HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Maltesehockey lace-bite pads. (MikeD or headcoach) Need some help please.

Old
01-19-2009, 04:33 PM
qwertysac

vCash: 500
Maltesehockey lace-bite pads. (MikeD or headcoach) Need some help please.

A friend of mine constantly gets severe lace-bite to the point where he can't skate and has to stay off the ice for weeks. There's bumps on his ankle that suggest he might even has some calcium deposit.

Now i know i've seen both of you (headcoach and mikeD) highly recommend the maltese GPS lacebite pads and since both of you always tend to give such good advice and i trust your opinions, i admit even without having any problems myself, i considered giving these a shot just for the added comfort.

I took a look at the website: http://maltesehockey.com/zencart/ind...products_id=15

My questions are, first and foremost, the website looks like it hasn't really been maintained in a while, so is this company still active or have they gone out of business?

Secondly, i live in Montreal, Canada. Do they ship to Canada or internationally? If not is there anywhere else i could get my hands on their lace-bite pads?

Any help or info would be appreciated, Thanks guys.

Last edited by qwertysac: 01-19-2009 at 08:13 PM.
qwertysac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2009, 08:04 PM
ModSquad

Is he getting lace bite on the top of the foot?

Or is it an ankle problem?

Or is it Haglund's?

If it's the top of the foot, you could use the gel pad or a Bunga pad. If it's the ankle, then a Bunga. If it's Haglund's then the boot needs to be modified and that issue taken care of.

ModSquad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2009, 08:26 PM
qwertysac

The problem is with his ankle, the pain is coming from the lower area in front of his ankle, right near the last lace eyelet on his skates. Not on top of the foot or near the toes.

It's definitely not haglunds though.

Thanks for the reply

Old
01-20-2009, 07:42 AM
pfloyd75

The company is still active- I bought a combo collar/sternum pad from them recently (I'm a goalie) and I absolutely adore it. I've been thinking about getting the lace bite pads as well. I am also fairly certain that they ship to Canada. If you want more reviews about their stuff or want to ask questions about it, look here: http://www.goaliestore.com/board/index.php and look in the equipment sections. The owner of Maltese is actually a poster there and is pretty good about answering questions about his stuff.

pfloyd75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2009, 02:03 PM
TBLfan

Send a message via AIM to TBLfan
They are still selling the pads.

TBLfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2009, 07:35 PM
MikeD

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfloyd75 View Post
The owner of Maltese is actually a poster there and is pretty good about answering questions about his stuff.

Phil is also a member here.

Yes, Maltese Hockey is still very much in business. The GPS lace bite pad is worn between the tongue of the skate and top of the foot but it also has impact in other areas. With the Gel in place, tightening the skates is a bit different. I find that I do not have to go nearly as tight to get that solid integrated feel from my skates. In turn I dont get the ankle pressure points from the boot. I think they are a great product and wouldnt want to return to skates with out them.

Yes, he can ship to Canada but you may incur a BROKERS FEE and will have to pay the tax on the declared value of the product in some cases. You can contact Maltese hockey directly phil@maltesehockey.com . If shipping is a problem and you do want a set, drop me a PM. I can get around all the brokers fee and tax nonsense very easily.

MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2009, 10:51 PM
qwertysac

Thank you MikeD and everyone else for all the info and help.

My friend just ordered the pads. Shipping shouldn't be a problem at all.

Thank you.

Old
01-21-2009, 12:40 PM
Headcoach

Send a message via AIM to Headcoach Send a message via MSN to Headcoach Send a message via Yahoo to Headcoach
Quote:
Originally Posted by qwertysac View Post
The problem is with his ankle, the pain is coming from the lower area in front of his ankle, right near the last lace eyelet on his skates. Not on top of the foot or near the toes.

It's definitely not haglunds though.

Thanks for the reply
The Lace Bite pads would be great. However, I found that I had to go up a size in Laces to make a little room for my lace bites. They are very comfortable.

One of the thinks that he can do is make sure that he unlaces the boot before he pulls his foot out. Some times players are in a hurry to get off the skates and pull that muscle at the top of the foot and that will have you out of the game for weeks.

