HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Vinnie addresses the media

Old
01-23-2009, 09:20 PM
RE-HABS

vCash: 500
Vinnie addresses the media

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=264385&l...=topStory_main

Good read, not much more there than we already saw in the past.

Hundreds of fans at the airport to greet him and he said in French that getting dressed in the Montreal Canadiens dressing room is something he always wanted to see.

Said the pressure in Montreal is a "good" pressure.

RE-HABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2009, 09:28 PM
MontrealHabitant

Ya this been on RDS the entire, total frenzy.

MontrealHabitant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2009, 09:54 PM
JrHockeyFan

So who is this Vinny guy? Gambini or Barbarino?

JrHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2009, 10:00 PM
Jee
@DeuxiemeJumeau

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrHockeyFan View Post
So who is this Vinny guy? Gambini or Barbarino?

Jee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2009, 10:15 PM
PhysicalTorque

Woah, now that is something, I hope he comes to Montreal, it will make the games between Ottawa even more intense.

PhysicalTorque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2009, 10:17 PM
JHabs
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to JHabs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffonfire View Post
OH SNAP! I REMEMBER THOSE! Wow thats old.

JHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2009, 10:20 PM
bladoww
Team of the Future

Just seems like TSN is twisting quotes around. I'm not posting here to try to ruffle any feathers or anything guys, just getting tired of some of the articles I'm reading. One example:

Per TSN:
Quote:
"I've always said ... it would be a dream place to come and play for."
Per NHL.com:
Quote:
"I think a lot of Montreal players would tell you it's a dream place to play."
Per Vancouver Sun:
Quote:
“I’ve always said that, for a lot of Montreal (native) players, it would be a dream place to play.”
My point is this - just quote it like it is. By TSN throwing in the "...", they omit a key part of his statement. They almost imply that Vinny is dying to play for the Habs, but the full quote simply sends a resounding "Duh, what Montreal native wouldn't like to play for his hometown team?"

bladoww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2009, 10:35 PM
onice

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhysicalTorque View Post
Woah, now that is something, I hope he comes to Montreal, it will make the games between Ottawa even more intense.
I knew Ottawa had a bad team but I didn't know they suffered from multiple personalities.

onice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2009, 08:16 AM
HomaridII

I heard on 110% that they will put him directly in front of Jean Beliveau's picture in the dressing room. I am sure its just a coincidence, lol.

HomaridII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2009, 08:23 AM
HotHabsFan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by onice View Post
I knew Ottawa had a bad team but I didn't know they suffered from multiple personalities.
lol you beat me to it...yep we need Vinny to make it more intense huh, i was thinking YOU guys need Vinny to make it more intense, seeing as you are 21 points behind us in the standings !

HotHabsFan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2009, 12:19 PM
smon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladoww View Post
Just seems like TSN is twisting quotes around. I'm not posting here to try to ruffle any feathers or anything guys, just getting tired of some of the articles I'm reading. One example:

Per TSN:

Per NHL.com:

Per Vancouver Sun:

My point is this - just quote it like it is. By TSN throwing in the "...", they omit a key part of his statement. They almost imply that Vinny is dying to play for the Habs, but the full quote simply sends a resounding "Duh, what Montreal native wouldn't like to play for his hometown team?"
Sure, but what's with him saying the pressure in Montreal is a good pressure. And his remarks on the rumours - well, if they're going to trade me they'll ask for a list of teams first...Doesn't sound like he thinks he will be staying in Tampa Bay much longer. The one bad thing about this for the Canadiens is that the pressure on Gainey will be enormous to reel him in at the deadline (= overpayment), and if Lecavalier ends up going somewhere else, watch out..!

smon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2009, 12:26 PM
Artyukhin*

Lecavalier expects to finish season in Tampa Bay

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/hocke...46868799_x.htm

Artyukhin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2009, 12:27 PM
Iwishihadacup

yeah! no more silly rumors!

Iwishihadacup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2009, 12:30 PM
HotHabsFan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug mckenzie View Post
Lecavalier expects to finish season in Tampa Bay

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/hocke...46868799_x.htm

yep he sure sounds confident to be staying in Tampa...

"I think I will, but in the end, it's not up to me to answer a question like that because it's a bit out of my control,"

Old
01-24-2009, 12:38 PM
bladoww
Team of the Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by smon View Post
Sure, but what's with him saying the pressure in Montreal is a good pressure. And his remarks on the rumours - well, if they're going to trade me they'll ask for a list of teams first...Doesn't sound like he thinks he will be staying in Tampa Bay much longer. The one bad thing about this for the Canadiens is that the pressure on Gainey will be enormous to reel him in at the deadline (= overpayment), and if Lecavalier ends up going somewhere else, watch out..!
My honest opinion? It almost sounded like he was back-peddling. Like he made comment about the pressures in Montreal, but then saying those pressures were a good thing. No offense, I just get the impression he has no overt desire to play in Montreal. The reality is, without a NTC or NMC how can one be certain they won't be moved?

bladoww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2009, 12:42 PM
HotHabsFan*

Quote:
My honest opinion? It almost sounded like he was back-peddling. Like he made comment about the pressures in Montreal, but then saying those pressures were a good thing. No offense, I just get the impression he has no overt desire to play in Montreal. The reality is, without a NTC or NMC how can one be certain they won't be moved?
as is normal for TB fans, why would you think a player on your team wants to play for another ? i call it denial.......

