HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)

Will Ales Hemsky become a superstar?

Old
01-21-2009, 03:11 PM
Phaser

vCash: 500
I think Hemsky read this thread yesterday and decided to show up everyone bashing him

But in all honesty, Hemsky is really good right now, but at the moment he is not a superstar. he is only 25 though, and I would not be surprised if in a few years he hits 90+ points (maybe 100)

And I agree that it is too early to write him off as a 70-80 point player

Phaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2009, 03:38 PM
Joey Moss
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myshkin View Post
People tried to say Hemsky is on Hossa's level. Please.

Spezza is a much better player than Hemsky ever will be, one bad year for Spezza made people forget how dominant he is.

Get real.
Why don't you get real. The post you quoted on was debating who is better defensively, Spezza or Hemsky? Can you tell me what your comment had to do with any of that? You mention Spezza's having a bad year so people think his value is down, well had Hemsky stayed healthy for 82 games he was on pace for 95 points and around 30 goals! People seem to forget or not realize this and forget how dominant he is.

This would be a better question to ask after his career year season, which is this year.

Joey Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2009, 01:32 PM
littlesthobo

Hemsky RIGHT NOW, I would consider to be in the same league as a Sedin/Kovalev/Jokinen/Kopitar/Elias/Semin.

A good first line player, while putting up a point per game, but NOT a superstar. I'd say a superstar is in the top 30-50 player in the league, and I think I could name 30-50 better players. However, he is young and does have the potential to be a Marian Hossa/Datsyuk/Spezza type.

littlesthobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2009, 02:24 PM
One Trick Pony*

Quote:
Originally Posted by senators39 View Post
Hemsky RIGHT NOW, I would consider to be in the same league as a Sedin/Kovalev/Jokinen/Kopitar/Elias/Semin.

A good first line player, while putting up a point per game, but NOT a superstar. I'd say a superstar is in the top 30-50 player in the league, and I think I could name 30-50 better players. However, he is young and does have the potential to be a Marian Hossa/Datsyuk/Spezza type.
He is not in their leauge. He is better than them. Sedin, Kovalev, Jokinen and Elias never put up the numbers Hemsky is now when they were 25. I agree that him and Semin are in the same boat, but it is not with those other guys.

Boat 1, Generational Talents: Crosby, Ovechkin, Malkin. Guys who score 100+ Points right off the bat after entering the league. 110+ Points should be a consistent trademark in their careers.

Boat 2, Superstar talents: Thornton,Iginla,Lecavalier,Kovalchuk,Zetterberg, Heatley,Datsyuk,Zetterberg. Guys who took a few years to get there, but now they're there. A minimum 90-100 Point players.

Boat 3: All-Star talents: M. Richards, Carter, Gaborik, Hemsky, Kane, Toews, Gagne, Vanek, Nash, Semin, Krejci, Marleau, Jokinen. Guys who either have the potential to be superstars, or guys who will always be in the class below. Guys that can score 80-90points right now/ 40 goals.

Then there is everybody else. Spezza,Alfredsson, St. Louis, Hossa, B. Richards all come in between both All-Stars and Superstars. They can be considered borderline elite.

One Trick Pony* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2009, 04:06 PM
littlesthobo

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Trick Pony View Post
He is not in their leauge. He is better than them. Sedin, Kovalev, Jokinen and Elias never put up the numbers Hemsky is now when they were 25. I agree that him and Semin are in the same boat, but it is not with those other guys.

Boat 1, Generational Talents: Crosby, Ovechkin, Malkin. Guys who score 100+ Points right off the bat after entering the league. 110+ Points should be a consistent trademark in their careers.

Boat 2, Superstar talents: Thornton,Iginla,Lecavalier,Kovalchuk,Zetterberg, Heatley,Datsyuk,Zetterberg. Guys who took a few years to get there, but now they're there. A minimum 90-100 Point players.

Boat 3: All-Star talents: M. Richards, Carter, Gaborik, Hemsky, Kane, Toews, Gagne, Vanek, Nash, Semin, Krejci, Marleau, Jokinen. Guys who either have the potential to be superstars, or guys who will always be in the class below. Guys that can score 80-90points right now/ 40 goals.

Then there is everybody else. Spezza,Alfredsson, St. Louis, Hossa, B. Richards all come in between both All-Stars and Superstars. They can be considered borderline elite.

So is it safe to say you put Spezza, Alfie, St. Louis and company in Boat 2.5?
Also, you specify that Jokinen is not in the same boat as Hemsky, yet you put both of them in boat number 3?
Elias, and Sedin are stretching it yes but at the same age Hemsky is they were putting up similiar or better numbers, but I'd say Jokinen and Semin definitely in the same boat, or around there.

