HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Stick and Lie questions

Old
01-17-2009, 02:41 AM
spjon25

vCash: 500
Stick and Lie questions

I have been trying to find the perfect stick (you know the never ending search) and have started to see a problem. Every stick that I have picked up, I notice when I hold the stick like I would when I skate, the toe is rising up. What is an acceptable amount of toe rise on a stick when it is flat on the ground. I have liked the Lidstrom blades with the square toe, and a pro stock Ballistik hockey stick I got from PIAS (both are square toe)

If this helps, I notice that the tape has been wearing off more towards the heel (like the back 1/2 is wearing more than the front)

Sticks I am using now:

Synergy ST Grip Heatley Curve (2006-ugly orange stick)
SYnergy SC2 Forsberg curve
Pro stock Ballistik 22 Calliber
Mission Pro Stock Shaft (M-1) with a Spezza Blade

spjon25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2009, 02:44 AM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

the toe is rising up because the lie is too high. it sounds like you lean over alot when you skate and have the stick out in front of you, this means if you dont have the proper lie the toe will be up and you will see the wear on the heel because that is the part of the stick touching the ice most of the time. i reccomend getting a lower lie, maybe a 5, thjat should do it but try a few differnt lies in your ready position to see which one fits you the best

Gunnar Stahl 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2009, 06:58 AM
DevilsFan38

Like Gunnar said, you need a lower lie. I was having the same exact problem, went from lie of 6 to a lie of 5.5, and I'm much happier.

Your problem might be in finding a stick with a lower lie. If you're having that issue with the Heatley and Forsberg sticks, which are a lie of 5, that could be an problem, since there aren't many (any?) blades with a lie lower than 5. Maybe someone else can advise you on what curves might have a lower lie, because I don't know about that.

Cutting your stick shorter and carrying the puck closer to your body would also fix that problem, but you said that you're holding the stick where you like it, so that might be a last option if you can't find any blades (that was suggested to me, but like you I didn't want to change that).

Good luck!

DevilsFan38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2009, 04:01 PM
BadHammy*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsFan38 View Post
Like Gunnar said, you need a lower lie. I was having the same exact problem, went from lie of 6 to a lie of 5.5, and I'm much happier.

Your problem might be in finding a stick with a lower lie. If you're having that issue with the Heatley and Forsberg sticks, which are a lie of 5, that could be an problem, since there aren't many (any?) blades with a lie lower than 5. Maybe someone else can advise you on what curves might have a lower lie, because I don't know about that.

Cutting your stick shorter and carrying the puck closer to your body would also fix that problem, but you said that you're holding the stick where you like it, so that might be a last option if you can't find any blades (that was suggested to me, but like you I didn't want to change that).

Good luck!
I wish I could get a 4 or 4.5 universal lie, but there aren't any mass produced now.

BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2009, 05:09 PM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

honestly, imo, if you need anthing below a 5, you probably might want to look at how you skate. you arent suppsoe to be THAT leaned over

Old
01-18-2009, 01:10 AM
Stefan It Up

You can also solve your "toe rising out problem"/need a lower lie problem by cutting your stick shorter. How high does your stick go right now when you're in skates?

Stefan It Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2009, 04:08 AM
iceman_88888888

if you want a lower lie, warrior makes lies of 4 in retail. as long as you don't mind buying another stick, the dolomites come in a lie of 4 for the 'weight', 'kovalev', and the 'federov' patterns. i'm not too sure if they make a 4-lie for the other curves but those for sure. and if you use a heatley/forsberg, you can go with any of the 3 curves listed above because their curves are quite similar.

hope that helps.

iceman_88888888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2009, 12:16 PM
WickedWrister

I'm a shorter player so I need a lower lie, but how do you like the sc2 with forsberg blade?

WickedWrister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2009, 12:38 PM
Stefan It Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman_88888888 View Post
if you want a lower lie, warrior makes lies of 4 in retail. as long as you don't mind buying another stick, the dolomites come in a lie of 4 for the 'weight', 'kovalev', and the 'federov' patterns. i'm not too sure if they make a 4-lie for the other curves but those for sure. and if you use a heatley/forsberg, you can go with any of the 3 curves listed above because their curves are quite similar.

hope that helps.
You know the Warrior 4 is just a 5? Go to the store, pick one up and compare.
The warrior 5 is a 5.5 for any other brand, but the 6 is actually a 6.

