If they miss the playoffs, he's done."

Pronger, 34, is making $6.25 million this year and can become an unrestricted free agent after the 2009-10 season.

From the Editor: I was supposed to be in Montreal today, but because of a last minute change of plans, I'll be there tomorrow for All-Star Game/weekend coverage for TFP and NBC. Anyway, I figured I'd comment on this one here quickly. I have heard some rumblings over this possibility, but didn't think too much of it. From the sounds of things, the Ducks are definitely considering this option. With so much competition in the West right now, if the Ducks completely fall over the next few weeks, this option becomes greater and great for this team. -- David Pagnotta.

Old
01-22-2009, 01:57 PM
bdemz

Rathje and Hatcher

When do they come off the books?

Old
01-22-2009, 02:07 PM
chaosof99*

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdemz View Post
When do they come off the books?
Hatcher's contract ends this season, Rathje's next.

Old
01-22-2009, 02:11 PM
txpd

When I heard this Pronger out of Anaheim stuff start up, I immediately thought of the Flyers. I am almost certain that, if they could clear the caps space, the Flyers would outbid anyone to get Pronger. It might well be a huge over payment to do it, but I am convinced the Flyers would pay it.

I think its going to cost more than your talking about so far, though.

Closed Thread