Second, be careful how he laces up the skate. For me, I leave the bottom four eyelets loose, so I can move the laces up and down. Then, I only tighten the top eyelets around my ankle. This helps me from cutting off blood circulation to the foot. You can always tell when this happens when you get a sharp knife pain in you "in step", that when you know it's too tight.

On a different note, I been having problems with my helmet, it was kind of hurting after I skated for a while. Even though I have an adjustable helmet that I can change on the fly, the cushion within the helmet is pretty hard.

So, I sent it into Maltese and they lined my helmet with gel pads. Now it doesn't hurt and is great to wear! Just food for thought. They are held in with velcro, so if one goes bad, I can change it out and replace it, rather then going out and buying a new helmet. Now, I will never get rid of my helmet, it just too comfortable.

Head coach

Last edited by Headcoach: 01-21-2009 at 12:48 PM.
Headcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2009, 07:04 PM
MikeD

I hear ya on the helmet issue. Last week, after my sons practice, the pick up guys who had rented the ice were missing a goalie. My Son was too tired from his practice but offered up his gear so I filled the net. I am going to begin active coaching so will be forced to purchase a player helmet. I will be sure to upgrade it to the gel interior. As for going bad, mine are at least 6 to 8 years old and you cant tell them from the brand new set sitting here waiting to go into my sons new mask. My son has had the gel in his masks for the last 3 or 4 seasons and has never needed a replacement. The only reason I baught a new set for his new mask was because I want the gel to go with the Stacey Jr Pro when it finds a new home.

His mask is a custom Stacey Space Tech Mach10H with the latest staycool liner. We havent put in the Maltese gel yet since it is mid season and do not want to harm his game performance while we tweak the fit. Having worn my mask for the past 6 or 8 years with gel only, there was a world of a difference. Shots to the mask caused HUGE ringing in my ears and it was significantly hotter. You could also feel the impact with out the gel to attenuate the energy transmission, not that the shots hurt at all(other than the ears rining. Sweat also managed to get into my eyes, which I havent experienced since putting the Gel in my own mask. I couldnt wait to get off the ice and get that mask off. In all fairness, its a great mask but didnt fit me very well. It will be an even better mask once we strip out its interior and install the gel, like in his previous Stacey Jr Pro. While it may end up a few ounces heavier, the benefit of improved impact protection, cooler interior, sweat control and the elimination of that ear ringing impact noise are more than an even trade.

Goalies and helmet/mask manufacturers who are so stuck on the "lighter is better" are missing out on the best product to seriously improve a goal mask since goalies started wearing them. It simply can not be beat by any other interior. Honestly, this product would likely bring the sharpest reduction in the incident of concussion, given its properties in attenuating impact forces. I would gladly supply a set of the gel to any who have access to test the protection levels of the product in a scientific setting. Having left the auto industry, I no longer have that access.

Last edited by MikeD: 01-21-2009 at 07:11 PM.
Old
01-21-2009, 08:12 PM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

Well, a lot of companies would agree with you. High end player helmets these days usually have gel padding.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2009, 07:39 PM
MikeD

a few use a gel product much like a Dr Scholl's Foot/heal shoe insert. That product cant begin to compare to the medical grade gel offered exlusively through Maltese Hockey Products. Its like comparing a Crab Apple and a Golden Delicious. Those companies have inserted small areas of the inferior product as more of a comfort item added to their existing foam interiors. Maltese Gel has the ability to be the ENTIRE interior, completely foamless, while offering a higher level of protection than any other available. No other can do so as a stand alone.

Last edited by MikeD: 01-22-2009 at 07:44 PM.
Old
01-22-2009, 08:01 PM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

No, they're really using real gel exclusively. It's a memory gel, very different from the Dr. Sholl's stuff (I have a pair of the insoles and a 1052 helmet with Gel padding). There is a hard foam for impact absorption, but the padding itself that you feel is gel. And really, there's no way to replace traditional foam padding with gel due to shell size unless it's really thick. Player helmets are different then goalie masks. They're not made to block shots, they're made to absorb impacts, which means a lot more thickness in padding. Looking at what that site offers, there's no way in hell you're replacing the padding on any player helmet completely.

http://www.hockeymonkey.com/mission-...ehelmetsr.html
Look, real gel padding. Not this foam: http://www.hockeymonkey.com/ccm-hockey-helmet-692.html

You'd be pleasantly surprised with the higher end stuff.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote