HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

playing too often?

Old
01-22-2009, 09:30 AM
spizzle420

vCash: 500
playing too often?

I've been going to scrimmages often to get in shape and pick up my game... 1.5 hour games... 2-3 lines or so... good pace... enough to break a sweat for my noob-ass

but this has involved consecutive days sometimes 4 in a row... and playing with still wobbly legs... but good enough to go...

Am I being counter-productive by not letting the muscles fully heal or will playing like training camp just get the body to adapt?

spizzle420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2009, 09:35 AM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

Quote:
Originally Posted by spizzle420 View Post
I've been going to scrimmages often to get in shape and pick up my game... 1.5 hour games... 2-3 lines or so... good pace... enough to break a sweat for my noob-ass

but this has involved consecutive days sometimes 4 in a row... and playing with still wobbly legs... but good enough to go...

Am I being counter-productive by not letting the muscles fully heal or will playing like training camp just get the body to adapt?
I think you're going too far. 4 days is clearly too much. I've found I gain most by 2 intense days in a row, then 2 or 3 days off. You have to think of it almost like weight lifting, you really do need days off to make optimal gains. What do you get when you lift on muscles that feel sore from workouts of the past 3 days? Nothing, you just hinder recovery.

BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2009, 09:48 AM
UserName

sometimes, time away from the rink is good for you mentally as well.

last year, i got burnt out from playing way too much and wasn't enjoying the game nor improving. so i took a 3 week break and it worked wonders.

UserName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2009, 10:43 AM
EmptyNetter

I agree with the other posters. I'd play no more than two nights in a row. Muscles can't refuel and repair if you're making them work. What's more your body will probably start breaking down muscle tissue to keep you going.

Let your legs be your guide. If they're wobbly you need to rest them.

EmptyNetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2009, 11:12 AM
87vert

I think as long as your still having fun that is really all that matters.

87vert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2009, 01:10 PM
SERE 24
LGR

I absolutely disagree. I don't think there is such a thing as "too much" ice time. It's not like you're lifting weights and need to give your body a rest. Unless you're sore from physical play or falling often, this is just cardio you're talking about. If you met a guy who ran 5 miles, 7 days a week, would you tell him he needs to give his body a rest or would you be impressed with his conditioning and dedication to fitness? Being on the ice as often as possible can only put you in better shape and make you a better hockey player. I skip days when it comes to lifting but am often on the ice 5 days in a row and have been doing it that way for about 4 years now.

Edit: To be clear, however, if your legs are wobbly than you probably need a rest. This is because your legs aren't conditioned enough to go that often yet though, not because there's anything wrong with playing everyday.

SERE 24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2009, 03:25 PM
raganblink

when i was playing hardcore we lifted 3 times a week, played twice, and skated every single day unless we had a game.

to get into shape for this though (cuz i was only used to hockey every day, not the lifting part) i started gradually taking days off of hockey when i lifted, and than i slowly started just skating on the days i lifted, than by the time juniors started i was already playing everyday and weightlifting during hte week.

its great exercise though. i have friends who arent competitive or were never competitive with the sport but they wanted to get into shape. they started lifting TRS and played league WU and play pickups on MF.

they got awesome at hockey (went from novice at age 17 to B league at 19) and got ripped. they dropped about 70 pounds from atleast 250 to a lean 180ish, and they are built like tanks, well, atleast one of them is.

hockey 3-4 times a week and working out 3-4 times a week is awesome for you. if anyone is a bigger guy who wants to get good at hockey quickly, and wants to loose alot of weight, play 3-4 times a week and go lift the other days. you'll be surprised how quickly it takes you to get from fat and bad to built and good.

raganblink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2009, 04:58 PM
EmptyNetter

To put my post in context here's where I'm coming from:

I'm 39 years old and it seems that any time I go full bore into a fitness regimen I overtrain, injure myself and then have to stop everything for 2 weeks or more while I heal up. For that reason I'm more cautious and conservative about my regimen than some here might be. MikeD pointed out in another thread that age and physical condition may make this a moot point -- the younger and better conditioned you are the better your body will resist exhaustion and injury.

The OP hasn't stated his age and the fact that he is asking whether he's doing too much suggests that he could be wearing himself thin. Exercise is great for maintaining your health but it is a stressor -- you challenge your body and end up stronger once it rebuilds. If you continuously stress your muscles and your heart without getting sufficient rest you will damage your health, not improve it. If you want to maximize your workout I'd recommend playing every other day and doing some cardio during your off days -- it will help to flush the lactic acid from your muscles. Also, if you're trying to improve your game add some skill training to your cardio. Focusing on stick handling drills and shooting pucks for an hour is an effective way to improve your skills quickly. JMHO

EmptyNetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2009, 05:53 PM
kmd mode

there's nothing wrong with playing everyday or 5-6 days a week. The only thing is you should get into that kind of shape before you overdo your muscles and then get injured. Get into the proper shape and get on the ice all you want

kmd mode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2009, 06:26 PM
noobman

Your performance may drop, but I don't think you'll have to fear injuring yourself unless you're considerably out of hockey shape.

You might risk mental burnout over physical burnout.

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2009, 06:27 PM
nullterm

vCash: 800
I currently play twice a week, plus one session of power skating. In the summer I'll be up to three ice, plus one day of recreational roller. Over the last year, my fitness has improved alot so I should be comfortable with the increased schedule.

nullterm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2009, 06:34 PM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmd mode View Post
there's nothing wrong with playing everyday or 5-6 days a week. The only thing is you should get into that kind of shape before you overdo your muscles and then get injured. Get into the proper shape and get on the ice all you want
I agree all the way. It's very hard to get into that shape if you have a full time job or occupation though eh?

BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2009, 09:45 PM
greech

Send a message via AIM to greech
Little things make a huge difference. Drink lots of water before, and get a banana and chocolate milk afterward. Stretching out before and after + light jogs in between days playing will go miles keeping you limbered up and on the ice.

greech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2009, 09:46 PM
JorgeRocks!

What could be better than playing hockey too much!

Soldier on!

*Get some Beatrice Chocolate milk in to ya after games to.*

JorgeRocks! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2009, 09:57 AM
Bring_Bak_Damphousse
Classless User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JorgeRocks! View Post
What could be better than playing hockey too much!

Soldier on!

*Get some Beatrice Chocolate milk in to ya after games to.*

Agreed, I'm on 2 ball hockey teams and a spongee team with broomball and some ice hockey in between. When I'm not playing it I'm watching it. God my legs hurt

Bring_Bak_Damphousse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2009, 10:17 AM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
You should do what your body tells you but I think it's important to understand the difference between your legs being wobbly and your legs being sore. If you're just sore, I'd tell you to push through it. You'll get into better shape and won't get this soreness anymore. After somewhat long layoffs I've binged on pick-up hockey and fill-in mens league games to try and get back in shape it usually helps me out, but everyone is different. The best part about pick-up is you can take it at your own pace, no one cares how long or short your shifts are unless the numbers aren't good or it's too crowded...but it's all about being comfortable and if your body isn't comfortable on the ice, you're going to suffer mentally as well and your game is just going to be off and it won't do you much good.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote