HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Nigel Dawes, anyone?

Old
01-23-2009, 12:31 PM
BRINGBACKAVERY

vCash: 500
Dawes is the definition of expendable. Yes, he might turn into a decent player down the line, but thats a pretty big maybe. Also his name is Nigel.

BRINGBACKAVERY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2009, 12:36 PM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRINGBACKAVERY View Post
Dawes is the definition of expendable. Yes, he might turn into a decent player down the line, but thats a pretty big maybe. Also his name is Nigel.
At this point and for what the team needs I would agree

He is their best asset to trade. He will become a more consistant scorer but this team needs a top line winger for Gomez now

Besides that they can only really offer up Prucha, Voros, Fritsche and that is not that exiting...........so I also expect a 2nd rounder moved if they have to and a descent prospect like Sauer

It does sound nuts but a Bill Guerin type really would make this team a contender..............Having a top line of Naslund, Gomez, Guerin............it would do wonders...........then Dubinsky with Zherdev and who knows what wing

I see Drury a better fit on a checking line with Callahan and Korpikoski

we are all pretty fine with the 4th cause Orr serves his purpose and Sjo and Betts are great on the PK

I would do Dawes, Prucha for Guerin or Tkachuk........call me crazy if u want but that is what will go down if they want a top forward for the stretch run

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2009, 02:05 PM
94now

No one would give anything for Nigel. If we wave him, he would get picked and will be sent to AHL affiliated team where he belongs.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2009, 02:30 PM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
I wonder where you come up with your comparison of Lauri and Byers. They're the same age and they had the same goal total on the same team last season (Byers scored more the season before). Was wondering why one would project to be a top six forward and the other a fourth liner (not even a third liner).
Stats are stats, there's a reason Korpi is up and playing on the 3rd line already and Byers has yet to crack the line-up. Byers has had a few games up here, he doesn't show any offensive promise. He'll be a good role player one day(IMO) on the 4th or maybe the 3rd line at best. Different types of players can put up similar numbers in the AHL. There's a reason some translate into goal scorers in the NHL and some don't. It's just my opinion from what I've seen and heard about the two players.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2009, 02:44 PM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
No one would give anything for Nigel. If we wave him, he would get picked and will be sent to AHL affiliated team where he belongs.
give me a break.........i mean seriously...........some fans here de-value the players waaaaay to much if they don't personally like them.

Dawes has talent. he has'nt even played a full season. He is starting to get more goals now and he will get better

how come no more Rozi sucks threads. oh yea maybe because he has healed from injury and is now contributing like he did the past 2 plus years

Prucha also gets bashed and all the guy does is score when he gets put back in the lineup

Voros may be frustrating but he also has contributed

Their will always be scapegoats but don't say Dawes does not have value or is a AHL player

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2009, 02:54 PM
OverTheCap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
give me a break.........i mean seriously...........some fans here de-value the players waaaaay to much if they don't personally like them.

Dawes has talent. he has'nt even played a full season. He is starting to get more goals now and he will get better

how come no more Rozi sucks threads. oh yea maybe because he has healed from injury and is now contributing like he did the past 2 plus years

Prucha also gets bashed and all the guy does is score when he gets put back in the lineup

Their will always be scapegoats but don't say Dawes does not have value or is a AHL player
Trading Dawes alone will not bring back a top 6 forward. Right now, he can't be the centerpiece for a high impact trade. He has to be in a package with something of value to garner a good return (and Prucha, Voros, and Fritsche do not count). Dawes would have to be packaged with top level prospects such as Sangs and high draft picks for an impact player.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2009, 02:58 PM
DontStepanMe

Quote:

not really. besides a handful of games in the very beginning of the year he has done nothing... sorta like his entire NHL career. a handful of good games, a whole lotta crap.

DontStepanMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2009, 07:52 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by dedalus View Post
You tell me. Is calling him "a perfectly adequate NHL role player" being a tad too critical? Because that's what I said about Dawes. It is, in fact, ALL I said about Dawes.
You opened a thread questioning his productivity after 5 games of no points.

Quote:
Agreed

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRINGBACKAVERY View Post
Dawes is the definition of expendable. Yes, he might turn into a decent player down the line, but thats a pretty big maybe.
Quote:
At this point and for what the team needs I would agree
Young players who turn into decent players down the line is what keeps a team from having to sign over paid UFAs.

This team doesn't have offensive and Dawes is an offensive player, how does this make him define expendable? He's a great passer, has a decent shot, and a slick pair of hands. Oh wait, that's right, this team needs more size and grit. Guys with hands like bricks but bring a bunch of physicality.......Last time I checked Voros was sitting out and didn't help the PP at all when he was in.

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2009, 07:54 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Not since Thanksgiving.

01-23-2009, 08:43 PM
Fletch

Rangersfan...

Byers had one game in the NHL - a game in which he played about 5 minutes on the fourth line. You're right, he hasn't shown much in the NHL. Korps is here because he's a better skater, has better speed and is better defensively. That gets him into Renney's lineup. It's really not that he has far superior offensive talents, it's that he has other tools that make him useful while he learns the game. My point is that right now, I can't tell you he's a better scorer than Byers because he's never been a scorer on any professional team - not in Finland, not in the AHL, so when people talk about a kid who will be top 6 and score 20 goals, it's tough for me to back that up because he hasn't ever been a goal scorer. Has he shown nice moves? Yeah, he made some nice moves, however translating that into 20 goals in a season isn't easy and you'd be surprised at some of the moves guys can come up with every now and again given the ice time.

I'm not even trying to be a skeptic here - I'm saying that personally, I don't know. I don't know what makes him a better NHL scorer than Byers at this point (I am skeptical of Byers, although I think he can play an NHL fourth line on some teams).

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2009, 09:25 AM
dedalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipernsx View Post
You opened a thread questioning his productivity after 5 games of no points.
No I didn't. You've merely failed to read carefully.

I suggest you go through my opening post again. Look for the subject of every sentence, and count the number in which Dawes is the subject of the sentence. When you do that carefully, you will - I hope - understand what the post is really about.

Get back to me with your findings.

Oh. And if you don't know how to find the grammatical subject of a sentence, let me know. I'll be happy to help you.

dedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2009, 09:31 AM
dedalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
My point is that right now, I can't tell you he's a better scorer than Byers because he's never been a scorer on any professional team - not in Finland, not in the AHL, so when people talk about a kid who will be top 6 and score 20 goals, it's tough for me to back that up because he hasn't ever been a goal scorer. Has he shown nice moves? Yeah, he made some nice moves, however translating that into 20 goals in a season isn't easy and you'd be surprised at some of the moves guys can come up with every now and again given the ice time.
Agreed. The both leagues (AHL and NHL) are loaded with guys who skate beautifully and have hands of pure stone.

dedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2009, 09:59 AM
Rangersglory

Dawes could still get better. There is no one to replace him with anyway so I guess we will see what he can do. Maybe we should have drafted a forward instead of Del Zotto.

Rangersglory is offline   Reply With Quote