HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Trade deadline rumors and discussion thread

Closed Thread

Old
01-22-2009, 10:53 PM
dbr2
Lockout Beard

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to dbr2
On the fence about Pronger. But, I agree with everyone saying, thats exactly what we need on our blue line. I knew, lossing Hatch this season was gonna blow because, his physical presence is missed. We have zero defenseman who strike fear into forwards. I would love Ossi to become a better Hatch version. I think he needs to gain a few more pounds.

Old
01-22-2009, 10:54 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Under no circumstance should this franchise give up a first round pick for a guy who's going to be 35. If Pronger were 25, no problem. But 35? Come on, he's got about five good years of hockey left in him. The first and JVR and others are just way too much for the guy. I'd give a couple of roster players and choice of prospects. No first round picks though. Let someone else gut their farm and franchise to land Pronger.

Old
01-22-2009, 11:30 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
Under no circumstance should this franchise give up a first round pick for a guy who's going to be 35. If Pronger were 25, no problem. But 35? Come on, he's got about five good years of hockey left in him. The first and JVR and others are just way too much for the guy. I'd give a couple of roster players and choice of prospects. No first round picks though. Let someone else gut their farm and franchise to land Pronger.
yup it very well might be but if the Flyers won the Cup with Pronger, I wouldnt care.

Old
01-22-2009, 11:53 PM
DickTony

i absolutely despise chris pronger

that being said, he'd be an absolute beast in the orange and black.

Old
01-23-2009, 12:29 AM
dbr2
Lockout Beard

Send a message via AIM to dbr2
Oh yeah. Say if in someway we did land to get Pronger man! would the NHL hate us more than ever<-Mwahah.

Old
01-23-2009, 04:50 AM
BobbyClarkeFan16

I guess I'm the only one opposed to giving up a boat load to acquire Pronger. Yes, he's a very good Norris trophy caliber defenseman, but the bounty it will take just isn't worth it. A move for Pronger doesn't even guarantee a Stanley Cup. If we're going to move a bounty load for someone, I'd prefer it to be someone much younger, someone who can still give another 15 years, and most important, someone with extensive playoff experience (that eliminates J-Bo). Seriously, haven't we learned from the Lindros fiasco that demolishing the farm system and draft picks is not the way to go to build a Cup winner?

Old
01-23-2009, 06:45 AM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

I don't want him if he is going to cost the farm team. We don't need pronger to win the cup. We do need a big bruising defenseman similar to a young hatch or smith. Yes pronger would be a very nice player for the flyers and have no doubt that he's top 3 defenseman in the NHL. But i'm not prepared to throw everthing the flyers have at the moment away because he MIGHT!!!!! get us the cup. It's not a definate. What if he gets injured before the playoffs?

Old
01-23-2009, 07:36 AM
bdemz

going rate for Pronger

Probably just like others around March

young roster player (Lupul) great prospect (JVR) and a 1st

Just like Forsberg got when we traded him to Nash....

Old
01-23-2009, 07:41 AM
rayearth

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdemz View Post

Don't think Upshall and Parent are quite the same as Lupul and JVR.

Old
01-23-2009, 08:45 AM
Mota

Id do this in a heart beat if we'd have pronger long term...or atleast a few seasons after this one...but i dont think the cap will allow it. Since hed just be a rent-a-player...that not enough to give up on a guy like JVR IMO.

Old
01-23-2009, 09:21 AM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dig Out Your Soul View Post
When he actually does those things, you probably have a point. But even then, we have too many big money contracts among the forwards. It's not a terribly challenging concept. You can't have two-thirds of your cap devoted to your top 6 forwards. Other key players need contracts soon like goalies and Coburn, JVR has to be fit in for around $3M. Lupul just can't be on this team if we expect to have any depth or defense whatsoever.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
I actually was gonna quote him and comment earlier but I really didnt feel like it. You pretty much summed it up. Ill add in a few things. Horton, Staal, Gionta, and Williams shouldnt be on that list. When Lupul gets as many points (who cares if he gets 30 goals, Knuble gets 30 f'ing goals) as those other guys did, Ill acknowledge his contract. But for being a POTENIAL 30 goal scorer, and plays the pk (which 90% of our team plays) he's at the moment not worth the money, plain and simple.
I agree with both of you....and I think the point a lot of people miss about moving Lupul is that when most of say to trade Lupul, it has nothing to do with him per say, but the fact that of all the guys you would think about moving he is potentially the easiest to replace.

- Richards, Carter, Gagne, Briere (for arguments sake) are not going anywhere.
- Knuble can potentially be moved but 1) I think you really disrupt the chemistry of this team by moving him and I personally rather keep him for the rest of this season and use his money next year.

- We dont really have anyone internally to replace what Upshall and Hartnell bring to the team with Downie now gone. I like what I have seen from Kalinski and Powe but they are 4th liners in my opinion, not guys that can play on any line like Hartnell and Upshall

That leaves Lupul. We have Giroux, JVR and potentially Nodl that can bring to this team what Lupul brings us and potentially more.

Again, I like Lupul. I wouldnt mind keeping him for the rest of his career to be honest but he is going to be making $4 million next year. We can potentially easily replace him with Giroux who will still be on an entry level contract.

