HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Still rumors of PHX interest in Isbister

Closed Thread

Old
08-06-2004, 06:34 PM
Asiaoil

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thome_26
what's all this Brewer trade talk?! I would be floored if Lowe decided that 150k was to much extra for Brewer to lead the defense and decided to trade him!
Money is not the issue really - it's the fact that it's a one year deal and this has major financial implications at this stage of Brew's career (as I pointed out above).

As well - the Oilers seem to have some sort of self-imposed cap for the dmen salaries IMHO:

Brew $2.65 plus bonuses
Smith - let's say about the same as Brew
Staios - about $2.3 million I think
Cross - $1.1 million
Ulanov - $750,000
Semenov - $900,000
MAB - - let's say same as Semenov

That's $11.2 million and I have a feeling their self-imposed cap is something closer to $10 million. If they don't sign Nedved they could then use Salo's salary to fund all the raises. Of course Lowe would then have to find some lower cost solution to the #1 center issue - and I'm not holding my breath on that one becuase I think the plan is to wait on all the kids we have drafted.

Old
08-06-2004, 07:05 PM
misfit

vCash: 50
Quote:
I don't think our blueline survies getting Tababe in return for Brewer. Even a Brewer playing bad is very important to our team.
Agreed on both counts, and maybe Tanabe was a bad example, but a trade like this would make room in the budget, and give us another asset in which we could use to aquire a defenceman from a team like the Islanders who look like they could be letting one of their top 4 go due to salary concerns (dare I say, Niinimaa). Of course, it couldn't be the end of our off-season trades/signings.

Personally, I have no problems with Brewer's contract (although I wish it was a longer term), and in no way do I expect anything of this nature to happen, but it is fun to think about from time to time.

Old
08-06-2004, 08:16 PM
SerbianEagle

Quote:
2003-04 Phoenix Coyotes NHL 81 21 31 52 40
Those are Langkows stats for last season. Not bad, but hardly what a #1 center should get. Brewer for Langkow and Spiller yes, Langkow for Isbister and Brewer no.

IMO #1C should be close to a PPG which 52 points isn't.

Quote:
Height 5.11 -- Weight 185 -- Shoots L
Wasn't everyone complaining that Comrie was small and thus not effective in the playoffs? Langkow doesn't appear to be much bigger and is under 6.0".

Old
08-06-2004, 08:21 PM
igor*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SerbianEagle
Those are Langkows stats for last season. Not bad, but hardly what a #1 center should get. Brewer for Langkow and Spiller yes, Langkow for Isbister and Brewer no.

IMO #1C should be close to a PPG which 52 points isn't.

Wasn't everyone complaining that Comrie was small and thus not effective in the playoffs? Langkow doesn't appear to be much bigger and is under 6.0".
Langkow looks like a legitimate 5'11" or so. And a solid guy too, like Weight.

I don't know what Comrie's listed height is, what? 5"10"? ... in truth the boy is about 5'6". He's shorter than Sather for Christmas sakes ... and he's another guy who lied about his height for his whole career,

Old
08-06-2004, 08:57 PM
Hemsky is a gangsta
Hemsky is a gangsta

re

Comrie is listed as 5'9"

If Phoenix is interested in Isbister, IMO it's great news. They always overpay for guys

Old
08-06-2004, 09:10 PM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asiaoil
Money is not the issue really - it's the fact that it's a one year deal and this has major financial implications at this stage of Brew's career (as I pointed out above).

As well - the Oilers seem to have some sort of self-imposed cap for the dmen salaries IMHO:

Brew $2.65 plus bonuses
Smith - let's say about the same as Brew
Staios - about $2.3 million I think
Cross - $1.1 million
Ulanov - $750,000
Semenov - $900,000
MAB - - let's say same as Semenov

That's $11.2 million and I have a feeling their self-imposed cap is something closer to $10 million. If they don't sign Nedved they could then use Salo's salary to fund all the raises. Of course Lowe would then have to find some lower cost solution to the #1 center issue - and I'm not holding my breath on that one becuase I think the plan is to wait on all the kids we have drafted.
So you think that they'll move Brewer over money before they move Cross or Ulanov or Staios or Bergeron!?!?!!??!? 'Fraid not buddy. If your idea of a 10 million cap for defense is correct, then Cross alone would get us VERY close to that.

