HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Back on ice

Old
01-25-2009, 12:35 PM
DAkings20
Kings can't score

vCash: 500
Back on ice

So I used to play youth hockey in leagues and what not and decided to stop playing when I was around 14. I am now 19 and last night I went skating for the first time in 5 years. Now I thought I was gonna have to become a beginner again and learn how to skate all over again. But when I got onto the ice it was like I had never stopped playing hockey this whole time, I had a great time and am thinking of picking up skating again and maybe even adult hockey one day. only problem was the crappy rental skates, they were horrible and needed to be sharpened desperately, but all in all it was great.

Anyone else ever take a big break between skating and come back and do fine?

DAkings20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2009, 12:45 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 424
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
I did. I stopped playing at right around when I first started high school at around age 15. Well I am 23 now and beyond college. I still haven't played against others since, but I have been skating off and on every other week/month. Lately I have been really thinking about picking up some new skates and looking into some local leagues. But first, I am looking into those skates and see if I can get my legs back.

“We still have a lot of guys who haven't scored a goal since Jesus was a baby.” - Darryl Sutter
Telos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2009, 01:02 PM
theone17

Send a message via AIM to theone17
i have never stopped playing ice ...and from what i hear .....ice skating is like riding a bike once u get it, you'll never forget.

theone17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2009, 01:12 PM
DIEHARD jr

I missed one season and the same thing happened I came back and played great

DIEHARD jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2009, 01:16 PM
Super MooCow

i stopped for 10 years.....not as good as i used to be, but i blame age for that

yeah it took me about 1 season(10 games) to get back on track

Super MooCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2009, 01:38 PM
Riposte!

I'm trying to stay in practice, too. If any of you guys are close by the Culver City ice rink and want some training partners at a stick time or pick-up session there sometime during the week, I'm down.

Riposte! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2009, 04:19 PM
DIEHARD the King fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riposte! View Post
I'm trying to stay in practice, too. If any of you guys are close by the Culver City ice rink and want some training partners at a stick time or pick-up session there sometime during the week, I'm down.
I am still coming back from injury, and although I have played in some pick-up games of late, I am not near the level of play I was at when I broke my leg in a tournament in Vegas in late September.

I play at Culver in the pick-up games Sunday mornings, but mid-week daytime stick-time is near impossible for me to make.

DIEHARD the King fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2009, 05:30 PM
markisonfire

I did the same thing. It had been about six or seven years since I skated. After about an hour of skating it was like I never quit. Only problem for me was I had to break in new skates.

markisonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2009, 08:16 PM
Zad
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAkings20 View Post
So I used to play youth hockey in leagues and what not and decided to stop playing when I was around 14. I am now 19 and last night I went skating for the first time in 5 years. Now I thought I was gonna have to become a beginner again and learn how to skate all over again. But when I got onto the ice it was like I had never stopped playing hockey this whole time, I had a great time and am thinking of picking up skating again and maybe even adult hockey one day. only problem was the crappy rental skates, they were horrible and needed to be sharpened desperately, but all in all it was great.

Anyone else ever take a big break between skating and come back and do fine?
Love the post.

It's been a while.

I miss it.

I miss it a lot.

Zad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2009, 11:58 PM
motalar

I stopped playing hockey and skating in general for the past 5 years due to some back/disk problems, but lately I have felt pretty good so last week I went skating at Valley Ice. I was really nervous but everyone is right, you never really forget.
On a related note, if anyone can recommend a good place to purchase shoulder pads and shin guards, I would be grateful. I went into the garage to check on my stuff (after 5yrs of them sitting on a shelf) and it seems a mouse or multiple mice had bored into my bag and used my stuff as a nest and sh** all over everything. There was literally like a 100+ little sh**s over my gear. Anyway, I threw it all out and I need new stuff.

motalar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2009, 04:05 AM
KingsKnight
What did Richie do??

I took two years off to concentrate on school and when I came back the mental part of the game was still there, but my endurance was totally gone. It took about 3 weeks to get my endurance back and about 5 weeks to feel completely comfortable.

KingsKnight is offline   Reply With Quote