With that said, if Briere is gone for the rest of the year I dont think you can afford to move Lupul until the offseason.

Old
01-23-2009, 10:44 AM
CantSeeColors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mota View Post
Id do this in a heart beat if we'd have pronger long term...or atleast a few seasons after this one...but i dont think the cap will allow it. Since hed just be a rent-a-player...that not enough to give up on a guy like JVR IMO.
He wouldn't be just a rent-a-player. Pronger's signed through next year.

Old
01-23-2009, 12:19 PM
Teezax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonkers View Post
And St.Louis is?
That was before she had a choice, you obviously didn't catch the original sarcasm.

Old
01-23-2009, 01:31 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Inebriator View Post
Not sure why people look at Pronger's dirtiness as a negative. That's exactly what we need on our blueline
exactly. we dont have a dirty SOB back on the blueline. We havent had that since Hatcher went down.
We have no one to make opposing forwards pay the price down low on the blueline.

Old
01-23-2009, 01:32 PM
Hollywood Couturier

It would just look so right to see Pronger in Orange and Black

Old
01-23-2009, 01:40 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm6492 View Post
How long is Prongers contract??
6.25 million thru next season.

they have Niedermayer, Beauchemin,Hedican and Huskins coming off the books after this season on their blueline

Old
01-23-2009, 03:59 PM
Mota

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantSeeColors View Post
He wouldn't be just a rent-a-player. Pronger's signed through next year.
yeah i know. i understand how hed work this year, because this thread is 'if' briere doesnt come back this year and we have the cap space. next year though...briere will be back...and we have salary issues as it is...so i dont see how they could fit another 6.25 mil in under the cap.

Old
01-23-2009, 04:07 PM
mikedifr

Quote:
yeah i know. i understand how hed work this year, because this thread is 'if' briere doesnt come back this year and we have the cap space. next year though...briere will be back...and we have salary issues as it is...so i dont see how they could fit another 6.25 mil in under the cap.
You would have to move Carle, Jones, Lupul and would have a difficult time signing a goalie. It not likely going to work. Briere would have to be moved.

I would move Briere for Pronger, but only Pronger and a few others in the league...

Old
01-23-2009, 04:26 PM
CantSeeColors

Quote:
That's all well and good, but that means that either they move a bunch of other players or they move Pronger. Either option brings pieces back, negating the connotation that "rent-a-player" has that you give up some assets for a few months of a guy's services and never see anything from that deal ever again.

Old
01-23-2009, 05:32 PM
blah

Quote:
If they sent Lupul and Jones in a deal for him, they'd actually save 750k against next season's cap.

Lupul was well liked in Anaheim. If Anaheim actually does try to move him, which I doubt they will, I could see Philly being at the top of their list.

Old
01-23-2009, 06:03 PM
LEIFey
Context Matters!

Send a message via AIM to LEIFey
Quote:
Originally Posted by blah View Post
If they sent Lupul and Jones in a deal for him, they'd actually save 750k against next season's cap.

Lupul was well liked in Anaheim. If Anaheim actually does try to move him, which I doubt they will, I could see Philly being at the top of their list.
hah, poor lupul. traded twice for pronger

Old
01-23-2009, 06:48 PM
phlocky

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdemz View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayearth View Post
Don't think Upshall and Parent are quite the same as Lupul and JVR.
Yeah, I laugh at everyone thinking it would take JVR to land Pronger. JVR is a franchise type prospect, the 2nd overall. These players are NEVER included in deals like this at the trade deadline, possibly before the season when the player is on a good contract and under contract for a few more years but NEVER for just a cup run. Mid to late 1st rnd picks are often included but not the 2nd pick overall. Lupul, Nodl and a 1st would be plenty, there is no way in hell ANY team gives up a prospect like JVR for Pronger or anyone else. Hell Forsberg was the primere rental player in the history of the league and he only returned Nashvilles 3rd best defensive prospect. Think about that for a second, NOT EVEN FORSBERG COULD RETURN ONE OF NASHVILLES TOP 2 DEFENSIVE PROSPECTS!!!. What makes anyone think that Pronger would get more in return than Forsberg??? I'm glad that the ones talking about it costing us JVR to get Pronger aren't in position to make such trades come true because you seriously don't know what asset managment is all about. You'd get ***** by all the other GM's out there and they'd laugh their ***** off at you all the while.

Old
01-23-2009, 11:12 PM
oilsands
NHL Supertar

Pronger is the ultimate D-man, and I would love to see him in Philly. But holycap Batman!

You would need to move Briere, perhaps for very little.

Old
01-23-2009, 11:28 PM
Claude28Giroux
praiseG

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosof99 View Post
I think I'm an outsider here but I don't really want Pronger on the Flyers. I think he's a dick.
And Hatcher wasn't? IMO I miss a big ole' bully on the blue line, just this time, it wont come standard with cone mode.

Old
01-24-2009, 03:01 AM
chaosof99*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCannon View Post
And Hatcher wasn't?
I didn't say I liked Hatcher, now did I?

Closed Thread