HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Forecaster is out!! (Kostistyn)

Closed Thread

Old
08-07-2004, 04:21 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

vCash: 500
I know that dork (Dan Pollard from tsn) picked the habs to finish 13th last year. Even the most pessimistic habs supporter would say that is a bit harsh.

Yeah, I agree, the habs do seen to get the short end of the stick in magazines like the forcaster...... oh well, all the more motivation for the habs (that is if they pay attention to a somewhat less credible magazine)

Old
08-07-2004, 04:26 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duster
Agreed. They always seem to be way off when it comes to player stats. However, some points to consider:

- Will Souray and Ryder repeat last year's season statistically speaking?
- Just as much as some of the other teams in the conference were overrated last year, some make actually overachieve this year. I see a real dogfight for that last playoff spot as was the case last year.
- The Habs have not markedly improved personel wise. The only real addition has been Bonk.
- Which Theodore will show up? Is Huet up to the challenge just in case?
- An injury to Ribs makes Dagenais ineffective. Do you think Hossa will pick up the slack? With Ribs potentially gone, the team only has one offensive centre and that's Koivu. The team is still thin at centre and at right wing.
- Kovalev is not a sure thing.
- The defense was hardly peerless last year. There has been no changes made.

I can see why the Forecaster has some doubts.
C'mon, every team has question marks beside it..... you cannot control injuries and you can never tell when a certain player has had a career year until it is all said and done...... you can take the lightning and put question marks on them whether they will have a stanley cup hangover or was clagary just a flash in the pan.....

You gotta predict with what you got instead of thinking pessimistic on all the ifs.

Old
08-07-2004, 04:38 PM
Duster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey
If Ribeiro is injured, the options for filling in are 1) Bonk, 2) Plekanec, and 3) Higgins. Last year there were just Perreault and Juneau. Begin and Dowd (if he comes back) can't supply enough offense and would render Dagenais totally useless.
So Bonk moves to No 2 for the sake of argument. Who plays centre on the third line? Under CJ's system, this is the line that typically gets the most ice time and checks the opposing team's top forwards. Plekanec still hasn't made the team yet. Nor has Higgins for that matter. At least Perreault was an offensive player and could fill in as a no 2 centre in a pinch. He's not coming back and nor is Juneau. You are still one NHL calibre centre short by my reckoning and moving Bonk affects the overall team defense.

Dagenais showed he can't play with anybody else but Ribs. He can't skate and has no grit. He's a one trick pony and a luxury player at best. Who fills in at right wing when he's benched by CJ?

Old
08-07-2004, 04:41 PM
SuperUnknown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackett
I know that dork (Dan Pollard from tsn) picked the habs to finish 13th last year. Even the most pessimistic habs supporter would say that is a bit harsh.

Yeah, I agree, the habs do seen to get the short end of the stick in magazines like the forcaster...... oh well, all the more motivation for the habs (that is if they pay attention to a somewhat less credible magazine)
Besides, if the Montreal scorers get as many points as the forecaster projects, there's no way Montreal finishes 10th.

I find that forecaster is over enthusiastic or over pessimistic with many players. They're hardly ever spot on.

Old
08-07-2004, 04:42 PM
SuperUnknown

Quote:
So Bonk moves to No 2 for the sake of argument. Who plays centre on the third line? Under CJ's system, this is the line that typically gets the most ice time and checks the opposing team's top forwards. Plekanec still hasn't made the team yet. Nor has Higgins for that matter. At least Perreault was an offensive player and could fill in as a no 2 centre in a pinch. He's not coming back and nor is Juneau. You are still one NHL calibre centre short by my reckoning and moving Bonk affects the overall team defense.

Dagenais showed he can't play with anybody else but Ribs. He can't skate and has no grit. He's a one trick pony and a luxury player at best. Who fills in at right wing when he's benched by CJ?
The lines will just be remade if Ribeiro goes down. Bonk will still get the most ice-time, but he'll probably have more skilled wingers and get more points.

Old
08-07-2004, 04:45 PM
Ape Clutch

Send a message via MSN to Ape Clutch Send a message via Yahoo to Ape Clutch
Quote:
So Bonk moves to No 2 for the sake of argument. Who plays centre on the third line? Under CJ's system, this is the line that typically gets the most ice time and checks the opposing team's top forwards.
What ppl forget is that Claude Julien has always been A forechecking Coach. He implemented a system for the sake of having one, because prior to his arrival our players were running around the ice like a bunch of headless chickens.

Now that our team has grown, and continues to grow he will probably gradually switch to a offensive forchecking system, like the one he had with the Olympiques and I think also with Hamilton. This will give more ice time to lines like Saku's and make the 3rd line less depended upon as it was for the past 3 years.

We are a growing team, a learning team, we evolve, and the pace at which we will evolve will depend on how fast Julien will want to implement his Forechecking system. I believe in Julien and his abilities, who cares what other ppl think of our Habz, let them see us as the worst team in the LEAGUE for all I CARE, Julien and the Boyz will make those Leaf pro-addicts and Other nhl losers EAT CROWE!!

And frankly as Habz fan... what more could we ask for...?

Old
08-07-2004, 05:02 PM
Duster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smail
The lines will just be remade if Ribeiro goes down. Bonk will still get the most ice-time, but he'll probably have more skilled wingers and get more points.
Well, that's like saying that CJ will work magic and the team will muddle through somehow. Bonk was playing with pretty good wingers in Ottawa. The team doesn't have Martin Havlat, Marian Hossa and co. In fact, if Kovalev doesn't return, you might possibly see another rookie on the roster playing with Koivu and Zed. Who do we have as a scoring right winger right now in our system? Only Kostitisyn...