08-06-2004, 09:51 PM
speeds

Quote:
So you think that they'll move Brewer over money before they move Cross or Ulanov or Staios or Bergeron!?!?!!??!? 'Fraid not buddy. If your idea of a 10 million cap for defense is correct, then Cross alone would get us VERY close to that.
reportedly PHX is interested in a depth D for the 3rd pair, maybe an Izzy + Cross package is of use to them???

Igor, would you mind tossing me some stats on Tanabe, looking at the raw data from nhl.com it seems like he had a big step forward of a season, would you agree?

DAVID TANABE PHO D 45 5 7 12 +4 23:02 (and I don't recall for sure, but I think before he was injured he was playing more minutes than Mara)
He's a guy that I like (man can he skate), but admittedly I've seen very little of him.

given the team the +/- is very good, but he missed a bunch of games so maybe he just missed the bad stretch? Or perhaps his absence was a part in the bad stretch?

Old
08-06-2004, 10:36 PM

Don't worry about Spiller, Taffe, Langkow, Mara or Tanabe. They would not be moved in any deals unless you were talking about ones involving Brewer, and I'm not even saying straight up for Brewer. Brewer isn't quite the guy the Coyotes would be aiming for at this point as it is.

Management is very high on Spiller & Ballard, they are probably a year from being NHL regulars after a good AHL seasoning this year. The organizational depth is still way too shallow to give up prospects unless the team has given up on players like Taffe, which they have yet to.

Honestly, Isbister isn't that great of a fit, and would be a 3rd liner on the Coyotes (Doan, Nagy, Comrie, Langkow, Hull, Johnson top 6) so you wouldn't be seeing a guy like Langkow go for Isbister. The Coyotes only have quantity to give up in a trade at this point, so if you are looking at the glut of forwards in the #7-15 area, you could probably snag a couple of them or a Brad Ference in a trade, otherwise the Coyotes are too weak to deal from the top.

Old
08-06-2004, 11:03 PM
xerburt

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCoyotes
The Coyotes only have quantity to give up in a trade at this point, so if you are looking at the glut of forwards in the #7-15 area, you could probably snag a couple of them or a Brad Ference in a trade, otherwise the Coyotes are too weak to deal from the top.
Boy does this sentence ever sum up the current state of the Oilers. In fact, just substitute "Coyotes" for "Oilers" and the truth of the statement still rings true. Put together with sketchy defence and questionable goaltending, and the two teams are eerily becoming close replicas of each other!

Old
08-07-2004, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xerburt
Boy does this sentence ever sum up the current state of the Oilers. In fact, just substitute "Coyotes" for "Oilers" and the truth of the statement still rings true. Put together with sketchy defence and questionable goaltending, and the two teams are eerily becoming close replicas of each other!
That's why the only trade you'll see between the two teams is Jason Chimera for a draft pick, two similar worlds collide and produce quite little. Two different worlds collide and produce a far greater result.

Old
08-07-2004, 12:44 AM
Asiaoil

Quote:
But you would have to replace Cross, Ulanov or MAB and it's unlikely you do that for less money. I would deal Staios before Brew if Brew didn't have a 1 year deal. Look why is it so difficult to see that with a 1 year contract Brew will either bloom and be traded due to salary demands - or suck and degrade his trade value because of his salary and stale potential label. It aint complicated So trading him at sometimes this season may make sense from a business perspetive even though you probably keep him ahead of Staios from a straight hockey point of view.

I think they may just keep the Nedved dream alive for as long as possible (clearly we are a last resort option for him) and use Salo's dollars to fund raises all around. Achievable but not very entertaining and it certainly doesn't address the #1 center issue.