Old
01-18-2009, 08:54 PM
iceman_88888888

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan It Up View Post
You know the Warrior 4 is just a 5? Go to the store, pick one up and compare.
The warrior 5 is a 5.5 for any other brand, but the 6 is actually a 6.
there's actually a bit of a quality control problem (i've found) with warrior retail sticks. you should check each stick for it's lie against an easton or nbh. some of the lies are like you stated but there are times where a 6 is a 4 and such.

or i guess the op can go online to some hockey sites and purchase pro stock models to almost guarantee a good warrior product.

Old
01-18-2009, 10:09 PM
Stefan It Up

Prostock is no guarantee of consistency. There's a reason some pro-stock items are being sold rather than used by the person who's name is on the stick.

Old
01-18-2009, 10:14 PM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

vCash: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by WickedWrister View Post
I'm a shorter player so I need a lower lie, but how do you like the sc2 with forsberg blade?
Shortness and lie have no relation. You cut the stick to adapt it to height. How bent over you skate affects lie.

Forsberg blade is fine, very common blade. SC2 is a low end stick, but fine.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2009, 11:24 PM
iceman_88888888

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan It Up View Post
Prostock is no guarantee of consistency. There's a reason some pro-stock items are being sold rather than used by the person who's name is on the stick.
the consistency is in the lie of the stick, not durability. the reason you can purchase pro-stock in online stores is for several reasons but the lie of the stick will be what is listed.

Old
01-22-2009, 05:38 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Hey somebody who know what they are talking about, please answer my question!

I just bought a "pro stock" stick off ebay. The guy didn't know the flex of the stick since it wasn't marked. I decided to buy it anyways but I was wondering if most pros use a stiffer flex? I like stiff flex sticks and am praying it isn't a whip. I guess I'll find out eventually and I'm sure I'll be able to dump it off if I don't like it but was curious of others input.

Buddy The Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2009, 05:44 PM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

its most likely a 100 flex. if you cut it, for whatever reason, the flex will get higher, or the stick stiffer

Old
01-23-2009, 12:32 AM
TBLfan

Send a message via AIM to TBLfan
Quote:
Originally Posted by drivelikejoewho View Post
Hey somebody who know what they are talking about, please answer my question!

I just bought a "pro stock" stick off ebay. The guy didn't know the flex of the stick since it wasn't marked. I decided to buy it anyways but I was wondering if most pros use a stiffer flex? I like stiff flex sticks and am praying it isn't a whip. I guess I'll find out eventually and I'm sure I'll be able to dump it off if I don't like it but was curious of others input.
It's all over the place. Brett Hull used sub-80 flex sticks. Ovechkin uses 85/87 flex sticks. Kovalev uses something like a 120 flex stick.

Was there a name on the stick? What kind of stick? Any labeled numbers?

Pro TPS sticks don't give you a number. BUT you'll see something that says RP19. That's a 95ish flex, a SP19 would be more like 105.

TBLfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2009, 08:38 AM
spjon25

Thanks for all the help with this issue. I will look at my skating and positioning next time I play to see how bent over I am.

As for the SC2, I think I should have waited until I saved some more money and bought a different stick. It is okay, but after using my Ballistik stick (a pro stock I picked up at PIAS) it seems very heavy.

spjon25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2009, 09:33 AM
stick9

spjon25 - You should go with a tapered set up so if the lie is wrong you can just swap out the blade.

I've been through this myself and I can say for sure that length does affect the lie of the blade. Try it out for yourself by choking up on your stick. Only problem, the more you cut off the stiffer it gets.

stick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2009, 11:02 AM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBLfan View Post
It's all over the place. Brett Hull used sub-80 flex sticks. Ovechkin uses 85/87 flex sticks. Kovalev uses something like a 120 flex stick.

Was there a name on the stick? What kind of stick? Any labeled numbers?

Pro TPS sticks don't give you a number. BUT you'll see something that says RP19. That's a 95ish flex, a SP19 would be more like 105.
Thanks your a big help it is a TPS stick coincidentally. I bought an RP38.. is the RP "regular" and the SP "stiff"? I've also seen SWP which I'm guessing is "Whip"?

Buddy The Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2009, 04:08 PM
TBLfan

Send a message via AIM to TBLfan
Quote:
Originally Posted by drivelikejoewho View Post
Thanks your a big help it is a TPS stick coincidentally. I bought an RP38.. is the RP "regular" and the SP "stiff"? I've also seen SWP which I'm guessing is "Whip"?
R = regular flex
P38 = pattern 38

SW = Strong whip

TBLfan is offline   Reply With Quote