My original argument is still valid. The team, as it stands, will be lucky to make the playoffs due to lack of depth. Theo will have to stand on his head again this year, IMO. The Forecaster is not far wrong.

Edit: added Kostitsyn...

Last edited by Duster: 08-07-2004 at 05:31 PM.
Old
08-07-2004, 05:37 PM
SuperUnknown

Quote:
Well, that's like saying that CJ will work magic and the team will muddle through somehow. Bonk was playing with pretty good wingers in Ottawa. The team doesn't have Martin Havlat, Marian Hossa and co. In fact, if Kovalev doesn't return, you might possibly see another rookie on the roster playing with Koivu and Zed. Who do we have as a scoring right winger right now in our system? Only Kostitisyn...

My original argument is still valid. The team, as it stands, will be lucky to make the playoffs due to lack of depth. Theo will have to stand on his head again this year, IMO. The Forecaster is not far wrong.

Edit: added Kostitsyn...
Last year, Juneau was useless anyway. Begin was already better than Juneau for the 3rd line job. Also, you might not agree, but imo there's no comparison: Bonk is a better player than Ribeiro overall. Sure, Bonk had one good winger last year (played most of the year with Hossa and... Varada), but he was also playing against the opposing best line. When Bonk was injured, Ottawa went through a slump.

As for the lack of Kovalev, let's just say that he was a non-factor last year during the reg season and we still made the playoffs (and despite lackluster performances from Theodore down the road). Hence, I don't see how not signing him would be that catastrophic.

I don't see how the current team is worse than last year's team...

Also, I don't think Montreal is necessarily playoff bound, but the numbers they post for the players would put us easily inside the playoffs, which doesn't make any sense with their 10th place prediction. You need to be consistent, and they simply aren't.

Old
08-07-2004, 10:07 PM
deandebean

Quote:
Agreed. They always seem to be way off when it comes to player stats. However, some points to consider:

- Will Souray and Ryder repeat last year's season statistically speaking?
- Just as much as some of the other teams in the conference were overrated last year, some make actually overachieve this year. I see a real dogfight for that last playoff spot as was the case last year.
- The Habs have not markedly improved personel wise. The only real addition has been Bonk.
- Which Theodore will show up? Is Huet up to the challenge just in case?
- An injury to Ribs makes Dagenais ineffective. Do you think Hossa will pick up the slack? With Ribs potentially gone, the team only has one offensive centre and that's Koivu. The team is still thin at centre and at right wing.
- Kovalev is not a sure thing.
- The defense was hardly peerless last year. There has been no changes made.

I can see why the Forecaster has some doubts.
the one thing that ALL forecasters forget, at least those with little hockey knowledge: a hockey team in the NHL these days win with: 1) a system; 2) commitment from the players; 3) solid goaltending. In that order. And, as far as I know, Claude and Bob have their players commited to the system. As for goaltending...

Old
08-07-2004, 10:08 PM
Beakermania*

For a copy of the forecaster go to

http://magazine.forecaster.ca/thestar/

Oh yeah, its free too!!

Old
08-07-2004, 10:41 PM
EaGLE1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakermania
For a copy of the forecaster go to

http://magazine.forecaster.ca/thestar/

Oh yeah, its free too!!
COOL! It's free!!!

I like reading the player analysis. There's always something you can learn!

Old
08-08-2004, 12:51 AM
Squeaky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanye West
What ppl forget is that Claude Julien has always been A forechecking Coach. He implemented a system for the sake of having one, because prior to his arrival our players were running around the ice like a bunch of headless chickens.

Now that our team has grown, and continues to grow he will probably gradually switch to a offensive forchecking system, like the one he had with the Olympiques and I think also with Hamilton. This will give more ice time to lines like Saku's and make the 3rd line less depended upon as it was for the past 3 years.

We are a growing team, a learning team, we evolve, and the pace at which we will evolve will depend on how fast Julien will want to implement his Forechecking system. I believe in Julien and his abilities, who cares what other ppl think of our Habz, let them see us as the worst team in the LEAGUE for all I CARE, Julien and the Boyz will make those Leaf pro-addicts and Other nhl losers EAT CROWE!!

And frankly as Habz fan... what more could we ask for...?
Great post, and I think I agree. I can't comment on what kind of a coach CJ has been in the past, but I can't see the habs becoming a purely trap team. Just take a look at who the team will be built around (only the forwards, for this): Koivu, Ribs, Ryder, Higgins, Kost, Perez, Hossa, Pleks, and maybe a few guys like Chipchura, Milroy, Urqhart, Locke...Most of these players are much better suited for an offensive style game. Koivu has good defense, but he's primarily a great passer. Ribs too. Ryder lives an dies by his shot. Kost apparently isn't much of a checker. What's great about most of our players/prospects is that they can play in both ends of the ice, but you have to admit that most of these guys play an offensive sort of game.

I see the habs in a few years being totally different then they have been in the past. Probably still be relying on great goaltending, but that's where the similarities end. Eventually the habs will either be a great offensive team who can fill the net, or they'll suck. Most of our prospects will only be good in the NHL if they can score. The way I like to think about it is the Sens, except with top-notch goaltending.

Old
08-08-2004, 12:59 AM
Fanfrombc

Guys does anyone of you know how to access the the forcaster on line. I went to the website and then they sent me a site, but I am unable to download what they send me. Can anyone make any suggestions. thanks in advance

Old
08-08-2004, 03:16 AM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanfrombc
Guys does anyone of you know how to access the the forcaster on line. I went to the website and then they sent me a site, but I am unable to download what they send me. Can anyone make any suggestions. thanks in advance
1) If you are using hotmail, try cutting and pasting the link they sent you into your address bar instead of just clicking on it.
2) Update your Adobe software to the latest version. 6.0.2 i believe for the Reader.

Closed Thread