HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

are yashin and modano..

Closed Thread

Old
08-06-2004, 06:12 PM
DRL
Streak killers!

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to DRL Send a message via Yahoo to DRL
are yashin and modano..

still capable of putting 80+ points on the board next year or are both on a severe decline?

Old
08-06-2004, 07:24 PM
Vincent Vega
GGTK

I'd say both could...I say Modano will...Yashin has the talent to do it but I dont think he will.

Old
08-06-2004, 07:54 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

I don't think yashin will either, especially if the Isles fail to find him decent linemates.

Old
08-06-2004, 07:58 PM
anguscertified
HFB Partner

Modano will do great next year. He is an elite player, who had a down year. Still probably best two way player in the game (fedorov a close second)

Old
08-06-2004, 08:10 PM
CanoeRider

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtuzzi21
Modano will do great next year. He is an elite player, who had a down year. Still probably best two way player in the game (fedorov a close second)
i dont think you can say that he's the best two way forward. Maybe putting up points, two-way forwards are judged differently than different forwards. I would say that these two players are two-way forwards, that have the skills of 1st line players.

In regards to the question, do they have the talent? Absolutely. But I see only Modano capable of doing so. Its been a few years since Yashin has hit 80points

Old
08-06-2004, 08:28 PM
Zine

I think what's often overlooked is Modano's age. He'll be 34 this upcoming season(15th year). While he's certainly capable of another 80 points, he's getting near the age range where player's numbers start to drop.

Old
08-07-2004, 01:44 AM
Ajacied
Remember #9

Quote:
I agree.. Modano's had his first bad year in his entire 15 year career, that's exceptional. Considering how it was caused due to off-ice problems rather than a decline in skills, I can't come up with a reason he won't score his usual ppg next season. He's been one of the most consistant and reliable producers in the NHL over the past decade. Then again, he is currently pissed Hull signed with Phoenix and so will yet again play with either defensive minded line-mates (Barnes, DiMaio, Lehtinen) or with rookies (Ott, Miettinen, Svoboda, Lessard)..

I also don't see how you can mention these two together in this question. Yashin has been going downhill, point wise, for 3 straight seasons now, whereas Modano had 85 points last year, including 57 assists which was 3 shy of his career high.

Old
08-07-2004, 06:56 AM
Law Dawg

I'll be in the minority and say that neither will be breaking the 80 point plateau next season .....

Old
08-07-2004, 07:11 AM
mattihp

I'll say that Yashin will end up having close to 50 points and Modano having 78 points.

Old
08-07-2004, 12:23 PM
MBJets

Who's better

Quote:
Still the best two way player in the game/ Have you heard of a guy call Joe Sakic

Old
08-07-2004, 12:31 PM
Ajacied
Remember #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBJets
Still the best two way player in the game/ Have you heard of a guy call Joe Sakic
While not a defensive liability, Joe Sakic has far less defensive responsibilities than Mike Modano. Hence, Mike also plays with defensive minded linemates, not Paul Kariya/Alex Tanguay/Teemu Selanne/Milan Hedjuk or Peter Forsberg. Further more, Modano uses the size advantage he has on Sakic (5'11 vs 6'3) better. However, if you'd switch the two, it would be Sakic getting more recognition for the Selke, while Modano becomes a top 5 scorer.

Old
08-07-2004, 12:44 PM
MBJets

Straight up who would you want Joe Sakic or Mike Modano line mates a side. In the biggest stage in the world in Salt Lake, who was the best by a mile. Sakic Sakic Sakic and Sakic

Closed Thread