HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Hockey Gladiators is a go for launch

Closed Thread

Old
08-07-2004, 04:44 AM
Le Golie

vCash: 500
Hockey Gladiators is a go for launch

The promoters are willing to roll the dice and possibly face jail time, deciding to go ahead with the show and let the courts decide if it's legal.

http://www.canoe.ca/NewsStand/Winnip...07/572048.html

Old
08-07-2004, 01:29 PM
Maxpac

How can it not be legal? Boxing is legal! UFC is leagal! Comon, jail time!

Old
08-07-2004, 01:38 PM
Epsilon
#TeamHolland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcel the great!
These sports require government regulation and approval before they can be contested. If you knew the history of UFC, you would know that they have frequently had legal difficulties obtaining the required licenses to stage their events. In boxing you will frequently hear about how some boxer (usually Mike Tyson) having problems obtaining a license in a certain state and having to move his fight to a less strict one. This is also why boxing is largely concentrated in a few areas and arenas which are visited frequently (Vegas, LA, New York, Atlantic City, etc.).

Old
08-07-2004, 02:21 PM
c-carp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcel the great!
Same question that I had how can it not be legal. That is mindboggling. I cannot wait to watch.

Old
08-07-2004, 02:22 PM
c-carp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epsilon
These sports require government regulation and approval before they can be contested. If you knew the history of UFC, you would know that they have frequently had legal difficulties obtaining the required licenses to stage their events. In boxing you will frequently hear about how some boxer (usually Mike Tyson) having problems obtaining a license in a certain state and having to move his fight to a less strict one. This is also why boxing is largely concentrated in a few areas and arenas which are visited frequently (Vegas, LA, New York, Atlantic City, etc.).
Fair points but I still think that if Boxing and UFC can get licenced this event should have no problem getting licenced.

Old
08-07-2004, 02:26 PM
ehc73

Send a message via ICQ to ehc73
http://www.canlii.org/ca/sta/c-46/sec83.html
Quote:
Criminal Code
PART II OFFENCES AGAINST PUBLIC ORDER
Prize Fights

Engaging in prize fight

83. (1) Every one who

(a) engages as a principal in a prize fight,

(b) advises, encourages or promotes a prize fight, or

(c) is present at a prize fight as an aid, second, surgeon, umpire, backer or reporter,

is guilty of an offence punishable on summary conviction.

Definition of "prize fight"

(2) In this section, "prize fight" means an encounter or fight with fists or hands between two persons who have met for that purpose by previous arrangement made by or for them, but a boxing contest between amateur sportsmen, where the contestants wear boxing gloves of not less than one hundred and forty grams each in mass, or any boxing contest held with the permission or under the authority of an athletic board or commission or similar body established by or under the authority of the legislature of a province for the control of sport within the province, shall be deemed not to be a prize fight.

R.S., 1985, c. C-46, s. 83; R.S., 1985, c. 27 (1st Supp.), s. 186.
So boxing is legal because it's regulated by an athletic board and the fighters are wearing gloves.

Old
08-07-2004, 02:27 PM
Benji Frank

If you read the article, it's not a definite go. The organizers are willing to take the chaNCE, but the WPG arena and it's management isn't. They'll likely rule Monday whether or not they'll allow it WPG Arena.......

Ticket sales are quite brutal.... Logon at slect-a-seat and you can still get center ice row 2 for Friday night and center ice row 16 for Saturday!!!

My bet is it'll be cancelled on Monday.....

Old
08-07-2004, 02:28 PM
c-carp

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehc73
http://www.canlii.org/ca/sta/c-46/sec83.html

So boxing is legal because it's regulated by an athletic board and the fighters are wearing gloves.
I am not a lawyer so I cannot get into the legal stuff I will finish my thoughts here by saying I hope they figure out a way to make this a go because cancelling it would be stupid.

Closed Thread