HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

TSN All-Time Montreal Team

Old
01-24-2009, 02:46 AM
Iwishihadacup

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markov79fan View Post
first of all tsn list was a joke imo

second of all, im a huge koivu fan, i love what he does for the habs on the ice and what he does in the community but theres no way he get his number retired, he just dont belong with the Richard, Lafleur, Beliveau, Dryden, Geoffrion ect

heck, there was a strong argument that Patrick Roy didnt deserved to get his number retired so can you imagined Koivu.......

noted: just to be sure im a saku koivu fan so dont bash me because i dont wanted to see his number retired
longest leading trooper on the team, and the teams cannot always stay in the past, they need to retire some recent jerseys FFS

Iwishihadacup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2009, 03:20 AM
WhiskeySeven
Mr. Worldwide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwishihadacup View Post
longest leading trooper on the team, and the teams cannot always stay in the past, they need to retire some recent jerseys FFS
Why do they NEED to retire a recent jersey?

Koivu is not in the same class as Gainey, Lafleur, Le Gros Bill, Rocket and Pocket & Co.

He's been the landmark of a ****** era in Habs history, and he was never a "superstar" or even an all-star. He is a good player, dedicated and a presumably good captain (presumably because this team always has consistency and drive issues).

tl;dr Koivu is not going to get his number retired before Carbonneau!

WhiskeySeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2009, 03:28 AM
Souray44

You can tell by the way they made that team that it's not the best overall players. It's about best in their position etc. They have a defensive third line, tough 4th line. Komisarek playing the stay at home guy on the top pairing.

It's just about making a realistic team otherwise they'd obviously have picked all the stars just like every other thing did this year.

Souray44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2009, 03:49 AM
Rayne*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkiness View Post
he was never a "superstar" or even an all-star.
He was leading the NHL scoring race in 1996-97, his 2nd year in the league, after 50 games (17-39-56), which only ended due to a knee injury.

Rayne* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2009, 06:45 AM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

I'm not a big fan of Koivu, never really was...

But I do have tremendous respect for the man. He played trough the darkest ages of the Habs org., had injuries (a lot), won his battle against cancer & had to deal with a ton of criticism... yet, he never complain when we give him rookies to play with or guys like Kostopoulos or Streit (for thoses who remember last year)...

after all that happened he still wants to remain a Habs, that says a lot about the kind of person he is IMO.

This year, while getting older and after so many injuries, we will still be our best player and our only warrior in the playoffs... he'll get hit, cross checked and tripped and he'll just s**k it up and keep playing.

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2009, 09:39 AM
wedge

I really like the guy but his jersey won't be retired. He would deserve his place in the ring of (???) you know, the thing they did to honor all the players elected to the hall of fame. Some players never inducted in the hall would deserve to be there, like Naslund, Markov...

wedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2009, 12:10 PM
onice

When I was growing up, Bobby Rousseau was my favorite player but what the *******, he doesn't belong on this team.

Where's Lapointe? Komi isn't and never will be half the player Lapointe was. That's BS.

You gotta find places for Shutt and Lafleur.

Bunny ahead of Roy/Dryden. What are they smoking?

No Henri Richard. stupid, just stupid.

Props for recognizing Ferguson and Provost. They were great players.

onice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2009, 02:01 PM
WhiskeySeven
Mr. Worldwide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayne View Post
He was leading the NHL scoring race in 1996-97, his 2nd year in the league, after 50 games (17-39-56), which only ended due to a knee injury.
This must be a joke. ONE season where he was 2nd in scoring and Koivu suddenly is an all-star??

He's a good player and an asset to the team, he isn't an all-star and he won't have his number retired.

WhiskeySeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2009, 03:41 PM
Rayne*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkiness View Post
This must be a joke. ONE season where he was 2nd in scoring and Koivu suddenly is an all-star??

He's a good player and an asset to the team, he isn't an all-star and he won't have his number retired.
No, he was LEADING the NHL in scoring, genius. He was also named to the all-star game twice (1998, 2003) but didn't play due to injury. I'm well aware he likely won't have his number retired, but he's been the single most important person to this franchise since Roy's departure, and that's a pretty long time.

Rayne* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2009, 09:51 AM
pnep

The Hockey News Montreal Canadiens All Time Team

Last edited by Habs10Habs: 01-25-2009 at 10:51 AM.
pnep is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2009, 10:06 AM
Shabutie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RushDP View Post
On our current team Koivu is and has been our first line center but he is centering the second line according to TSN. When did he become our second line center and who is our first line center?
Where have you been in the last 2 years? Last year Plekanec was our number 1 center.

Shabutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2009, 10:10 AM
sampollock

too many to chose from, hard to make this work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabutie View Post
Where have you been in the last 2 years? Last year Plekanec was our number 1 center.
ya, and last year in the playoffs and this year he bites, plec's that is

Last edited by Habs10Habs: 01-25-2009 at 10:51 AM.
sampollock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2009, 10:54 AM
Shabutie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sampollock View Post
too many to chose from, hard to make this work.

ya, and last year in the playoffs and this year he bites, plec's that is
I didn't say otherwise. Everyone here knows that I wanted us to keep Ribs ahead of Plecks... I was also called insane for wanting to trade Plecks for Mikko Koivu last season...

Shabutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2009, 02:38 PM
Roke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayne View Post
No, he was LEADING the NHL in scoring, genius. He was also named to the all-star game twice (1998, 2003) but didn't play due to injury. I'm well aware he likely won't have his number retired, but he's been the single most important person to this franchise since Roy's departure, and that's a pretty long time.
Being named to the all-star team has almost no value in an all-time context. I'm pretty sure Funkiness was referring to the end-of-season 1st and 2nd all-star teams, which have been named since the 1930-31 season and are much more relevant when talking about a player's dominance or achievements.

Roke is offline   Reply With Quote