HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Toronto's Available Players

Old
01-23-2009, 12:21 PM
TaketheCannoli
RIP

vCash: 500
Toronto's Available Players

Considering there are so many Leafs trade proposals on the boards, I thought it would be fun to list each guy you think will be traded and what Burke gets for them. Then on March 5th, we can compare and see how close we all come.

According to the Toronto Star, forwards Nik Antropov, Jason Blake and Alexei Ponikarovsky, defensemen Pavel Kubina and Tomas Kaberle, and goalie Vesa Toskala are expected to be moved this season.

Who do you think they end up trading? For what?

Last edited by TaketheCannoli: 01-23-2009 at 12:31 PM.
TaketheCannoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2009, 12:52 PM
Nizdizzle
Salary cap? Huh?

Alright I'll set the record on my thoughts on if people are traded.

Antropov: late 1st
Poni: 2nd + late rounder
Kaberle: 1st + young roster player (Think someone around value of Zajac, not him specifically but similar potential) + mid level prospect
Kubina: 1st + mid level prospect

These are the only real significant parts I see moving. Don't argue my predictions because I won't defend them, just a record for if I trade goes down so people can "I told you so".

Nizdizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2009, 01:08 PM
Machinae

Kubina - Decent pick (Not a first), decent prospect (Probably one with size) and some salary.

Kaberle - 1st round pick is absolutely crucial, as is a prospect. Anything else is gravy. Possible salary coming back.

Van Ryn - Unlikely to move do to being injured, but did play very well for the early season Leafs (the ones that tried!). 2nd and 4th is very possible, although he may be too much of a gamble for most teams considering his salary. Comparable to Kubina, probably better, north american, cheaper, but has less value. Keep him and trade Kubina if possible.

Antropov - 1st and a roster player, or prospect. He will be a valuable commodity not only because is a good player but because he is a UFA and he is cheap now, any team can fit him under the cap and if they don't want him past this year they don't have to keep him.

Ponikarovsky - Similar to Antropov, except signed an extra year. 2nd and 3rd is entirely possible. 20 goal scorer with size and speed, fits anywhere in your top 9 and is cheap. Good value.

Mayers - Leadership, grit, toughness, balls of steel, PK ability and some hands (although he has not shown it for the Leafs). 3rd round pick, maybe a 3rd and a later pick. Could possibly garner a 2nd.

Moore - Fast, gives his all every shift and good at faceoffs. Great defensively and chips in offensively. Could bring in similar picks to Mayers.

Machinae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2009, 01:13 PM
Bunter McVirtanen

Kaberle for Grabner, Pyatt, 1st

Grabner is a top prospect, 1 1st likely to be in the top 20, and a salary dump.

Bunter McVirtanen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2009, 01:26 PM
sgupca

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpitfireCrayn View Post
Kubina - Decent pick (Not a first), decent prospect (Probably one with size) and some salary.

Kaberle - 1st round pick is absolutely crucial, as is a prospect. Anything else is gravy. Possible salary coming back.

Van Ryn - Unlikely to move do to being injured, but did play very well for the early season Leafs (the ones that tried!). 2nd and 4th is very possible, although he may be too much of a gamble for most teams considering his salary. Comparable to Kubina, probably better, north american, cheaper, but has less value. Keep him and trade Kubina if possible.

Antropov - 1st and a roster player, or prospect. He will be a valuable commodity not only because is a good player but because he is a UFA and he is cheap now, any team can fit him under the cap and if they don't want him past this year they don't have to keep him.

Ponikarovsky - Similar to Antropov, except signed an extra year. 2nd and 3rd is entirely possible. 20 goal scorer with size and speed, fits anywhere in your top 9 and is cheap. Good value.

Mayers - Leadership, grit, toughness, balls of steel, PK ability and some hands (although he has not shown it for the Leafs). 3rd round pick, maybe a 3rd and a later pick. Could possibly garner a 2nd.

Moore - Fast, gives his all every shift and good at faceoffs. Great defensively and chips in offensively. Could bring in similar picks to Mayers.

