HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

hockey rash

Old
01-21-2009, 09:45 AM
xstartxtodayx

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nullterm View Post
One thing to try, don't use dryer sheets. They coat clothes with whatever it is that makes clothes smell good. It's an additional problem with UA and related clothing, as this can clog up the ability of the clothing to draw sweat/moisture away from your body.
Liquid fabric softener isn't good either as it will affect the fabric as well. One great alternative that I just found out about are "dryer balls". I'm not sure they're actual name or where you even get them but they're a safe, non-chemical alternative to fabric softener sheets. They look like rubber tennis balls w/ knobby things on them (almost like a dog toy of some sort to be honest)... I just visited my parents in FL and did some laundry while I was there, my mom had them and said she loves them, I must say they did a really good job on my Fred Perry shirts

xstartxtodayx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2009, 11:16 AM
Joe Cole

Quote:
Originally Posted by UserName View Post
update!

went to the doctor, mild eczema (apparently a genetic condition, affects people with sensitive skin and allergies, i have both) prescribed "metaderm", can already see noticeable difference, redness, swelling and itchy-ness has gone down tremendously. Now i just have to not scratch it. :@:@:@:@!
Brother, I have been in the same boat as you for years. So much that I quit hockey for a while.

I had seen tons of Dermatologists. All prescribed stuff that was great short term, then came back after your skin got used to it. Plus most Cortizone creams make your skin thinner an sensitive.

Then I got a good dermatologist. The same one that treats the Montreal Canadiens. Good knows these guys have the worst conditions. Always in sweaty equipement.

He prescribed Ultravate. It changed my life. I have been using it for 10 years now. Freaking great. I need another type of cream for my face, and it is much less effective, but still, controllable.

During hockey season, there is always some irritation, but now, it is soooo much better and completely liveable. I work as a Regional Sales Director and meet lots of high end clients, I cannot look like a walking sore.

This stuff allowed me to play the game I love, and also have a life.

Check it out. It may work for you as well.

Ultravate

Joe Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2009, 01:58 PM
Gino 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Cole View Post
Brother, I have been in the same boat as you for years. So much that I quit hockey for a while.

I had seen tons of Dermatologists. All prescribed stuff that was great short term, then came back after your skin got used to it. Plus most Cortizone creams make your skin thinner an sensitive.

Then I got a good dermatologist. The same one that treats the Montreal Canadiens. Good knows these guys have the worst conditions. Always in sweaty equipement.

He prescribed Ultravate. It changed my life. I have been using it for 10 years now. Freaking great. I need another type of cream for my face, and it is much less effective, but still, controllable.

During hockey season, there is always some irritation, but now, it is soooo much better and completely liveable. I work as a Regional Sales Director and meet lots of high end clients, I cannot look like a walking sore.

Ultravate
It appears that both drugs are fairly similar, both corticosteroids, just different brand names. corticostreoid brand names

Gino 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2009, 07:45 PM
UserName

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Cole View Post

Ultravate
its looking much better and the cream seems to be working good.

the weird thing is, during the summer when i downhill mountain bike. i wear upper body armour (chest plate, elbowpads, spinal protector) and leg pads all the time and i never get any signs of eczema or itchyness. i also sweat much more when i mountain bike up and down a mountain and there is much more repetitive rubbing of the same spots.

my condition seems to disappear over the summer and recur during the dry winters.

UserName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2009, 08:08 PM
DevilsFan38

Quote:

the weird thing is, during the summer when i downhill mountain bike. i wear upper body armour (chest plate, elbowpads, spinal protector) and leg pads all the time and i never get any signs of eczema or itchyness. i also sweat much more when i mountain bike up and down a mountain and there is much more repetitive rubbing of the same spots.

my condition seems to disappear over the summer and recur during the dry winters.
What about moisturizer?