Last edited by Asiaoil: 08-07-2004 at 12:49 AM.
Old
08-07-2004, 01:04 AM
FacelessButcher

Quote:
If your idea of a 10 million cap for defense is correct, then Cross alone would get us VERY close to that.
Cross would get us there alone Staios makes $2 million next year, a large part of his deal was paid upfront with the $800,000 signing bonus. I also find it unlikely Bergeron would make as much as Semenov he's played less games and the market/demand for small defense men is not very good, he'll be closer to Ulanov's price level then Semenov's.

Old
08-07-2004, 01:46 AM
Asiaoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by FacelessButcher
Cross would get us there alone Staios makes $2 million next year, a large part of his deal was paid upfront with the $800,000 signing bonus. I also find it unlikely Bergeron would make as much as Semenov he's played less games and the market/demand for small defense men is not very good, he'll be closer to Ulanov's price level then Semenov's.
I have no idea what the Oilers actually use as a cap for their defense - but I'm pretty sure that raises for Brew, Staios, Smith, Semi and MAB will stretch the budget. It will be interesting to see what they do. Probably they wait for training camp to see if one of Lynch/Woywitka can eat decent minutes and see if Semi is ready for the top 4. If these guys look good then one of Brew, Smith or Staios may be history.

Old
08-07-2004, 02:45 AM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCoyotes
Spiller, Taffe, Langkow, Mara or Tanabe. .....and I'm not even saying straight up for Brewer.
LMAO :lol

Ya, The Coyotes wouldn't jump on a Tanable for Brewer or a Taffe for Brewer or a Spiller for Brewer..... you're kidding yourself if you think either of those three has even NEAR the value Brewer does. Langkow I understand that they probably wouldn't want to trade him - but you can't be serious about the other three, and if you are, I worry for you.

Old
08-07-2004, 08:50 PM
TkachevYak2Slepy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMackey
Tell me I didn't read this. If he makes that deal he should be fired.

I like Langkow a lot. He has a number of tools that the Oilers could use, and is maybe one of the most underrated players in the league.

But whether or not you like Brewer (I know you don't), he has serious trade value and could fetch much much more than Langkow IMO. And if PHO is chasing Isbister, then he's more than simply a throw in.

Maybe Isbister, Brewer and ??? for Langkow and Mara. Not that a deal like that would ever happen, I don't think Mara's on the table.

I'd want Taffe or Spiller for Isbister (although we don't really need a guy like Spiller... I just like the way he plays).

Old
08-08-2004, 02:51 AM

Quote:

Ya, The Coyotes wouldn't jump on a Tanable for Brewer or a Taffe for Brewer or a Spiller for Brewer..... you're kidding yourself if you think either of those three has even NEAR the value Brewer does. Langkow I understand that they probably wouldn't want to trade him - but you can't be serious about the other three, and if you are, I worry for you.
Way to take the context of a message and manipulate it to say something totally different.

If you are intent on making me look like a bigger homer than you fine, have fun.

Brewer > Tanabe
Brewer >>> Taffe
Brewer >>> Spiller

So now what's your point?

As I said earlier, these teams don't mix because they have similar needs, deficiencies, and strengths.

Old
08-08-2004, 02:59 AM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Don't worry about Spiller, Taffe, Langkow, Mara or Tanabe. They would not be moved in any deals unless you were talking about ones involving Brewer, and I'm not even saying straight up for Brewer.
Now what impression did you think that would give? Your second sentence is clear - and it strongly appears that you are implying that second sentence to all involved - as you made no note otherwise. Yes, I am a homer - but it's not like I have poor judgement of other players and our own because of it.

But yes - I would have to agree with you that the Coyotes aren't in a possition where they need to gamble on top six forwards as they have 6 atleast fairly decent ones. I don't recall exactly - but prior to the Hull signing - a deal WOULD have made sense, no?

Old
08-08-2004, 06:58 AM
Law Dawg

Quote:

I have to agree. Eric Brewer is a far superior player to all those three players named. I can't see those deals happening unless other pieces are added to the puzzle, particularly on the Coyotes side. I also have a serious doubt over whether the Oilers would ever trade Brewer .....

Closed Thread