I usually agree with NOTHING you post, but this isn't too far off...lol

I'd only change the Kubina trade. I think he gets a 1st + prospect, or a high level prospect + 2nd + 5th

sgupca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2009, 01:27 PM
sgupca

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddbertuzzi712 View Post
Kaberle for Grabner, Pyatt, 1st

Grabner is a top prospect, 1 1st likely to be in the top 20, and a salary dump.
Not bad,

But for us too take Pyatt (as a dump) you'd have to toss in another pick. Probably a 2nd or 3rd

sgupca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2009, 01:30 PM
mcphllp
Dion @ 6.5=Discount

Quote:

Ya, but I dont want to trade Moore. Hes great.

mcphllp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2009, 01:37 PM
Machinae

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphllp View Post
Ya, but I dont want to trade Moore. Hes great.
Agreed, but he is a movable asset.

Old
01-23-2009, 01:50 PM
embracedbias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan311 View Post

Antropov: late 1st
Poni: 2nd + late rounder
Kaberle: 1st + young roster player (Think someone around value of Zajac, not him specifically but similar potential) + mid level prospect
Kubina: 1st + mid level prospect

These are the only real significant parts I see moving. Don't argue my predictions because I won't defend them, just a record for if I trade goes down so people can "I told you so".
I'm thinking that it would be more likely that Kaberle would get a 1st + young roster player (someone of less value of Zajac since most teams in position to get Kaberle won't be all that disposed to give up an important contributing player) + HIGH level prospect (not necessarily Ryan or Voracek, but still high level.. like Colborne, Howard or Tikhonov for example).

embracedbias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2009, 01:57 PM
Modo
Global Moderator
Mo'Benn

vCash: 582
Burke has publicly said the only unavailable asset is Luke Schenn. That means everyone else is fair game.

And I don't feel like doing that much speculating.

Modo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2009, 01:59 PM
Bunter McVirtanen

Quote:
Originally Posted by embracedbias View Post
I'm thinking that it would be more likely that Kaberle would get a 1st + young roster player (someone of less value of Zajac since most teams in position to get Kaberle won't be all that disposed to give up an important contributing player) + HIGH level prospect (not necessarily Ryan or Voracek, but still high level.. like Colborne, Howard or Tikhonov for example).
I think something like Grabner, Raymond, 1st for Kaberle, White would be a fair deal for both sides. TOR picks up 2 top level prospects and a top pick for Kaberle and White, who has been fighting to stay in the lineup all year.

Old
01-23-2009, 02:04 PM
weems

Quote:
I think something like Grabner, Raymond, 1st for Kaberle, White would be a fair deal for both sides. TOR picks up 2 top level prospects and a top pick for Kaberle and White, who has been fighting to stay in the lineup all year.
Since when is Grabner a "top prospect"?

weems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2009, 02:15 PM
Machinae

since when has White been fighting to stay in the lineup?

He's been our best d-man at times.

Old
01-23-2009, 02:16 PM
Bunter McVirtanen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shef View Post
Since when is Grabner a "top prospect"?
Well he is a top prosepct because he is a 0.5 goals/game player in the AHL. Does that not make him a top prospect?

Old
01-23-2009, 02:19 PM
Bunter McVirtanen

Quote:
since when has White been fighting to stay in the lineup?

He's been our best d-man at times.
Then why has he played only 36 of the team's 47 games. I don't recall him being injured, so why has he missed close to 25% of the team's games?

Old
01-23-2009, 02:19 PM
P U L L H A R D

Quote:
Agreed, but he is a movable asset.
He is an asset only to the leafs. On the majority of other teams in the NHL he would be a 4th liner. E.G. Pittsburgh had him and waived him, Minnesota had him and waived him, Toronto has him and he is a hero. He fits best with the Leafs, they bring the best out in him, so why trade him?

P U L L H A R D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2009, 02:24 PM
Bunter McVirtanen

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfanatic19 View Post
He is an asset only to the leafs. On the majority of other teams in the NHL he would be a 4th liner. E.G. Pittsburgh had him and waived him, Minnesota had him and waived him, Toronto has him and he is a hero. He fits best with the Leafs, they bring the best out in him, so why trade him?
LOLLLL. Moore being able to secure second line minutes on the Leafs team tells you just how much the Leafs SUCKKK! Moore is a marginal 4th line player, yyet in TO, he is playing in all situations, wears the "A", and is sometimes even relied on as the go-to guy.