DevilsFan38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2009, 09:35 PM
saveourpens

In high school, for a month I had rashes all over my body... chin, thighs, legs, feet, chest, hands... I washed all my stuff with baking soda, got new gloves and all was better.

saveourpens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2009, 09:44 PM
BadHammy*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD View Post
DO NOT DO THIS....lysol is not intended for direct contact with your skin.

Because of the incident of some very nasty critters out there....SEEK MEDICAL ATTENTION ASAP. What starts as a rash and going untreated for as short as 5-7 days can take your life.

Whats up with that CPTJEFF? in the other hockey injury post you rip the guy telling him to consult a doctor and here in this post its no big deal. Youth athletes are ending up DEAD from untreated rashes (MRSA)!

In a perfect world...

Last edited by BadHammy*: 01-21-2009 at 09:51 PM.
BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2009, 09:49 AM
iamjs
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptjeff View Post
Bacteria is what's causing it. Staph is a good bet.

Alcohol spray, and then keep it dry. Dry it after every game. And an undershirt. Reebok stuff isn't too expensive, I recommend a compression shirt. Short or long sleeve, both work.

My RBK compression shirt ran me $10.

iamjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2009, 09:50 AM
EmptyNetter

Quote:

That makes total sense. The more you expose your skin to the cold the more dry and cracked it will become and the easier it is for harmful bacteria to gain a foothold. Each skin layer is a level of defense and the deeper you go the thinner the layer is. The deeper the bacteria gets the more damage it does. Chances are you don't have the same dry skin in summer that you have in winter so it's not as likely to get under your skin.

BTW, it's a very good idea to cover up any cuts or abrasions before putting on hockey gear -- if the bacteria has free access to your bloodstream you could have a serious problem on your hands.

EmptyNetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2009, 02:16 PM
Joe Cole

Quote:

Same here. Damn bad skin. I blame my father

The one thing that also helps in the summer is a lot of sunshine and salt/chlorine from swimming. I wonder if tanning beds would be beneficial....

Joe Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2009, 06:16 PM
MikeD

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourthliner View Post
In a perfect world...
I am willing to bet that any store that stocks Lysol also has Isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol. Ounce per ounce the alcohol is 1/10 the cost of lysol and is safe for the external use where as LYSOL provides specific warning to avoid skin exposure. It has nothing to do with being in a perfect world and everything to do with using common sense. Many of the common household chemicals we all take for granted would be considered hazardous chemicals requiring specific PPE(personal Protective Equipment) if used in an industrial setting! Reading a products consumer label doesnt hurt,either.

A former co-worked had battled Eczema for his entire life. The zinc cream offered great help and he had prescribed tanning sessions during the winter months(Buffalo NY). He felt that the tanning bed sessions not only impoved his skin condition but also helped his emotional state, feeling less depressed during the dark winter months. Health insurance picked up the tab.

MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2016, 09:39 PM
Tim
Rookie User

I just got it and now my skin is cracking. It feels like fire and I know it's not sunburn because it happened during playoffs

Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2016, 01:09 PM
mbhhofr

Tom Reid, Minnesota North Stars.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports...506-story.html

http://northstarslegends.blogspot.co.../tom-reid.html

mbhhofr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2016, 06:54 PM
STC

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbhhofr View Post

One summer away at hockey camp I came down with the gunk. Got so bad my eye swelled shut. Ever since then I"ve worn long underwear and nowadays underarmor and haven't had a problem since.

STC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2016, 07:35 AM
Fremitus Borealis
Flügelstürmer.

Knock on wood, I've never had any problems. I always wear a long sleeve moisture-wicking shirt and knee-length soccer socks, and wash these after games, while only rinsing my equipment like once per season. I air my stuff out a lot, too, which probably helps keep bacteria from building up. Some guys seem to only ever take their **** out of their bag right before game time, and you can practically smell them coming from the parking lot.

Fremitus Borealis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2016, 01:34 PM
IslesZoso

The young goalie for Pitt, Matt Murray, has a really bad case of the rash. Look at his forehead and neck areas.

IslesZoso is offline   Reply With Quote