HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Phillips signs..

Closed Thread

Old
08-07-2004, 04:12 PM
igor*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilswell
Maybe not, but to my eye he had a very Torres-like season, if you get my meaning.
Lowe was talking about the season in Hamilton where he had a terrific year, oilswell.

Old
08-07-2004, 04:40 PM
oilswell

Quote:
Originally Posted by igor
Lowe was talking about the season in Hamilton where he had a terrific year, oilswell.
Ah, thanks. Regardless, I was talking about his NHL season.

Old
08-07-2004, 04:50 PM
igor*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sakich
I saw a great cartoon where a duck was trying to talk to a dog. The duck was quacking and the dog was barking. Eventually they just gave up. IMO, that is what many of these arguements turn into.

Igor, I respect your numbers but they are not the only way to evaluate a player. When Brewer is on the ice, you just know the oilers are in good hands. He is a stud and that is hard to quantify. It is the exact opposite for many people when it comes to Cross. I don't mind Corry Orr but some guys hate him despite his good numbers.
Arbitration has much to do with numbers. But this discussion has nothing to do with numbers. Other than the fact I used them to try and point out what should be obvious anyways.

That is the fact that Brewer is a mediocre defenseman at best. And will probably get better, but never be a high-end guy.

Brewer just doesn't make decisions quickly enough. There's not much time in the NHL ... the forwards are so big and fast its unreal. And Brewer just doesn't make the right decision enough ... and he never will. He looks really good on the big euro ice though. Partly because he can use his speed, but mostly because he just has a bit more time to make a decision ... and he needs that.

Other times he stops Sakic at 1on1 and Joe never looked to have a hope. Other times he gets beat one-on-one by guys that have no right to ... its like he's not concentrating, I dunno. But it just keeps happening.

If it was just that he was adjusting to the NHL game, that he was learning ... fair enough. But he just isn't getting any better at avoiding the mental errors. And there are precious few reasons to believe he ever will. Offensively ... good speed and a good wrister, takes a pass pretty well ... has to look and pause to make an accurate pass though. And zero offensive creativity.

Brewer has never been a good NHL defenseman. He HAS always looked like he would be a good one one day though. Certainly has all the tools. But with every passing month with only marginal improvement ... the bloom fades from the rose a bit.

Brewer should be watching tape of Ken Daneyko every day, and copy him. Someone has to tell Brewer: "Just bang it off the glass unless you KNOW you have a bunch of time Eric, that has to be your game if you hope to get results." Not that he would listen, hell he'd probably demand a trade.

Old
08-07-2004, 04:54 PM
igor*

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilswell
Ah, thanks. Regardless, I was talking about his NHL season.
Ya, I thought you were. I agree with you too.

As much as I like Bergy ... he went through a stretch there early where he was the key guy responsible for scoring chances against ... and they just never went in. Granted, it wasn't like he was playing against Modano and Guerin every shift ... still, the gods were smiling on him for a while there.

Good hockey player though IMHO.

Old
08-07-2004, 06:35 PM
Lowetide

Quote:
Originally Posted by igor
If it was just that he was adjusting to the NHL game, that he was learning ... fair enough. But he just isn't getting any better at avoiding the mental errors. And there are precious few reasons to believe he ever will. Offensively ... good speed and a good wrister, takes a pass pretty well ... has to look and pause to make an accurate pass though. And zero offensive creativity.
I love comps, and although it's way too early to decide Brewer's fate its looking more and more like he'll end up in the Glen Wesley area (very high pick, good player but considered a disappointment for where he was drafted) of the comp pool than the Rod Langway hopes I held (still waiting for the mean streak).

Still, he's only 25 and for the most part his career injury log has been strained shoulders and such, nothing major (knock wood). Still lots of time imo.

Closed Thread