BRUTAL!

Old
01-23-2009, 02:28 PM
P U L L H A R D

Quote:
LOLLLL. Moore being able to secure second line minutes on the Leafs team tells you just how much the Leafs SUCKKK! Moore is a marginal 4th line player, yyet in TO, he is playing in all situations, wears the "A", and is sometimes even relied on as the go-to guy.

BRUTAL!
I suppose it is "brutal", but he is playing some of the best hockey of his career and he is playing pretty well. My post was not meant to bring Moore down, just to point out that what you get for Moore probably won't be worth it. (Other teams know how good/bad he is, and know that on most teams he wouldn't have the same impact for them = not getting much in return for him.)

P U L L H A R D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2009, 02:31 PM
grabo84

Moore is a very good third line centreman, nothing more or less. He plays well with Blake, so if Blake stays I'd like to see Moore stay as well.

grabo84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2009, 02:41 PM
teleman

Quote:
Then why has he played only 36 of the team's 47 games. I don't recall him being injured, so why has he missed close to 25% of the team's games?
White sat at the beginning of the season because there was a glut of defenseman and he was down the depth chart. If Fletcher had been offered a bag of onions for White he would have taken it.
White skated as a forward for a few games and looked good but due to injuries to other Leaf D he was moved back. He has consistently been one of the better performing Leaf D and if he was bigger would be a very desirable commodity in the league.
My guess is that there are a few teams that would look at White with interest based on his performance this year.
Quote:
LOLLLL. Moore being able to secure second line minutes on the Leafs team tells you just how much the Leafs SUCKKK! Moore is a marginal 4th line player, yet in TO, he is playing in all situations, wears the "A", and is sometimes even relied on as the go-to guy.

BRUTAL!
Moore hasn't been brutal with the Leafs. I don't know if he would perform as well with any other team. IMO his play picked up with the Leafs because it's his hometown team. Some players like like a bag of carp on every team they play with but then find a team that is a good fit. Moore and the Leafs is a good fit. He has elevated his game and is hard working.
I'm not sure how he would play if he was traded but as a Leaf he's earned his minutes.

teleman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2009, 02:52 PM
Machinae

Quote:

BRUTAL!
I wonder why Vancouver fans have such a personal vendetta and MUST bash the Leafs at every possible corner.

Maybe because no one cares about poor Vancouver. Or perhaps it's the fact that they can't win with our sloppy seconds. Weird.

Old
01-23-2009, 02:55 PM
embracedbias

Quote:
Add Schneider I'm thinking.. and replace White with Poni

Old
01-23-2009, 02:56 PM
embracedbias

Quote:
I wonder why Vancouver fans have such a personal vendetta and MUST bash the Leafs at every possible corner.

Maybe because no one cares about poor Vancouver. Or perhaps it's the fact that they can't win with our sloppy seconds. Weird.
Watch out, that could ruin your career.

Old
01-23-2009, 03:01 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by embracedbias View Post
Its more likely that Kaberle brings a 1st and a top prospect. A young roster player that is not yet developed into a top half the roster player or working his way into the lineup would be the same thing as a top prospect. No NHL team in the salary cap era will trade a Zajac or the like.

I also think that a 3rd asset(a second tier prospect or non first round pick) might be added and its also possible with so many playoff level teams being close against the cap that a contract may have to come along as well just to make the deal doable.

Face it, the best package of prospects and picks may be offered by teams that can't take the Kaberle deal unless they get cap relief.

txpd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2009, 03:22 PM
TaketheCannoli
RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan311 View Post

No reason to argue anyone's predictions. Each should just take their best shot at who and what's the return.It doesn't matter who else becomes sellers or buyers or how the market may or may not change.

It's to see how good we are at valuations when we can look back March 5th.

TaketheCannoli is offline   Reply With Quote