Old
01-24-2009, 12:44 PM
Artyukhin*

Quote:
not since Cory Murphy came to Tamabay?

Artyukhin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2009, 12:52 PM
JHabs
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to JHabs
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotHabsFan View Post
yep he sure sounds confident to be staying in Tampa...

"I think I will, but in the end, it's not up to me to answer a question like that because it's a bit out of my control,"
That whole controling his future bit, was so important. Now I have the feeling that he doesn't have that luxury anymore or something.

JHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2009, 01:05 PM
smon

Quote:
Well, it is obvious that his first choice would be to remain with Tampa (he did forego UFA status to stay there), but given the current situation, I would expect his first choice elsewhere to be his hometown. Now, that may not be the case, but we won't know until when/if he's moved. Until then, we're just grasping at straws here and it's just a matter of perception.

smon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2009, 05:37 PM
Toro

I don't know, but to me his really long speech on the Canadiens talking about the good pressure in Montreal and everything he really sounded like he has been told that he may be traded and to prepare a list of teams he is willing to go to. Players who have long term contracts and are the face of an organization usually don't comment much on being traded or possibly being traded to a certain team. They usually squash any talk of it right away and quickly. Not babble on and on about it.

He is definately coming to montreal and i am very afraid of all we may be punked into giving up for him as the pressure to get him is enormous and Gainey will have a hard time if he goes elsewhere.

The talks between teams being leaked out or made up have really created a cluster f&^% for bob. Every Journalist has written up a possible trade proposal and i think the stuff being reported to be going Tampa's way is way too much.

I was hoping Bob would get a really good 2 way UFA defenceman. Not trade 3 roster players Pleks,Higgins,Gorges and 2 first rounders. or some of the other crazy ones.

Good luck Bob.

Toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2009, 05:43 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

My feeling is that he's open to this situation. But I don't think that in the end, it matters what he thinks or not. Clearly, TBay will have to move if they trade him. There's not a lot of people? There will be less people in there if he leaves, there will be less sponsors as well etc....I believe that they didn't even try to trade him, they just wanted to leak the info so to see what would be the response in TBay....they clearly got it....

Now they still have money issues.....so if there's one move they'll be making, it will be to go see if St-Louis is open to any movement.....there won't be any riot if he leaves compared to if Lecavalier leaves....

Whitesnake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2009, 05:45 PM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

Canadian newspapers misquoting Vinny? Say it ain't so

BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2009, 05:46 PM
HomaridII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
My feeling is that he's open to this situation. But I don't think that in the end, it matters what he thinks or not. Clearly, TBay will have to move if they trade him. There's not a lot of people? There will be less people in there if he leaves, there will be less sponsors as well etc....I believe that they didn't even try to trade him, they just wanted to leak the info so to see what would be the response in TBay....they clearly got it....

Now they still have money issues.....so if there's one move they'll be making, it will be to go see if St-Louis is open to any movement.....there won't be any riot if he leaves compared to if Lecavalier leaves....
CBC just interviewed Vinny on the ice and asked him if he thought he was going to finish his career in Tampa, he answered that you never knew in Hockey but that at least they had told him that they would ask him first before trading him. Sounded to me like a guy who has been told nothing is certain, definetely was not told he wasn't going to be traded.

HomaridII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2009, 05:49 PM
SAKS AVENUE

Anyone notice how in Vinny's interview he says " Tampa is great, the team is great the players are great and the coaching staff is great.......but doesn't say a word about the upper brass.

If he's ever felt betrayed it's now and one more little straw will break the camels back.

I predict Vinny is a Hab by the end of Febuary............

SAKS AVENUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2009, 05:49 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomaridII View Post
Sounded to me like a guy who has been told nothing is certain, definetely was not told he wasn't going to be traded.
Probably 'cause nothing is certain. They might have really big financial problems where they won't have any choice. But I just believe that it will be their last thing to do. Also, he probably goes with what Dan Boyle has probably told him and he thinks that whatever they say, he can't believe them. So they might saying we won't trade you, but in Vinny's mind it's "They said they won't trade me but you never know with them..."

Just my analysis, and yours is just as good as mine.

Whitesnake is online now   Reply With Quote