To stay on topic, and using the "boat" logic, I would say Hemsky has potential for boat 2.5, if there was a rating system for it, but I think boat 2 would be stretching it.

Last edited by littlesthobo: 01-23-2009 at 04:36 PM.
Old
01-23-2009, 04:08 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

He'll have to become a star before being considered an superstar.

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2009, 04:25 PM
collapsethelung

Quote:
Where do you get this stuff?

Elias, Jokinen, and both Sedins were all PPG players at the age of 25. Just like Hemsky.

Elias had 96 points in 82 games in 00-01, at the age of 25.

Jokinen had 89 points in 82 games in 05-06, he was around 25-26.

Daniel Sedin - 84 points in 82 games in 06-07. 25 years old.

Henrik Sedin - 81 points in 82 games in 06-07. Same age.

Last edited by collapsethelung: 01-23-2009 at 04:35 PM.
collapsethelung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2009, 04:34 PM
littlesthobo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adept View Post

Elias, Jokinen, and both Sedins were all PPG players at the age of 25. Just like Hemsky.

Jokinen? 89 points in 82 games in 05-06, he was around 25-26.

Thank you, someone else who does research around here.

To get back on point, Elias is no longer what he was, the Sedins are point a game players now, and I think Hemmer can be around that. I thought they were rather good comparisons, but some fans just don't see the light I guess.

Old
01-23-2009, 04:37 PM
collapsethelung

Quote:
Thank you, someone else who does research around here.

To get back on point, Elias is no longer what he was, the Sedins are point a game players now, and I think Hemmer can be around that. I thought they were rather good comparisons, but some fans just don't see the light I guess.
Elias is actually on pace for a better season statistically than Hemsky is, and he's 7 years older.

Old
01-23-2009, 04:40 PM
littlesthobo

Quote:
Elias is actually on pace for a better season statistically than Hemsky is, and he's 7 years older.
To be honest, I would still take Hemsky, factoring age, and contract. However, one half year doesn't make a player any better then another, I was more or less comparing Elias career to a potential career of Hemmer.

I can see Hemsky consistently being a boat 3 kind of guy, MAYBE 2.5. But Never do I see him up there with the likes of Heatley, Lecavalier, etc.

Old
01-23-2009, 04:42 PM
One Trick Pony*

Quote:

Jokinen had 89 points in 82 games in 05-06, he was around 25-26.

Jokinen when he was 25 had the privilege of playing in Europe for the lockout. One year made so much difference in turning his career around. He was 26 when he finally hit 80 points.

Elias- My mistake.

Daniel Sedin- 26 years old.

Henrik Sedin- 26 years old.

If you played hockey, you would know that one season is a long time in developing a player. Just take a look at Hemsky himself, from last year to this year. Other than Elias, none of these players were at that peak at the ripe age of 25.

Old
01-23-2009, 04:47 PM
littlesthobo

Quote:
Jokinen when he was 25 had the privilege of playing in Europe for the lockout. One year made so much difference in turning his career around. He was 26 when he finally hit 80 points.

Elias- My mistake.

If you played hockey, you would know that one season is a long time in developing a player. Just take a look at Hemsky himself, from last year to this year. Other than Elias, none of these players were at that peak at the ripe age of 25.
So where do you think Hemsky's peak will be then?

Old
01-23-2009, 04:53 PM
collapsethelung

Quote:

Elias- My mistake.

Thanks, because you know I don't play hockey.

My point still stands. All the players you listed were all in the same league as Hemsky at the age of 25.

Old
01-23-2009, 04:54 PM
One Trick Pony*

Quote:
So where do you think Hemsky's peak will be then?
Not much more than 2.5.

Maybe a 2......but I'd only be sure of that happening if we got a sniper who can score 35-45 goals.

Last edited by One Trick Pony*: 01-23-2009 at 06:29 PM.
Old
01-23-2009, 04:55 PM
One Trick Pony*

Quote:
Thanks, because you know I don't play hockey.

My point still stands. All players were all in the same league as Hemsky at the age of 25.
My point is that they were in the same league Hemsky is at 25, when they were 26.

I never assumed you don't play hockey, just was uncertain.

Old
01-23-2009, 05:00 PM
littlesthobo

Quote:
Not much more than 2.5.

Maybe a 3......but I'd only be sure of that happening if we got a sniper who can score 35-45 goals.
Fair enough, I see him as a perennial point per game or so player, like a Zach Parise, Sedins etc.